PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac vs Fields

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
The question whether the Pats should have traded up for Fields has been answered and it's a no. That would have been a terrible move. We would have no first round pick in April. Pats need all the draft help they can get right now on the defensive side of the ball.

I agree with Perry that the Patriots would have still probably opted for Mac Jones if Justin Fields was on the board at 15. Jones can run the offense the way it's set up. Also Jones for sure has the advantage over Fields with coaching. Even though Fields wasn't put in the best position to succeed last year he also takes way too many sacks. There's no reason for a guy with his mobility to not be able to escape the rush and take the sacks that he does. But I think Fields will get better next year so it will be interesting to see how they measure up a year from now.

Last edited:
I'll admit I was big on Fields, I really liked the idea of having a mobile QB like a Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, etc

However I'm happier than pig in s*** that we landed Mac, hes a very likeable guy, great character, hard worker, very smart and accurate QB who took us to the playoffs as a rookie.. VERY DIFFICULT TO DO!

Excited for the future and for the upcoming draft, if they can put together another draft like last year we will be golden!

The question whether the Pats should have traded up for Fields has been answered and it's a no. That would have been a terrible move. We would have no first round pick in April. Pats need all the draft help they can get right now on the defensive side of the ball.

I agree with Perry that the Patriots would have still probably opted for Mac Jones if Justin Fields was on the board at 15. Jones can run the offense the way it's set up. Also Jones for sure has the advantage over Fields with coaching. Even though Fields wasn't put in the best position to succeed last year he also takes way too many sacks. There's no reason for a guy with his mobility to not be able to escape the rush and take the sacks that he does. But I think Fields will get better next year so it will be interesting to see how they measure up a year from now.
Hard to say because the Bears are a joke. I think Fields would have flourished last year with our coaching and our roster.

That’s a fair article. I do think whatever extra draft capital it cost to move up would have been too precious to surrender this year, barring Jones completely collapsing and Fields blowing up.

Here is an interesting article that compared the 2 right before they faced off in the National Championship. I think it is difficult to compare their rookie seasons due to Fields being injured.

If both had been available at 15 (I would NOT have traded up for Either of them) and Bill had drafted Fields, Cam would've been our Opening Day starter... No way would Fields have been ready to take the job from him that early... And Fields definitely should've sat the Entire season in Chicago with two experienced, productive former starting QBs already in the building - barring injuries, of course. Too much, too soon...

Comments:

- I also wanted Fields and was saddened when the Bears traded up.

- But I love Mac and am so happy that we stood pat and got our QB without giving up additional draft capital. We will likely not draft higher than #15 for a long time. Had we taken...say Parsons or Surtain or something like that...we would be in a pickle this off season with no real QB's available other than a FA reclamation project or a raw rookie QB....

Fields held the Bears back last season.

The Bears have talent on offense. David Montgomery is a stud RB. Darnell Mooney definitely a # 1 WR. Cole Kemet is ready to break out if somebody will get him the ball.

Fields threw 7 TDs. He may as well change his name to Cam. QBs like him want to run. Its always in the back of their minds when the pass play doesnt develop as drawn. Running QBs are destined for IR in the NFL. Lamar Jackson finally crashed and burned when he zigged when he should have zagged. Ive been predicting his demise it for some time. Its crazy to expose your franchise player like that when NFL DBs hit like linebackers.

... And Fields definitely should've sat the Entire season in Chicago with two experienced, productive former starting QBs already in the building - barring injuries, of course. Too much, too soon...
Totally agree with this. I think the Bears have, at the very least, stunted Fields’ development and at most, ruined another young QB.

