PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones OROY discussion

Given that this specifically a rookie category, Jones' performance should be judged vs other rookie QBs, and in that context he will be in very rare historical company if he leads the Patriots to a winning record and the playoffs. Out of the 10 rookies in that category in the last 20 years only Sanchez and Orton lost the OROY title to a non-QB.
Yeah - I agree Mac is very likely to win this year. If you take away wins and losses and rank order the rookie seasons of Mac, Herbert, Kyler, Dak, RG3, and Throw in Baker Mayfield (who came in second in voting)… what order do you put them in? Mac’s gotta be 5th maybe 4th on that list. Just saying Mac’s been statistically good, but his emergence as OROY leader is more about Chase cooling his torrid year (which is tough because he relies on Joe Burrow to get him the ball).. 4th in yds, 2nd in TDs. Najee Harris is 8th in the league in total yds… I think both of them are having comparatively better seasons.

Yeah - I agree Mac is very likely to win this year. If you take away wins and losses and rank order the rookie seasons of Mac, Herbert, Kyler, Dak, RG3, and Throw in Baker Mayfield (who came in second in voting)… what order do you put them in? Mac’s gotta be 5th maybe 4th on that list. Just saying Mac’s been statistically good, but his emergence as OROY leader is more about Chase cooling his torrid year (which is tough because he relies on Joe Burrow to get him the ball).. 4th in yds, 2nd in TDs. Najee Harris is 8th in the league in total yds… I think both of them are having comparatively better seasons.
Micah Parsons deserves to be in the conversation

I like Mac as much as anyone, and am really happy with how his year is going, but he hasn’t put together an OROY caliber season in my opinion. He’s been mostly consistent and maybe a little above average, but the only reason we’re talking about him is because the Pats have won, others rookies are cooling, not because he’s taking off. Everyone pointing to Chase’s last few games needs to also acknowledge Mac’s past few games have been ok, but not great. I can’t fault him for Buffalo, but that game still counts.

I know wins and losses have come up, but I really don’t feel Mac has put the team on his back and won us any games, and maybe more to his credit, he hasn’t really lost us any either. He’s just sort of been a high floor rookie. Chase has had a few special games and been dominant.

i like Mac a lot- i hope the next couple of games he starts to take off, but I still have a few others ahead of him for this award
He threw for over 300 yards the game before last vs Tennessee on a day we could not run effectively
And lit up the Browns 2 games before that

Last edited:
I like Mac as much as anyone, and am really happy with how his year is going, but he hasn’t put together an OROY caliber season in my opinion. He’s been mostly consistent and maybe a little above average, but the only reason we’re talking about him is because the Pats have won, others rookies are cooling, not because he’s taking off. Everyone pointing to Chase’s last few games needs to also acknowledge Mac’s past few games have been ok, but not great. I can’t fault him for Buffalo, but that game still counts.

I know wins and losses have come up, but I really don’t feel Mac has put the team on his back and won us any games, and maybe more to his credit, he hasn’t really lost us any either. He’s just sort of been a high floor rookie. Chase has had a few special games and been dominant.

i like Mac a lot- i hope the next couple of games he starts to take off, but I still have a few others ahead of him for this award
OROY is only a two horse race at this point nobody else is really in contention. Mac is ahead of Chase right now IMO although after week 13 I think the race has started to tighten again. Was not the case a month ago, Chase was definitely the favorite but ever since his 201 yard game he has cooled off.

QB's will always get the benefit of the doubt in these kinds of awards. Pats have 2 big games against Indy and Buffalo. If he craters in those games then I think Chase can steal it back otherwise Mac will likely be winning this award.

It sounds like someone didn’t watch the 2020-2021 Cam Newton-quarterbacked Patriots.

Parsons may win Defensive Player of the Year...
A few years ago Darius Leonard had an unbelievable season but had Donald in front of him. Leonard deserved some love though. Myles Garrett is the clear cut DPOY imo. I actually think there's a small gap between him and #2 but Parsons is having an outstanding year. Absolutely unbelievable what he's doing from different positions as a rookie.

It sounds like someone didn’t watch the 2020-2021 Cam Newton-quarterbacked Patriots.
I don’t understand what you’re getting at - I don’t think Cam was an NFL caliber quarterback for a good portion of last year

He threw for over 300 yards the game before last vs Tennessee on a day we could not run effectively
And lit up the Browns 2 games before that
He had a good game against the Browns, everyone did…but he didn’t win you that game… 302 yds against the Titans feels like a lot, but if you watched that game- he was decent between the numbers but stalled out in the high red… I think that’s what an avg an can get you against that team. One ridiculous catch and run by Bourne away from us not even using this game as an example.

