PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Mac Jones traded to Jags for a 6th

Guess we'll find out shortly if it was BB or if it was the player personnel people, since most of them are still here and have control of the draft.

No excuses, we have #3 overall and plenty of assets to trade up.

Personally I still feel the Mac pick was the right thing to do at #15, and feel that it should be "best QB available" till we're sure we have a keeper.

Otherwise you spend your time trying to turn trash (Mayfield, Cousins, etc) into treasure.

If the common wisdom here (everyone knew Mac was a bust at the end of season #1) is true, the mistake wasn't picking Mac, it was not replacing Mac.
The funniest part about this ^ is Wolf returning all the same players from last year, minus a couple old or broken down guys.

Add a stud QB, LT and find a Kicker in the draft, and watch how quickly basically the same roster contends... assuming health.

Surprised they got anything for this broken man. I was on record saying a 7th round pick at best. Guess I was wrong. Hard to say when the last time someone got a "steal" of a 6th round pick but I wouldn't hire Mac to wash my car. Buh-bye!

The funniest part about this ^ is Wolf returning all the same players from last year, minus a couple old or broken down guys.

Add a stud QB, LT and find a Kicker in the draft, and watch how quickly basically the same roster contends... assuming health.
Sorry I have no desire to take another kicker in the draft. We can find better than Rylands 2023 season as an UDFA. Use these picks on offense and defense.

Find the next Stroud and we can contend sooner than expected. LT is a must and this is the draft to pick up some WRs to replace your Parkers and Jujus of the world.

Sorry I have no desire to take another kicker in the draft. We can find better than Rylands 2023 season as an UDFA. Use these picks on offense and defense.

Find the next Stroud and we can contend sooner than expected. LT is a must and this is the draft to pick up some WRs to replace your Parkers and Jujus of the world.
They aren't going to get rid of Ryland. Are they going to bring another guy in to challenge him in camp? Yes. But they're not going to dump him (unless the other guy they bring in beats him out). Achord is gone so maybe a coaching change will help.

They aren't going to get rid of Ryland. Are they going to bring another guy in to challenge him in camp? Yes. But they're not going to dump him (unless the other guy they bring in beats him out). Achord is gone so maybe a coaching change will help.
Agreed Rylands honeymoon is over and there should be a kicking competition in camp. I just don’t want that competition brought in via the draft. Go the UDFA route.

A late round pick for a kicker is smart if you get the best kicker in the draft, if not it was a dumb pick... pretty much describes every position.

A late round pick for a kicker is smart if you get the best kicker in the draft, if not it was a dumb pick... pretty much describes every position.
Last year when we had 12 picks or so taking a kicker was fine. This year with 8 picks I see more pressing needs on offense and defense. Hopefully the Ryland we thought we were drafting shows up next year.

Right now we’re sitting at 8 picks. I’d like to see at least 6 allocated for offense (1 QB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 OL). That leaves 2 barring trades for defense in which we could still use Edge help, DT, LB and FS.

That's not what I saw, relative to other starting QB's in the league. His deep ball was actually very good - eg the one that Parker dropped late in a game last season, 50+ yards down field and right on the money in close coverage. On the run he made some decent throws but made too many atrocious decisions on where to throw those, sometimes backwards toward the center of the field for INT's. He also seemed to get worse and worse in collapsing pockets, could never see his way out or make a play stepping up - Zappe was way better at that. His arm was not the problem. With better protection, weapons, and OC situation, he would have been successful.
You weren't watching the games then Mac was at the bottom 1/3 of the league in deep ball accuracy last year among starting QB'.

You weren't watching the games then Mac was at the bottom 1/3 of the league in deep ball accuracy last year among starting QB'.
You'll see - his career's not over and he'll be a starter again some day. If he can improve his pocket movement and make better decisions when rolling out, the rest of his game is fine. And I watched every minute of his time here in NE.

You'll see - his career's not over and he'll be a starter again some day. If he can improve his pocket movement and make better decisions when rolling out, the rest of his game is fine. And I watched every minute of his time here in NE.
You can't be serious.
Give Me A Break Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Chad Wideleft is not a shoe in a UDFA or Seventh Rounder will challenge him he's on a very very short leash.
Dog Running GIF by Nickelodeon

If he can improve his pocket movement and make better decisions when rolling out, the rest of his game is fine.
He's had three years of NFL-level coaching, and before that, some of the best coaching available at the college level. If better pocket movement and better decision making is something that is available to him, he sure has stubbornly defied all efforts to access it.

I get it, there's an awful lot of "kick him while he's down" and "hindsight is 20/20" going on in this thread, but IMO his upside has been seen already and it is time for the Patriots to move on.

I do wish him luck in his future. He seems like a good person, and overall a very good athlete, just not a NFL franchise-level quarterback.

If he can play his way back to a starter job then good for him. But it was best for both parties that he moved on from here.

Dude, he probably has the weakest arm in the league, he can't throw with any velocity at all off platform. He has some, some zip on short to intermediate throws when he can step into his throw. His long ball is terrible, and floats, they are all rainbows. He does not have an NFL arm and teams adjusted to that.
Brock Purdy says hello. So does Zappe.

Dude, he probably has the weakest arm in the league, he can't throw with any velocity at all off platform. He has some, some zip on short to intermediate throws when he can step into his throw. His long ball is terrible, and floats, they are all rainbows. He does not have an NFL arm and teams adjusted to that.
Nah, he has a howitzer compared to Bailey Zappe.

Brock Purdy says hello. So does Zappe.
Brock Purdy def has a better arm than Mac, dude can make some off platform throws. Mac off platform is almost a guaranteed interception

He can't get any velocity on the ball unless his mechanics are perfect, he can't throw deep and can't throw an out consisy. He's a backup that's out of the league in 3 years

He can't get any velocity on the ball unless his mechanics are perfect, he can't throw deep and can't throw an out consisy. He's a backup that's out of the league in 3 years
If so it won't be because of his arm, his velocity is sufficient.

No I haven't. I have defended Belichick against people who say Belichick was a product of Brady for years. They call me an anti-Brady guy because I say that Belichick was more important to the early part of the dynasty than Brady. You call me an anti-Belichick guy because I criticize him for what he did the last two years of his tenure with the Patriots. I get labeled a Mac Jones rum swab for pointing out that Mac was put in a horrible position where few or no QB could succeed.

I can't win. Everybody sees things on this board as black or white. You criticize Belichick for how he handled the last two years and you are a hater. I find hyperpartisanship in politics really stupid. I find it even dumber in sports.
So you're anti-Brady AND anti-Belichick?

Why are you even on this forum?

So you're anti-Brady AND anti-Belichick?

Why are you even on this forum?

According many people on this board half the people on this board is either anti-Brady or anti-Belichick. So that means I fit in with everyone on this board.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back