If both had been available at 15 (I would NOT have traded up for Either of them) and Bill had drafted Fields, Cam would've been our Opening Day starter... No way would Fields have been ready to take the job from him that early... And Fields definitely should've sat the Entire season in Chicago with two experienced, productive former starting QBs already in the building - barring injuries, of course. Too much, too soon...
should have been sat... if we had any other viable option at qb besides Cam Newton, I would have wanted Mac riding the pine last year as well...

as for Fields, Nagy was trying to buy himself some time, pulling out all the stops trying to save his job... that obviously didn't work... The Red Rocket aka dog penis Andy Dalton should have been the sacrificial lamb for the whole season ... and when he couldnt go, thats when Big ****head Nick should have been offered up to the football gods... why pay those guys all that money and not use them as the punching bags they were meant to be?

remains to be seen if there will be negative consequences to the overall development of justin fields as a result...

Ashley is very happy we drafted Mac!!!!!
Ummm...

64lvzn.gif

should have been sat... if we had any other viable option at qb besides Cam Newton, I would have wanted Mac riding the pine last year as well...

as for Fields, Nagy was trying to buy himself some time, pulling out all the stops trying to save his job... that obviously didn't work... The Red Rocket aka dog penis Andy Dalton should have been the sacrificial lamb for the whole season ... and when he couldnt go, thats when Big ****head Nick should have been offered up to the football gods... why pay those guys all that money and not use them as the punching bags they were meant to be?

remains to be seen if there will be negative consequences to the overall development of justin fields as a result...
Jones is soooo far ahead by playing than he would have been if he sat. Fields is too, it’s just not as obvious to see.
Playing football is the way you get better at football.

I didn't like Fields because of his throwing motion and he relies on his legs. It ain't pretty and I can't think of one QB that was successful other than Aaron Rodgers that changed his awful throwing motion.

I don't know how successful Mac will be, but he was the right choice at #15. In fact, the other QB's being taken made the choice very easy.

I think that Belichick

1) was fine with either Fields or Jones.

2) was not willing to beat out the offer needed to move up for his choice of the two.

3) Belichick was not even willing to move up to 14 for Jones. As was shown, someone could have traded into 14 to choose a QB. Fortunately, someone moved into 14 for an offensive lineman.

4) Given that Belichick was willing to lose Jones rather than give MN say a 4th, I would say that he was fine with Jones at 15, but would have willing to trade down to get Mills or Trask. I would have been fine with Mills. Of course, since the idea to build around the QB, Belichick would have likely drafted a QB in the first to have control over him for the 5th year.

5) Would we better off with Mills and another 2nd? Perhaps, or perhaps not. Of course, trading down providing no guarantee at getting Bill's choice at the end of the first.

BOTTOM LINE
We got fine value at 15, drafting a starting QB with a future.

I think that Belichick

3) Belichick was not even willing to move up to 14 for Jones. As was shown, someone could have traded into 14 to choose a QB. Fortunately, someone moved into 14 for an offensive lineman.

4) Given that Belichick was willing to lose Jones rather than give MN say a 4th, I would say that he was fine with Jones at 15, but would have willing to trade down to get Mills or Trask. I would have been fine with Mills. Of course, since the idea to build around the QB, Belichick would have likely drafted a QB in the first to have control over him for the 5th year.
BB said that they looked into moving up, but the asking prices were out of line with past years.

"Strawberry Fields forever....lah lah lah"...you're trippin' if you think Fields is anything other than a plowhorse in a jumpy punk leotard...

Hard to say because the Bears are a joke. I think Fields would have flourished last year with our coaching and our roster.
Better situation than Chicago? Absolutely.

Flourished? Unlikely. Fields was going to need to sit and learn no matter where he ended up. High likelihood that Cam would’ve been our starter until the staff felt Fields was ready.

Comments:

- I also wanted Fields and was saddened when the Bears traded up.

- But I love Mac and am so happy that we stood pat and got our QB without giving up additional draft capital. We will likely not draft higher than #15 for a long time. Had we taken...say Parsons or Surtain or something like that...we would be in a pickle this off season with no real QB's available other than a FA reclamation project or a raw rookie QB....
I would rather have Parsons and Mills, than Mac and Bentley/Uche.

We don't know if Mac's the guy. Parson's a beast, a game changer.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back