PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Jones blowing away Patriots coaches and teammates

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we see Jones this year outside mop-up duty in garbage time/meaningless games then odds are something went catastrophically bad and we are drafting in the top 10 next year.

I can get that people don't believe that Newton will be able to stick with his allegedly improved fundamentals through the entire year and will revert at some point. That is a very valid concern. But if that already happens in W5 -- and is not because of an injury -- then you gotta ask real questions how he made it out of camp as a starter.

Quite honestly anyone who actually doesn't want Mac to redshirt as much as possible (ideally the whole year) to step in next year with a full understanding of the offense is setting him up for failure. Even the GOAT got a full year studying the offense and he is the absolute gold standard when it comes to absorbing, retaining and then using information.
Why are you posting such nonsense? First, Brady was a 6th round pick, and was behind Drew Bledsoe, not 2020 Cam Newton. Second, as we saw with Brady (since you referenced him), it's possible that the backup comes in and is an improvement over the original starter. Etc...

Why are you posting such nonsense? First, Brady was a 6th round pick, and was behind Drew Bledsoe, not 2020 Cam Newton. Second, as we saw with Brady (since you referenced him), it's possible that the backup comes in and is an improvement over the original starter. Etc...
The two scenarios could not be any more different. Brady was a 6th round flier taken behind an entrenched starter who signed a big money deal. Mac is a first round pick taken behind a broken down stop gap coming off one of the worst QB seasons in a long time. I know everyone wants to bill Mac Jones as some underdog battling his way up the depth chart but he was drafted at 15. His situation and Brady's have absolutely no correlation.

i am not surprised that Pats fan can’t stop talking about Brady if even the players can’t.

Report: Patriots Spent All Of Last Season Talking About Tom Brady

That report probably came from the same voices in Ben Volin's head that claimed the Pats locker room celebrated the Eagles win over the Texans a couple years ago (giving us a bye) and Pats players saying "Nick Foles did it again!". As if anyone on this team would really say that.

Now I'm sure Brady was on the mind of a few players but I doubt it was the way Trollin described it.

The two scenarios could not be any more different. Brady was a 6th round flier taken behind an entrenched starter who signed a big money deal. Mac is a first round pick taken behind a broken down stop gap coming off one of the worst QB seasons in a long time. I know everyone wants to bill Mac Jones as some underdog battling his way up the depth chart but he was drafted at 15. His situation and Brady's have absolutely no correlation.
And that's one of the reasons Luuked's post was so ridiculous.

Yeah if Brady didn't work out in 01 then nobody would have given it a second thought. Mac Jones failing to win the starters job at some point soon over a guy who can't throw would be a catastrophic failure and imo would probably lead to BB's exit.

I wish someone made this point over and over for the last few months lol.

Situations could not be more different. Idk, Idk ..

According to the same player -- an ex QB who interestingly enough didnt have the arm strength for the pros -- who gave Jones praise on his arm.

Also I have no clue what it is you want to tell anyone with that picture of Cam.

Personally, my pipe dream is, Cam starts 8 games and gets us to 5-3. Gets injured (nothing serious) and jones steps in and runs the table. In the process, a new star is born. One can dream right?

Personally, my pipe dream is, Cam starts 8 games and gets us to 5-3. Gets injured (nothing serious) and jones steps in and runs the table. In the process, a new star is born. One can dream right?
To me, if Cam wins (or "wins") the starting job, any time after week 4 should be in play, as far as a switch goes. But, if Cam wins/"wins" the starting job, I don't want Jones to somehow end up under center against the Bucs.

The next good source of Volin’s inside of the Pats organization will be his first.

The phrase “That guy sucks” was made for the Trollin’ one. Actually, that makes it likely that he posts here, because that phrase also fits several “Pats fans” on this site.

I have no clue what it is you want to tell anyone with that picture of Cam.
Something about OTAs having a team-building costume ball event.

It's not nonsense. Go look at the HOF QB thread ice has up almost all of them sat a year. That no pressure year to get NFL ready is huge for a QB it used to be the standard for almost every rookie. Besides Payton, who was awful his rookie year, and Big Ben, who was a game manager at best, if you want to maximize value of a QB you need to give them time to learn the offense and get in NFL shape. I agree that sitting Jones for a year is more valuable for the long term health of the franchise and would rather have another middling year with Cam then risk Mac being thrown into the fire too soon and getting shell shocked. Now I trust BB to make the judgement call of when Mac is ready so if he does switch it up midseason I wont be too upset but I am mentally prepared to see Cam for 17+ games this season.

Well obviously this would ordinarily be Earth-shattering, national shocking news.

...but it's the Patriots, so most people are like, blah, so what, they deserved it, they cheated, good riddance.

So are we going to field a team this fall, or what?

They'll probably go easy on the kid because they're glad he did what he did.

It's not nonsense. Go look at the HOF QB thread ice has up almost all of them sat a year. That no pressure year to get NFL ready is huge for a QB it used to be the standard for almost every rookie. Besides Payton, who was awful his rookie year, and Big Ben, who was a game manager at best, if you want to maximize value of a QB you need to give them time to learn the offense and get in NFL shape. I agree that sitting Jones for a year is more valuable for the long term health of the franchise and would rather have another middling year with Cam then risk Mac being thrown into the fire too soon and getting shell shocked. Now I trust BB to make the judgement call of when Mac is ready so if he does switch it up midseason I wont be too upset but I am mentally prepared to see Cam for 17+ games this season.
Yes, it's nonsense. And that's being kind to it.

Just listing HOF QBs off the top of my head, and remembering that the list below isn't even dealing with the likes of Warner/Staubach/Moon/Young, it's easy to find rookie starters who are huge among the HOFers:

Montana
Elway
Marino
Peyton

Yes, it's nonsense. And that's being kind to it.
Cuz you said so right? Got anything to back up that opinion like idk 95% of HOF Qbs sat a year or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes