PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones OROY discussion

You could've just stopped at "Not Mac"

For damn sure? That's a little overboard. I'd probably still go with Lawrence but knowing what we know now and having full hindsight, it's definitely not a for damn sure thing
I am not sure Mac would be much over on the Jags this year. If Lawrence went to the pats, how would that be? I am not saying who will be what, but lets just say that all things were not even. But with that said I also believe you make the best of where you go.

Close thread this race is over
It comes down to 50 voters who have a predilection for QBs. Today didn't help, but Chase had bad games, too.

For all we know it could end up a tie.

It comes down to 50 voters who have a predilection for QBs. Today didn't help, but Chase had bad games, too.

For all we know it could end up a tie.
True but the problem for him is the perception that he is along for the ride and the Pats win with running and defense. It’s out there. I don’t think this game helped but neither did throwing 3 times and winning a game. That probably hurt Mac’s chances a lot more than I thought and now he’s getting exposed a bit against elevated competition.

Chase is an impact player and a game changer. That’s the difference I think.

True but the problem for him is the perception that he is along for the ride and the Pats win with running and defense. It’s out there. I don’t think this game helped but neither did throwing 3 times and winning a game. That probably hurt Mac’s chances a lot more than I thought and now he’s getting exposed a bit against elevated competition.
It's out there bc it's true. I mean there's like 3-4 teams that run it more than we do. We've clearly had a plan bringing him along slowly. He's having a great rookie season but certainly isn't carrying us. Both can and are true. And I don't see that as a problem. It's ok to admit we're holding Mac's hand a little bit. Even vets get their hand held.
Chase is an impact player and a game changer. That’s the difference I think.
Chase will likely have 1200 yards/10 TD and average 15-17 + per clip. Him and Jefferson have been unbelievable from LSU. Waddle deserves some love as well though. He was on pace for 100/1000/5 TD. Not bad for a rookie WR in Miami.
There was only one other contending rookie and his production has come back down to earth after an unworldly start. Comparing Macs season with Justin Herbert's last year, on a 7-9 team competing for absolutely nothing isn't doing a service to what it means to play on a playoff contending team.
Herbert didn't get to start the year bc his coaching staff thought Tyrod Taylor was a better option lol. Lynn was a fan Taylor on & off the field and thought he got a raw deal at previous stops in his career. He worked with Taylor in Buffalo and again really liked him as a person and player. Completely biased. In fact right after Herbert's first game against KC where he passed for 302 and 2TD. Lynn immediately said Taylor was the starter if healthy.

Herbert didn't get a clean start, was on a team with a bad HC, bad OL and still put up better #'s than Mac. They asked more of Herbert in terms of passing the ball (more attempts, basically same comp % right now, while Herbert produced more passing TD, seven 300 yard games ) Another thing I just talked about in my thread is that Mac has taken some really bad sacks this year. One of the worst in the league in terms of "lost yards" and you see it compared to Herbert's #'s. Herbert had a much worse OL but the extra yards are on the QB not the OL.
Screenshot_2021-12-26-19-41-04~2.png

This isn't a shot a Mac. He's having a really good rookie year and looks the part. We need a lot more from him though if we're trying to be SB contenders year in, year out. Very good start from him though.

They took a poll of NFL execs who voted Mac offensive rookie of the year heading into this past weekend FWIW...

Who the **** in their right mind would vote for a small, noodle-armed, low-ceiling, former pre-teen model and one-year college wonder as an NFL ORoY?

Who the **** in their right mind would vote for a small, noodle-armed, low-ceiling, former pre-teen model and one-year college wonder as an NFL ORoY?
Mac has a lot of work to do this off-season. Good QBs with a future in this league will take a big second year leap and if he’s really all that and our answer at QB then that’s what we’ll see.

This didn’t age well lol

It aged just fine. He’s still going to be the huge favorite for the award. One loss isn’t a “major collapse.” Now, a loss to Jacksonville and/or missing the postseason would certainly be a major collapse, but his lead was padded enough to have a bad gsme like this and still win. If a rookie QB goes 11-6, the other rookie QBs suck, and no WR/RB is having an all-time great season, then he’ll win it. Chase is having a very good year, but not enough to overcome a winning QB.

It aged just fine. He’s still going to be the huge favorite for the award. One loss isn’t a “major collapse.” Now, a loss to Jacksonville and/or missing the postseason would certainly be a major collapse, but his lead was padded enough to have a bad gsme like this and still win. If a rookie QB goes 11-6, the other rookie QBs suck, and no WR/RB is having an all-time great season, then he’ll win it. Chase is having a very good year, but not enough to overcome a winning QB.

Stop it.

I’m not saying Mac is great, or better than Chase. I’m saying he’ll likely win Offensive Rookie of the Year. Do you disagree? I think your beef is with the award, the voters, etc. This was from last week…while I expect today’s game to have some negative impact for Mac, he’s still very likely the clear favorite.

I’m not saying Mac is great, or better than Chase. I’m saying he’ll likely win Offensive Rookie of the Year. Do you disagree? I think your beef is with the award, the voters, etc. This was from last week…while I expect today’s game to have some negative impact for Mac, he’s still very likely the clear favorite.

Yes I do disagree… Mac’s not winning the ORoY, nor does he deserve to win it.

The thing I see is we've had two back to back teams say they're going to force Mac to beat them and their plan has worked. There’s a lot more film on him now and teams are going to continue to dare him to beat them with his arm. Idk about the Jags, but you know Flores is going to pressure the hell out of him. Let's see how he responds.

He's been the best rookie QB by far. Go watch other rookie QBs and tell me how they have looked.

Nah it’s over. Chase was dominant yesterday and the perception seems to be locked in that Mac is not a difference maker. Chase is. Helped his team blow out the Ravens.

Bengals play the Chiefs at home next week. They win and if Chase does well then that’s when it’s over.

Bengals play the Chiefs at home next week. They win and if Chase does well then that’s when it’s over.
Nah it’s already over. Its not game by game at this point it’s about perception. Chase is a difference maker. Mac hopefully will be one someday but he isn’t today.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back