PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Mac Jones traded to Jags for a 6th

Except for they aren't facts at all. They are what someone told a reporter to be a fact. I believe one was Lombardi, who wasn't around the team. Where did he get the information? From someone else? Who?
Where did a guy who used to work for the Patriots and is one of Bill's best friends get information that Bill liked Davis Mills and leaked it post-draft... seriously?
So the reported facts are from a reporter who heard it from someone who was told by someone else. That's not a fact. It's a rumor.
The only person in our two way exchange dealing in absolutes is you. I never once claimed to know for sure, and said it was opinion or based on reports from multiple sources.
OTOH, Phil Perry quoted a source that was in-the-room, who said the Mac pick was by all the personnel staff (incl. Bill) and it had nothing to do with Kraft. The video of the draft room right before the Mac pick confirms the report. Which report is more credible?
What happened in that room, doesn't make Kraft going on TV and saying he was taking back the draft prior to it irrelevant. Kraft signs the checks.

Also if BB's plan involved taking a QB in the second or third round, I'm sure that raised some eyebrows in the owner's office.

Mac was Kraft's boy, long after he was stinking up the joint... that much was clear.

Except for they aren't facts at all. They are what someone told a reporter to be a fact. I believe one was Lombardi, who wasn't around the team. Where did he get the information? From someone else? Who?

So the reported facts are from a reporter who heard it from someone who was told by someone else. That's not a fact. It's a rumor.

OTOH, Phil Perry quoted a source that was in-the-room, who said the Mac pick was by all the personnel staff (incl. Bill) and it had nothing to do with Kraft. The video of the draft room right before the Mac pick confirms the report. Which report is more credible?
seriously who gives af? all these wild ass guesses about what went on behind closed doors years, decades ago. Is it to blame someone, is it so important to try to affix blame for drafting Mac Jones? It was the only pick to make at the time, surprised nobody, and most observers said it was a great job by the Patriots to stay at 15 and have Mac fall to them. It was a good pick. Even the good picks don't all work out, and he could still turn out to have a good career in the future. Just freakin enjoy the process that's going on right now, forget about trying to always blame someone for something. jfc.

Why do people keep quoting Lombardi? Who does he represent? Who's interests are aligned with what Lombardi says? He's Bill's mouth piece for the media. He hardly presents an unbiased opinion.
The "they thought he'd be an overachiever" came from a conversation about how Bill viewed Jones, and the two have a relationship that goes back decades. They thought Mac would be smart and careful with the football and would be good enough to be what they needed. They were obviously wrong.

They’re not the ones who keep bringing this crap up.
Of course they are. Both wuzzy and upstarter are on multiple threads endlessly white knighting for Bill. Blaming all the bad decisions on Kraft or others and all the good ones on Bill. Even on threads unrelated to Bill. It's tiresome because their posts are full of lies. They're constantly spewing lies to defend Bill. It's pathetic.

Of course they are. Both wuzzy and upstarter are on multiple threads endlessly white knighting for Bill. Blaming all the bad decisions on Kraft or others and all the good ones on Bill. Even on threads unrelated to Bill. It's tiresome because their posts are full of lies. They're constantly spewing lies to defend Bill. It's pathetic.
At the end of the day, Bill left the roster bereft of talent and made enough costly decisions to get himself fired. It's unfortunate, but we're on to 2024. Now we just have to hope the new group makes enough good decisions both on and off the field to get the team headed back in the right direction. "It is what it is."

Where did a guy who used to work for the Patriots and is one of Bill's best friends get information that Bill liked Davis Mills and leaked it post-draft... seriously?
Finally, we get to the correct answer. So, Bill after Mac takes a dump on the field, decides to tell Lombardi: you know Mike, I never wanted Mac. It was Kraft that made me do it.

Lol, sure sounds like an unbiased report.

The only person in our two way exchange dealing in absolutes is you. I never once claimed to know for sure, and said it was opinion or based on reports from multiple sources.
You said, and I quote: "Kraft took the draft away from Bill."
That, according to you, was based on what Kraft "said" in 2021. Sounds pretty absolute to me.

What happened in that room, doesn't make Kraft going on TV and saying he was taking back the draft prior to it irrelevant. Kraft signs the checks.
Except Kraft NEVER said he was taking the draft away. Not once. Not ever. Didn't happen. You are lying.

Also if BB's plan involved taking a QB in the second or third round, I'm sure that raised some eyebrows in the owner's office.
Who knows. I'm sure they had several mocks leading up to the draft. It's completely irrelevant to what actually happened.

Mac was Kraft's boy, long after he was stinking up the joint... that much was clear.
Mac was everyone's boy. This forum was full of Mac worshippers even at the beginning of this season. @Ian was one of them.

The fact you refer to it as white knighting implies they were responding to something they felt the need to defend.

seriously who gives af? all these wild ass guesses about what went on behind closed doors years, decades ago. Is it to blame someone, is it so important to try to affix blame for drafting Mac Jones? It was the only pick to make at the time, surprised nobody, and most observers said it was a great job by the Patriots to stay at 15 and have Mac fall to them. It was a good pick. Even the good picks don't all work out, and he could still turn out to have a good career in the future. Just freakin enjoy the process that's going on right now, forget about trying to always blame someone for something. jfc.
I agree w/ you. At the time it was deemed a good pick. People called Bill a genius for being patient and waiting for Mac to fall to 15. Pretty much everyone was pumped. Team needed a QB. I have no issues with it.

