PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones vs Gardner Minshew II

Nice comparison . Mineshew had one great season and came crashing in second. Similar with Mac though his second season performance was greatly determined by external factors beyond his control . So we might need to actually erase off his second year stats and then compare .

Minshew is a back up.

I really liked Minshew when he was in JAX. Quick decision maker who always kept his eyes down field and always had that sense of where his check down was without looking for it by moving his head; instead always resetting his feet. Polar opposite of Trevor Lawrence; who was/is a physically gifted athlete, but a longterm project who had/has yet to learn the basics. I never truly understood the value of footwork in the pocket until I saw how awful Trevor was his rookie year, compared to Minshew in his 1st and 2nd years. I'm not exaggerating. You would never pick up on it in college football, outside the SEC, either; I watched their games on YouTube. The game moves way too slow, and QBs can get away with poor footwork in the pocket, and the disciplined QBs don't need it.

Minshew's arm strength and draft position hurt him. And Jacksonville didn't really give him support, they figured his ceiling was low so they just gutted the team and tanked and basically told Minshew to play them out of a number 1 pick

I always liked Minshew. Thought he could do well for the Jags if they gave him what he needed. Which they kind of didn’t.

Nice comparison . Mineshew had one great season and came crashing in second. Similar with Mac though his second season performance was greatly determined by external factors beyond his control . So we might need to actually erase off his second year stats and then compare .
Mac had a great season... when was that?

And no, you don't get to "erase" an entire season. Can I erase 2013 when BB sent Brady adrift with Dobson, Boyce, and Thompkins? How about that '06 clown show? I don't remember making excuses for Brady then when he was dragging those teams to 12 wins and AFCCGs.

Minshew was better over that sample size.

It is meaningless as Mac has to take leap in Y3 to be a viable long term option. Mac's Y3 is all that matters.

Mac needs to step up because Zappe is standing over his shoulder.

Mac needs to play like he did the first 13 games of 2021. He went from playing 13 games in college to playing 18 games as a pro... he was pudgy and out of shape as a rookie. He had a 97 QB Rating through 13 weeks, he had 79 QB Rating the rest of the way.

He's in better cardiovascular shape and stronger now... time to step up and show the results of his development.

And no, you don't get to "erase" an entire season. Can I erase 2013 when BB sent Brady adrift with Dobson, Boyce, and Thompkins? How about that '06 clown show? I don't remember making excuses for Brady then when he was dragging those teams to 12 wins and AFCCGs.
Mac's Rookie season was one of the better rookie seasons for QB's in recent years and by FAR better than any of the 4 QB's drafted in front of him. His critics somehow seem to CONTINUALLY forget that small tidbit. It seems that it doesn't seem to fit within their particular narrative so out it goes.

the perfect thread to return to after hibachi and a scorpion bowl with the wife

thank you Universe

Dobson wasn’t terrible (he just couldn’t catch a break injury-wise), and neither was Thompkins. Boyce obviously wasn’t great, but that duo wasn’t horrible. I won’t argue 06, but as for that one, it still could have been way worse.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back