PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones last two weeks

I’ve said this a bunch and Mac even said it. His eyes go where the play takes him. And again, if he really was missing guys over and over, blowing reads, etc, Belichick would sit him. And his teammates would turn on him because they also hate getting embarrassed.

Again, Belichick is not going to let this kid take him down. He absolutely would have done what Saleh did. You’re under this impression Jones is inept and Belichick has just kept dealing with it over and over while letting him call out Matty P in public. I absolutely have no doubt he’d have yanked him.

He’s not going to blow a season just over Jones’ draft status and the players absolutely would get sick of not getting the football. Many have incentives and there’s no way they’re taking a hit from a guy who keeps missing them.

I get you’re annoyed, but you’re not thinking it through. There’s a reason the players are directing their frustration elsewhere. They like Mac, I’m sure. But not enough to deal with that if that’s what’s really going on.

Not a chance.
They did do something, they reigned Mac way in. They aren't letting him air the ball out for stupid interceptions.

Lets hope Mac is better on Saturday, but I do not see any indication that will happen. The histrionics on the field go to show his head is not in the game. He was limping in the locker room, so is he hurt? Is that why his accuracy was so bad Sunday? I am lost. The coaching might stink, and the play calling might be predictable, but those two items do not stop Mac from throwing an accurate pass. I have to guess it is in his head. Watching Trevor Lawrence, he does not look great, and his coaching stinks, but his head is still in the game so there is reason to believe he will keep improving. Lawrence is not having fits on the field.

Imagine someone reacting "I Don't Agree" to a post that is exclusively providing information about something a player did. There's no opinion or analysis being expressed here; just provided a link with information about something Bourne liked on Twitter.

Does one not agree that Bourne actually liked that Tweet and think it's fabricated? I mean, I guess that's a possibility, but I sure don't think it's likely.

That's surprising. First Brown likes a tweet about bringing in a veteran QB. Now, Bourne likes a tweet about Mac not doing a good enough job at stopping Chandler? WTF is going on in Foxboro?

We also have Wilfork, Jules and Law criticizing Mac's histrionics and the non-tackle? Wow, what are we the Jets?

That's surprising. First Brown likes a tweet about bringing in a veteran QB. Now, Bourne likes a tweet about Mac not doing a good enough job at stopping Chandler? WTF is going on in Foxboro?

We also have Wilfork, Jules and Law criticizing Mac's histrionics and the non-tackle? Wow, what are we the Jets?
The relevant part is that Bourne liked the tweet in which Jordan Moore said Mac's effort was poor.
Imagine someone reacting "I Don't Agree" to a post that is exclusively providing information about something a player did. There's no opinion or analysis being expressed here; just provided a link with information about something Bourne liked on Twitter.

Does one not agree that Bourne actually liked that Tweet and think it's fabricated? I mean, I guess that's a possibility, but I sure don't think it's likely.
Thank you. I hate when people downplay this type of stuff

Last year Slater alluded to a splinter in the locker room. People said it was nothing but look at hey they finished last year - 1-4, with a terrible blowout in the playoffs

Thank you. I hate when people downplay this type of stuff

Last year Slater alluded to a splinter in the locker room. People said it was nothing but look at hey they finished last year - 1-4, with a terrible blowout in the playoffs

I also don't think it's all that big of a deal, either. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I doubt there's a chasm in the locker-room or significant problems going on internally. But I also think it's probably fair to conclude that Bourne and Brown aren't Mac's biggest fans at the moment.

I think BB is so far inside Mac's head about turnovers being unacceptable that Mac is playing timid, scared and frightened to take any risk on whatsoever. Of course you can not play like that in the NFL and expect to succeed. He is playing like he does not belong in the NFL, but I believe he is better than that. He should be middle of the pack. Mac should just play without being frightened to turn it over and he will be much better off.

I think BB is so far inside Mac's head about turnovers being unacceptable that Mac is playing timid, scared and frightened to take any risk on whatsoever. Of course you can not play like that in the NFL and expect to succeed. He is playing like he does not belong in the NFL, but I believe he is better than that. He should be middle of the pack. Mac should just play without being frightened to turn it over and he will be much better off.

Mac played loose and carefree early in the season and turned the ball over a lot. After his injury and the Zappe stint, he was surely aware that if he continued to turn the ball over at the same clip, he wouldn't be the starter for long.

How much of the change is due to the coaching staff reigning him in and how much is due to Mac himself exercising caution to avoid turnovers? Tough to know. My point, though, is that I'm not entirely convinced that letting Mac rip it without hesitation would be lead to better outcomes.

I’ve said this a bunch and Mac even said it. His eyes go where the play takes him.
This is actually kind of scary to think of. You'll open up to certain sides for certain concepts. Read right to left for example. I didnt see that full quote so i dont want to be dramatic. Im sure hes not just winging it out there but this definitely made me do a second take. Doesn't sound like the most efficient way to operate but again I didn't see the full quote.
And again, if he really was missing guys over and over, blowing reads, etc, Belichick would sit him. And his teammates would turn on him because they also hate getting embarrassed.

Again, Belichick is not going to let this kid take him down. He absolutely would have done what Saleh did. You’re under this impression Jones is inept and Belichick has just kept dealing with it over and over while letting him call out Matty P in public. I absolutely have no doubt he’d have yanked him.

He’s not going to blow a season just over Jones’ draft status and the players absolutely would get sick of not getting the football. Many have incentives and there’s no way they’re taking a hit from a guy who keeps missing them.

I get you’re annoyed, but you’re not thinking it through. There’s a reason the players are directing their frustration elsewhere. They like Mac, I’m sure. But not enough to deal with that if that’s what’s really going on.

Not a chance.
In fairness Bill also thought Hoyer > Zappe after watching Hoyer fade away for years.

Bill can still pitch but definitely lost some heat on his fastball. This is an organizational failure which directly leads back to him. Not calling for his job yet but this was an absolute disaster that he cooked up.

Last edited:
My point, though, is that I'm not entirely convinced that letting Mac rip it without hesitation would be lead to better outcomes.

You mean it could get worse than last Sunday? We are not at rock bottom with Mac?

On Sunday, 22 of 23 plays under center were running plays and 80% of the shotgun plays were passes. I am starting to think Matt Patricia wants Jones to fail or he is the worst OC ever.

On Sunday, 22 of 23 plays under center were running plays and 80% of the shotgun plays were passes. I am starting to think Matt Patricia wants Jones to fail or he is the worst OC ever.
Worst OC ever, what a waste of a year man. Look forward to football season for several months just to end up with a monumental crap show thanks to Bill and decision to hire this dude to run the offense.

Worst OC ever, what a waste of a year man. Look forward to football season for several months just to end up with a monumental crap show thanks to Bill and decision to hire this dude to run the offense.

Yeah, the Pats aren’t paying Patricia a dime and they are vastly overpaying him. And the Lions are paying him millions not to coach there and they are vastly underpaying him.

And I still think there is a chance the Patricia disaster may be the end of Belichick here. Kraft was never on board with Patricia as OC and he has to be worse than even Kraft could ever imagine.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back