Again, not hating on Mac, I just think he’s been ok… not OROY great. Still happy to have him.

He had a good game against the Browns, everyone did…but he didn’t win you that game… 302 yds against the Titans feels like a lot, but if you watched that game- he was decent between the numbers but stalled out in the high red… I think that’s what an avg an can get you against that team. One ridiculous catch and run by Bourne away from us not even using this game as an example.

Again, not hating on Mac, I just think he’s been ok… not OROY great. Still happy to have him.
This is absurd. He is having a rookie season only exceeded by QBs who are likely to be in Canton and you are nitpicking about the high red zone. Teammates are amazed at the level of his play so soon and openly say so - people who have been in the league for years like Slater, McCourty, Van Noy etc.

Isn't being a QB and being a Full time game manager more difficult than being a WR where you just need to run routes and do blocking. There is tremendous amount of in game adjustment that a QB does which makes it super hard to win as a rookie QB. On contrary we always have CBs , edge rushers and wide receivers dazzling as rookies. Who was the last rookie QB who dazzled?

Mac has made ton of 3rd down conversions at crucial times. What about the comeback against Houston. Yes he might not have put the numbers but being able to successfully QB a team in rookie year is an amazing feat by itself .

Isn't being a QB and being a Full time game manager more difficult than being a WR where you just need to run routes and do blocking. There is tremendous amount of in game adjustment that a QB does which makes it super hard to win as a rookie QB. On contrary we always have CBs , edge rushers and wide receivers dazzling as rookies. Who was the last rookie QB who dazzled?

Mac has made ton of 3rd down conversions at crucial times. What about the comeback against Houston. Yes he might not have put the numbers but being able to successfully QB a team in rookie year is an amazing feat by itself .
Mac has had a great rookie year, but Chase having 1k yards and 10 TD as a rookie WR is nothing to sniff at. He's definitely in the running with Mac. Two horse race at this point.

Mac has had a great rookie year, but Chase having 1k yards and 10 TD as a rookie WR is nothing to sniff at. He's definitely in the running with Mac. Two horse race at this point.
You certainly can make a strong case for Chase. But for someone to characterize Mac’s rookie season as “OK” as the guy did above is “Here’s your sign” territory

Chase isn't really on pace for any rookie records that I know of while Mac is on pace to annihilate the current completion record (although despite my utter disdain for the guy, Big Ben's 2004 % is better in my model comparing different eras). Will be curious to see how this all plays out.

You certainly can make a strong case for Chase. But for someone to characterize Mac’s rookie season as “OK” as the guy did above is “Here’s your sign” territory
If you read all my posts, I actually say he’s been very good for a rookie. But statistically, he’s pretty average- which is an awesome starting point for a rookie. I think he’s exceeded just about everyone’s expectations- couldn’t be more thrilled to have him as a QB. This thread is about whether he should be OROY- I agree a bit with others who have said QB is a tougher position- so comparing him to the last 5 winners/serious contenders, he’s at the bottom of the QB list statistically. That’s not a knock at Mac… I just think when there’s two other rookies nearly leading the league in their relevant categories they probably deserve it more.

JMD's presser today re: Mac made me giddy

“But I will say this: Mac, although he didn’t throw the ball a lot, he had a lot to do with what we were doing. Obviously, you guys know the quarterback’s responsibility is numerous here, and so he was involved in trying to get us in a lot of good plays, which he did a good job of, and setting our blocking schemes and distributing people and all the rest of it. So, although not a challenging night throwing the ball for him, he had his hands full with some of the things we were asking of him at the line of scrimmage, and I thought he handled it really well.”

This stuff is what separates "quarterbacks" from "passers".

No way Barmore wins defensive rookie of the year, not with the season Micah Parsons is having, Parsons has that award all wrapped up.
Best defensive player in the draft and I think it was obvious after watching his film. That’s not a knock on other players.

No way Barmore wins defensive rookie of the year, not with the season Micah Parsons is having, Parsons has that award all wrapped up.
Parsons is a home run. 12 sacks and he had a 3 game stretch without a sack.

JMD's presser today re: Mac made me giddy

This stuff is what separates "quarterbacks" from "passers".

I‘m not in NE, but some EEI guy named Jones was humping for Allen over Mac. Said he would take McDermott over BB if it meant he could get Allen. Passers over QBs.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back