Now, we have wuzzy and upstarter lying and saying Bill was forced to make the pick. That Bill wanted Mills instead. Of course, years after the fact, it's Krafts fault, even though Bill was the GM. It's ridiculous. Tell them to stop lying and we're good.

The "they thought he'd be an overachiever" came from a conversation about how Bill viewed Jones, and the two have a relationship that goes back decades. They thought Mac would be smart and careful with the football and would be good enough to be what they needed. They were obviously wrong.
Right. Except now, Lombardi is saying Bill wanted Mills instead of Mac. How convenient and contradictory from what he previously said.

I don't think anyone myself included has enough respect for how hard it is to coach a Superbowl winning football team be that as a head coach, coordinator or even as an assistant.

Of the 32 current head coaches in the league how many rings do you think they have combined?

They could get their ring as an assistant, a coordinator, or a HC. As an example Brian Daboll has five of them all as an assistant with us.

Several were good enough to win their own as head coaches and obviously that's worth way more than what Daboll did but to the point and this was a very rough count I could only get to about 21-22 rings. And 5 were Daboll's Patriots rings and I couldn't tell you what he did in 01.

(This does not include rings gained as a player)

(McDaniels, McVay, Shannahan, McDermott, Zac Taylor, Quinn are considered some of the best HCs currently combined one ring)

(Disclaimer counting can be hard and it's late lol)

Without Bill there now everyone should be kissing Reids rings.

Last edited:
If we don't improve the offensive line or the receivers ASAP, we're going to be doing this again, sooner rather than later.

I'm surprised Zap's Ratings vs PIT and DEN were almost similar to what he put up at CLE. 3pts and half a point under, respectively. That being said, BB was all but wanting to give Zap the starting job, but he kept f'ing it up (like that horrid fake spike INT vs the Colts). For now, I'm still hangin by a thread on team Zap while drafting a top 5 QB in this draft.
Your right. Zapp played well in stretches. But I think many of us wondered if he had be given the job say after week 4 of the Cowboys debacle how would he had done. I think he stays on the roster to compete with the draft pick, brisset and maybe another late round QB project we may get say in the 6th round. I'm a big fan of whoever we pick if he shows he's ready by week 1, then absolutely start him.

Bill Belichick was right:

In the 2023 off-season, Belichick tried to trade Mac Jones and acquire Baker Mayfield.

Belichick knew Mac Jones didn’t have it.

Robert Kraft stepped in and vetoed the deal.

Kraft meddling sunk Belichick, the Patriots and Jones.

Maybe owners shouldn’t meddle.

From Savage Sports

BB blunderous decision to name Patricia and Judge as OC definitely played a big role in the regression of Jones….no question there. Mac had great chemistry with McD…..had he stayed in NE instead of leaving to LV….might have been a different outcome. But BB also whiffed on providing some big time offensive weapons and decent OL personnel as well which also set the table for failure. Mac has his share of the blame for sure but a lot of the issues fall on BB and staff
Your 100% accurate. That's what ultimately had ownership under the impression that getting Mac a real OC would be the difference. I just honestly believe Mac didn't trust Bill to put him in advantageous situations after Josh left and he saw who would be handling the offense. The lack of buy in and Mac feeling like he had to consult others outside. The relationship soured in 2022. Go figure the entire situation resulted in Mac and Bill both being gone!

Yup. I remember the video with BB asking all involved in that draft room including the "The Packer's Way" guy all nodding their head in agreement.

Moving on.

Bill Belichick was right:

In the 2023 off-season, Belichick tried to trade Mac Jones and acquire Baker Mayfield.

Belichick knew Mac Jones didn’t have it.

Robert Kraft stepped in and vetoed the deal.

Kraft meddling sunk Belichick, the Patriots and Jones.

Maybe owners shouldn’t meddle.

From Savage Sports
It's been reported this is completely false.

It's been reported this is completely false.
By whom, you? Sports reporters are held to 0 standards. They type **** all the time to get clicks. This is just as probable as what you say happened. The only difference is it goes against your narrative. I just posted it because it popped up on my feed this morning, and I found it germane to the discussion you and Wozzy were having.

By whom, you? Sports reporters are held to 0 standards. They type **** all the time to get clicks. This is just as probable as what you say happened. The only difference is it goes against your narrative. I just posted it because it popped up on my feed this morning, and I found it germane to the discussion you and Wozzy were having.
By the Patriots organization. You have an actual organization making a statement about something they would know and you have a rumor by an unnamed source. You decide which one is more credible.

I didn’t cite that tweet.

No, but you pushed the false narrative that Belichick tried to trade Mac Jones last offseason and Kraft blocked him. That was a debunked rumor.

Bill's biggest mistake with Mac, other than drafting him, was that he thought because Brady won with ok to average talent (at times) that Mac could too.

I was always in the camp that Bourne and Henry were pretty good though. We shall see.
Belichick was a hypocrite. For all his talk about how the players win games, he clearly didn’t really believe that. He arrogantly thought he could win with anyone, which is why the succession plan for Brady was such a clusterf***.

2020 was especially egregious. He didn’t even bother to sign the starting QB until July.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back