PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Watch [Very Old Thread from 2022]

Parker looks lost? I agree. Bourne with a route tree greater than Myers? Can't agree with that. More athletic and dynamic than Myers? I agree. No idea why you think Bourne's route tree is better than Myers. Myers runs and adjusts amazingly. I am not anti-Bourne, and Parker can sit a lot more. I think it is one of BB's things where Parker is bigger and a much better blocker, so he gets snaps.
Bourne runs every route that Meyers does, and the fly, corner, and post routes. Meyers runs routes 1-4, particularly because he’s so shifty in and out of his cuts, but can’t get separation on the deeper routes. Bourne has the more robust route tree. Meyers is a better route runner on the underneath and intermediate routes.

Not a great game for Mac. Thank god we won.

I thought they blitzed Mac quite a bit, the O-line just did a great job picking it up.

I do agree though, I see teams focusing on Meyers as Mac seems to want to target him the most. In addition, I still don't think targeting Meyers so much will work against a team that can put up points quickly as it took the Pats a long time to move downfield today. We need more big plays that Agholor had to
This shows that he was not blitzed once. Miami looks about right at 7 times blitzed and 2 sacks, but this table could be off.

I'm just not seeing the general negativity around Mac. He's made some boneheaded post-snap throws and I thought he looked a bit skittish against Miami. Save for the really bad near-INT, I thought he had a fine game against Pittsburgh. The Parker INT wasn't great but on 3rd down, that amounts to a bad punt ... not a horrible outcome.

To me he looks a lot like the guy he was last season, and perhaps is throwing a bit better on his short-intermediate stuff. Far from a giant leap, but incremental progress in places and continues to look strong in the areas we (or I) expect him to be. He still has a long way to go and he can elevate his game, but I don't see a bad quarterback when I watch him play.

I hate to say this, but if McDaniels is fired, he should come back to be the OC. I am not happy with Patricia as OC. Mac has regressed due to not having a real OC.

I hate to say this, but if McDaniels is fired, he should come back to be the OC. I am not happy with Patricia as OC. Mac has regressed due to not having a real OC.

See, I think the offensive play-calling has been less predictable and more balanced this season. They're not boxing themselves in corners with their personnel/formations. They did some good stuff on Sunday setting up plays, especially late. The run game is creative and effective; lots of traps, toss-sweeps with a pulling C. Spreading the field a lot more when both running and passing.

It's far from perfect but I'm encouraged with the philosophical direction, it's a breath of fresh air.

Mac looks to have regressed so far but it really isn't a surprise considering the coaching situation. Still making bad decisions and they seem to be more frequent in the first two weeks.

I have no idea what this thread is all about. I've been around football for a long time. I think Mac is a good NFL QB. Not in the top 10 but certainly not in the bottom 10, maybe top 15 or above. Rule of thumb has been that a good QB will make a jump in year 3 and reach close to full potential in year 5. There is also a term called the sophomore slump, which I don't see that in Mac so far.

I would like to see Mac take what the defense gives him more, and to do it quickly. Get your WRs into open space and get some YAC. I see players peeling out that could be hit in stride. He is looking downfield a lot and maybe that is by design but I have to feel that if they wore out the defense some, the bigger plays would be there later on. He'd also be more mechanically sound if he's more decisive.

I can't see the coaching film or what's going on downfield so I don't know if Patricia's play designs are going into open space. I'm a little worried receivers are bunching up, because I saw that several times yesterday. If they're rubbing off of each other, that's fine, but a lot of the time it looks like identical routes with one underneath.

That being said, I really really like the mix of plays that Patricia runs. He seems to intuitively know when to go run, when to go pass, and not only based on down and yards for 1st down. He's mixing it up well, he's not predictable.

Last edited:
Mac looks to have regressed so far but it really isn't a surprise considering the coaching situation. Still making bad decisions and they seem to be more frequent in the first two weeks.
Don't tell that to some because Mac is so much better than Tua and is a budding Hofer.

You know this after two games? Against Pitt, Mac moved around better in the pocket and changed plays at the line for a beautiful final clock killing final drive. Sure Mac has to be more accurate, and improve his decisions, but last year everyone wanted the reins to be removed from Mac and this year the Pats have done that. Now we have to be patient and watch to see how Mac grows with the reins removed. It will take time.

I have no idea what this thread is all about. I've been around football for a long time. I think Mac is a good NFL QB. Not in the top 10 but certainly not in the bottom 10, maybe top 15 or above. Rule of thumb has been that a good QB will make a jump in year 3 and reach close to full potential in year 5. There is also a term called the sophomore slump, which I don't see that in Mac so far.

He's closer to the bottom-10 than the top-10... Much closer...

What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
Back