PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones Injury Video [UPDATE - X-Rays were negative]

I'm shocked at how they're handling this - like Mac has a chance to play in the next 3-4 weeks? I mean, what's the benefit in teasing GB that it might be Mac? It's not like we're talking Brady or Hoyer. There's no competitive advantage. Yet it seems BB is speaking like Mac will be fine and be out there any day. I've never seen BB be overly optimistic on injury situations like this before. Usually he'd downplay everything and looks for any chance at a Foxboro Flu, but saying "he improved a lot the last 48 hours" is literally earth shattering for BB. Maybe he is losing it!?

I'm shocked at how they're handling this - like Mac has a chance to play in the next 3-4 weeks? I mean, what's the benefit in teasing GB that it might be Mac? It's not like we're talking Brady or Hoyer. There's no competitive advantage. Yet it seems BB is speaking like Mac will be fine and be out there any day. I've never seen BB be overly optimistic on injury situations like this before. Usually he'd downplay everything and looks for any chance at a Foxboro Flu, but saying "he improved a lot the last 48 hours" is literally earth shattering for BB. Maybe he is losing it!?
I know he doesn't use MyFace but it's an expert troll job.

When Bill reads all of the posts here criticizing his behavior today, I’m sure that he see the error of his ways and will deeply regret what he said.

The best part is is why would anybody be so angry towards par mcafee of all people hahaha

It's just that, as a native Bostonian, I sometimes have the feeling that when an outsider says something derogatory about the "Boston sports media" it's sometimes code for "Boston sports fans" as well... Besides, McAfee's always been a clown, in and out of the big-media-top circus; and I'm too old to have to read, hear or see Anything from Any of them... Yet they keep popping-up on my twit sidebar too...

Last edited:
Thanks for the post, Ill break it down as Im reading it
For the second video, it makes me click on the link to go to Youtube rather than watching it embedded on this site. I think some issue with official NFL content. But maybe it's restricted in your country.

You're of course entitled to like/dislike a play concept, but there are some valid rebuttals to the points you raised.

First, to lay out how RPO's generally work, the OL/TE's all block the run play. They execute the full play assuming it's a run play, and the QB has the option to pull the ball and throw it. OL doesn't pass set- they do whatever they would do on the called run play (say inside zone, for a common RPO call). It's strictly less simplistic than any run play. Rather than only having the option to hand off, you have the option to hand off that same run play OR to pull and throw. So if you oppose it due to simplicity, you oppose almost all run plays. So when you bring up the micro/macro issue and say you'd rather have the whole team focus on ALL routes/blocking or whatever, they're still doing that. The OL are all still running a full run play. RPO's are, by definition, less limiting than a typical run play.
Based on what you are saying, 10 players are running a Run play, except for Hot Read, which dictates if it's a run or a pass. I get that

So it falls into what I said about opportunity cost: I do rather have a play where all 11 people know what they have to do from the get-go. But I understand that is personal

And I like simplicity, sometimes we all make things harder with a simple twist, i like that too. I do not like how simplistic the "pass trigger" is (using your Glance as the example, for once).

All NFL teams that do RPO (and I can't follow them as closely as the Pats) have an "ace" for that work very well: The Pats that I see does not
There can also be multiple route options. You can have the glance on the left side and a slant/bubble combo on the right side. That's fairly common as well. So not limited to just one route the QB can throw.

