PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Ahead of Where Manning Was His Rookie Year

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
I just dug these numbers out:

Again, not saying he's Manning by any means, this is obviously just a reminder to those who seem to be dismissing him that even the great ones took time to come into their own. I didn't do the Brady comparison because as we know, that's been discussed enough. But seeing these totals, while we don't know what type of player he'll eventually be, Jones is obviously off to a pretty good start.

I just dug these numbers out:

Again, not saying he's Manning by any means, this is obviously just a reminder to those who seem to be dismissing him that even the great ones took time to come into their own. I didn't do the Brady comparison because as we know, that's been discussed enough. But seeing these totals, while we don't know what type of player he'll eventually be, Jones is obviously off to a pretty good start.

you know Ian,

id appreciate it if you compare Macs numbers to rookies who actually played in the same nfl that Mac did.

manning played in an nfl in 98 where rules did not favor the offense like they do today. Rookie year manning would throw for 40 TDS under today’s rules

you know Ian,

id appreciate it if you compare Macs numbers to rookies who actually played in the same nfl that Mac did.

manning played in an nfl in 98 where rules did not favor the offense like they do today. Rookie year manning would throw for 40 TDS under today’s rules
You say that, but the 12 INTs are what surprised me, which I would say is a category that is comparable. Turnovers are mental mistakes regardless of the era and so far, Mac has made fewer of them.

You say that, but the 12 INTs are what surprised me, which I would say is a category that is comparable.
Oh I remember vividly. Manning threw 4 picks one game. He was a maniac out there. Reckless. But for every bad throw, he also threw one great one that no other QB could make. I think he ended up with 26 touchdown passes rookie year which was near the league lead

you know Ian,

Instead of criticizing the site owner for offering comparisons that trigger you, how bout offering what you believe is a better comparison.
Much "appreciated"

Oh I remember vividly. Manning threw 4 picks one game. He was a maniac out there. Reckless. But for every bad throw, he also threw one great one that no other QB could make. I think he ended up with 26 touchdown passes rookie year which was near the league lead
He finished his rookie season with 26 TDs and 28 INTs. That's why, as I said - and I don't want to make more out of this than it is - Jones obviously isn't Manning, but taking a 5 game sample size and then making a judgment or assumption about who he is or will be as a player is a little silly.

This is apples to oranges. It is better to compare Mac to the great rookie QBs of the last 5 years as a balanced viewpoint - Murray, Allen, Mahomes, Mayfield, Herbert, Lamar.
Exactly

He finished his rookie season with 26 TDs and 28 INTs. That's why, as I said - and I don't want to make more out of this than it is - Jones obviously isn't Manning, but taking a 5 game sample size and then making a judgment or assumption about who he is or will be as a player is a little silly.

oh i agree. I haven’t seen once person on this forum who criticizes Mac. Me included. I have said Mac doesn’t throw deep, but I blame his WRs and offensive coordinator for that

This is apples to oranges. It is better to compare Mac to the great rookie QBs of the last 5 years as a balanced viewpoint - Murray, Allen, Mahomes, Mayfield, Herbert, Lamar.
The INTs were the stat that really stood out. 12 INTs through 5 games was a little nuts. I was surprised by that.

We don't need to go there. But I've obviously been at this for 20+ years, so very little bothers me.
I learnéd not to take anything personally from strangers. People come and go in your life but the only thing that matters is your family. With that said, treat all people and your friends with kindness and respect

The INTs were the stat that really stood out. 12 INTs through 5 games was a little nuts. I was surprised by that.
He was the ultimate gun slinger rookie year. in Year 2, he went 13-3.

Reactions: Ian
you know Ian,

@Ian's point was to compare Mac to a "great" QB, I'm not sure which "great" QB drafted in the last decade that started week 1 (or around week 1) as a rookie you'd want to use as a comparison. Looking them over, the best I can really find are Andrew Luck in 2012 and Deshaun Watson in 2017. Besides them, the best you can do is compare him to other QBs who were drafted in recent years and could be great but the jury's still out (Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert). And then, obviously, you have the easy comparisons of Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson this year.

Herbert last year. I will say Herbert's OL last year was 2X as good as what Jones has had for protection this year.

View attachment 36543
Just goes to show that even when everything goes right for your rookie QB you can still lose 9 games (including 45-0 at home to Cam Newton).

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back