The read of the LB/SS in terms of whether to hand off or pull and throw isn't the only read being made in the play, too, of course. OL and RB still make their reads (read the fronts, read the blocks) like any normal run play.
I cannot see how a QB has the time to look at 2 directions in the field well enough to work between the snap & the decision. Could be wrong, Im not a QB.
The QB's decision flow of whether to hand it off or throw the glance route isn't less restricted than plenty of passing concepts. You put one defender in conflict and choose the more open between the two offensive players stressing that defender. This is similar to reading a defender on a high low concept in the passing game, which I'm sure you wouldn't oppose. But in this case instead of choosing between, say, the dig and the drag, you choose between the Izone handoff and the glance route.
Yeah, I get all that and I can see it why it's deployed. My instinct is tells me that having 11 players blocking for a "straight up pass" its better than 10/9 guys blocking a run, 1 or 2 WR running their routes. I think specialization generates better results than generalists (Does this make sense? Basically Im saying that prefer the 11 guys 100% sure what they are doing all times)
Yes, defenses will know it's coming, but it's really hard to stop. It does put the defender in conflict. Same way defenses know that offenses run play actions, yet linebackers still bite and fill run gaps, leaving their zones open. You have often have to commit to trying to stop one action, which exposes the other action. If you just kind of play in between or try to bait one of them, you may leave both open (or the QB may read you well). They're also designed to make it hard to do that. The field is stretched out so you can't be in two places at once.
Nothing to add here
It works well in the NFL. Plenty of teams run it. Teams with great QBs (the Bills with Allen, the Chiefs with Mahomes), teams with solid QBs (the 2017 Eagles with Wentz), and teams with limited QBs (the 2021 Dolphins with Tua).
Im not going down a list for NFL teams bc Im not on par with how each team plays, but all these teams have weapons I dont the Pats' having

I guess I'm not an RPO guy, but I do appreciate this post, there were things that I hadn't thought about it

Especially when hoyers last 11 games resulted in 11 loses

You are refering to games he started back in 2016 and 2017 with the 49ers and bears. Come on...
The last game he started for the pats in 2020 was a mess, thats true. Bad decision making, got benched midway through the game. He wasn't prepared to start.
Give him a chance this time. He won't play like a superstar, but Mac hasn't played like one either.

You are refering to games he started back in 2016 and 2017 with the 49ers and bears. Come on...
The last game he started for the pats in 2020 was a mess, thats true. Bad decision making, got benched midway through the game. He wasn't prepared to start.
Give him a chance this time. He won't play like a superstar, but Mac hasn't played like one either.
He's also almost 37 years old and is not some kind of generational talent like a Brady that's going to play into his 40's. Do you think he'll be better or worse than he was a 34?

What do I know, other than its completely different circumstances? Let's find out the next couple weeks.

Maybe he is losing it!?
Maybe?
I will never diminish his coaching ability but the man is wearing blinders when it comes to who he has surrounded himself with....aka...Friends & Family
Last season, BB took charge over the defense midseason from his sons (+ Mayo) and that grouping excelled...until BB handed the reigns back down the stretch. Google "no punts" for verification.
This season BB loaded up his offensive coaching staff with F & F with his hand selected buddies and after their anemic offensive output in Weeks 1 & 2, BB put all his energy into the offense on game day vs Baltimore. The result, a competent offense (ignoring Mac's turnovers) but a defense that let Jackson dominate them.
In every case, his handpicked F & F coaching staff wilts when BB isn't covering for them.
Worse yet, this group of F & F are BB's first choice to take the helm when he heads off to retirement.

Thanks for the post, Ill break it down as Im reading it

Based on what you are saying, 10 players are running a Run play, except for Hot Read, which dictates if it's a run or a pass. I get that

So it falls into what I said about opportunity cost: I do rather have a play where all 11 people know what they have to do from the get-go. But I understand that is personal

And I like simplicity, sometimes we all make things harder with a simple twist, i like that too. I do not like how simplistic the "pass trigger" is (using your Glance as the example, for once).

All NFL teams that do RPO (and I can't follow them as closely as the Pats) have an "ace" for that work very well: The Pats that I see does not

I cannot see how a QB has the time to look at 2 directions in the field well enough to work between the snap & the decision. Could be wrong, Im not a QB.

Yeah, I get all that and I can see it why it's deployed. My instinct is tells me that having 11 players blocking for a "straight up pass" its better than 10/9 guys blocking a run, 1 or 2 WR running their routes. I think specialization generates better results than generalists (Does this make sense? Basically Im saying that prefer the 11 guys 100% sure what they are doing all times)

Nothing to add here

Im not going down a list for NFL teams bc Im not on par with how each team plays, but all these teams have weapons I dont the Pats' having

I guess I'm not an RPO guy, but I do appreciate this post, there were things that I hadn't thought about it
Thanks- I’d say all 11 people still do know what they have to do from the get go, which includes the qb deciding run or pass. The only opportunity cost is you’re no longer having the receivers that are running routes blocking in the run game. But they still occupy defenders with their routes.

I don’t think all NFL teams that run RPO have an “ace.” What I’ve tried to highlight is that RPO’s make even more sense for a team WITHOUT one. If you have a couple stud WRs, they can just win straight up. If you have some good ones but no studs, it might help to get them open by pulling a defender into the run game and hitting the pass behind them. That’s scheming open. And the 2017 eagles and dolphins before this year weren’t really teams built on aces.

Re the qb looking in 2 directions, that’s a pre snap read. This has to happen ALL the time in football. Determine which side has a better look and that’s the side you work. This isn’t adding new complexity because of RPO.

In terms of the specialization vs generalist point, my take would be that it goes back to be fist point- everyone does know exactly what they’re doing. They know what their job is. Frame it as “11 players are all executing the RPO.” It’s not like on a typical pass play all 11 guys do the same thing. Some run (different) routes, some block, one reads the defense and throws. Just as each guy has a certain defined job there, the same is true in an RPO.

Solid discussion though

Thanks- I’d say all 11 people still do know what they have to do from the get go, which includes the qb deciding run or pass. The only opportunity cost is you’re no longer having the receivers that are running routes blocking in the run game. But they still occupy defenders with their routes.

I don’t think all NFL teams that run RPO have an “ace.” What I’ve tried to highlight is that RPO’s make even more sense for a team WITHOUT one. If you have a couple stud WRs, they can just win straight up. If you have some good ones but no studs, it might help to get them open by pulling a defender into the run game and hitting the pass behind them. That’s scheming open. And the 2017 eagles and dolphins before this year weren’t really teams built on aces.

Re the qb looking in 2 directions, that’s a pre snap read. This has to happen ALL the time in football. Determine which side has a better look and that’s the side you work. This isn’t adding new complexity because of RPO.

In terms of the specialization vs generalist point, my take would be that it goes back to be fist point- everyone does know exactly what they’re doing. They know what their job is. Frame it as “11 players are all executing the RPO.” It’s not like on a typical pass play all 11 guys do the same thing. Some run (different) routes, some block, one reads the defense and throws. Just as each guy has a certain defined job there, the same is true in an RPO.

Solid discussion though
I appreciate the convo Git for, I do have to look more over RPOs in the NFL in general to come up to the same conclusions you have (maybe one day I'll have this much free time...oh how good is to dream right? lol). Maybe I do have bad bias to it bc of how it's implemented here, Idk

Im not doing a breakdown bc ive seen some things that were misunderstood, but is hard to convey what Im thinking exactly in english, even today. Like your opportunity cost part allegory is correct, of course, but i think it would take too much time to explain that wasn't what I was referring to (but you kinda got it, based on your 4th paragraph), bc you make solid arguments all around (except the your third pharagraph, that was kinda of a given right, i wasnt talking about pre-snap read, i dont know if there is a proper term for it tho?"handoff reading"?). Maybe when I get a beer one day.

Good chat!

Belichick is currently having the most embarrassing press conference hes ever held.
Yeah, it's pretty much up there with some of the others over the years... I'm starting to wonder.. the more we keep loosing.. does the mystique of all BB greatness start to wane? Are these players going to continue to buy in?... boy I sure do truly appreciate the decades of dominance... I can remember making sure all my Sundays were open, and plans made post patriots games.. I support my team win or loosing.. however this season just feels lost.. like no direction.. my hunch is RKK isn't happy... after all he is the owner and wants his franchise to remain competitive.. just wanted to express those thoughts in my reply..

Yeah, it's pretty much up there with some of the others over the years... I'm starting to wonder.. the more we keep loosing.. does the mystique of all BB greatness start to wane? Are these players going to continue to buy in?... boy I sure do truly appreciate the decades of dominance... I can remember making sure all my Sundays were open, and plans made post patriots games.. I support my team win or loosing.. however this season just feels lost.. like no direction.. my hunch is RKK isn't happy... after all he is the owner and wants his franchise to remain competitive.. just wanted to express those thoughts in my reply..

Totally. Loosing the confidence of his players would be baad.

Belichick has done this forever with all of his players. He isn't going to change how he deals with talking about injuries to the media.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back