PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Ahead of Where Manning Was His Rookie Year

Manning had a very limited play book his rookie year. They didn't try too much from what I can remember. Apples and Oranges since Skippy has opened up this offense for Mac.. Oh Wait??!!

not sure it means anything, but the oddsmakers have Mac Jones and Jamar Chase neck-to-neck in offensive ROY odds

All Mac needs are some shifty players. He needs a player like AB, Jules, or a Welker.

All Mac needs are some shifty players. He needs a player like AB, Jules, or a Welker.
I was saying this ALL off-season. We have no dynamic play makers. Listen to this from Colin. I could not agree more. Pats begin at 5:00 mark.

I believe Mac will likely go down the road we saw with Brady and hopefully get stronger as his career goes on. Herbert has a rocket for an arm while as a rookie, Mac's obviously not where he'll eventually be from that standpoint. I had media access back in 2000 and I remember seeing Brady and how skinny he was. Obviously, a year later and even a couple of years after that, things changed and his arm got better.

The fact Mac is smart and accurate with the football is clearly one of his most positive attributes. While he'll likely not reach Herbert's level arm-wise, if his own arm strength improves, that will only make him even better.
Herbert is the type of QB who can succeed in almost any system with his physical tools and decision making. I definitely don't think that is the case with Mac but with that being said Mac is in the perfect system which highlights what he does best (accuracy and he's smart like you mentioned). If Mac is given the time to grow and develop I would be surprised if he isn't at least a top 10 starter in the league for a while but I honestly think Herbert is already in the elite territory and looks to have a significantly better coach than he did his rookie year. For the Chargers I think they will need to continue to draft well and try and get to a super bowl before Herbert is die to get paid because he likely will become the highest paid player in history when time comes.

Mark Sanchez
Record: 3-2
75-of-134 (56%) 916yds 5 TDs, 5 INTs

OK ... I feel like you must have seen this somewhere and that's why you mentioned it? :D
Nope. I was pretty high on his performance as a rookie, much to my chagrin. I remember him winning plenty and looking like a future rival.

Herbert is the type of QB who can succeed in almost any system with his physical tools and decision making. I definitely don't think that is the case with Mac but with that being said Mac is in the perfect system which highlights what he does best (accuracy and he's smart like you mentioned). If Mac is given the time to grow and develop I would be surprised if he isn't at least a top 10 starter in the league for a while but I honestly think Herbert is already in the elite territory and looks to have a significantly better coach than he did his rookie year. For the Chargers I think they will need to continue to draft well and try and get to a super bowl before Herbert is die to get paid because he likely will become the highest paid player in history when time comes.
I agree with you. I like him a lot. He's a great player and my wife and I were a fan of him on Hard Knocks...he was like a big little kid and it was cool to see him get elevated and take advantage of his opportunity. Definitely, a fun guy to root for ;)

Nope. I was pretty high on his performance as a rookie, much to my chagrin. I remember him winning plenty and looking like a future rival.
LOL, then kudos to you for picking that comparison. I laughed when I did the numbers and thought maybe you knew something already :D

A month ago I compared Mac to Peyton Manning. Has more to do with his throwing style than anything. I see more Manning in him than any other QB.

That being said, it really is hard to compare stats from that era.

While I do agree with you (although Meyers & Bourne continue getting a little better each game) honestly, the killer is the James White injury. Doing the snap counts - and you'll see this soon when I make a new feature I'm working on available - I've noticed that they run a two back and one tight end set so often that a lot of the time, they only have a couple of receivers lined up. Losing him as a receiving threat clearly limits the defense focusing on that, especially since they don't really throw Harris the football and Bolden isn't as athletic as White is/was.

However, one interesting note is the fact that they lined Jonnu Smith up at the FB position a few times this weekend. I'm sort of curious to see how that evolves.

Last edited:
A month ago I compared Mac to Peyton Manning. Has more to do with his throwing style than anything. I see more Manning in him than any other QB.

I actually do like the Manning comp in regards to the throws. Never really thought about it til you mentioned it but I certainly see it now.

QBs for whom their legs are a big part of their game are more set up for first year success as opposed to rookie drop back QBs. But I still think drop back passers are more likely to take you to the promised land. Compare Mac to other rookie drop back passers, he is quite high on any list. Plus I think Mac’s most impressive thing is not the numbers, but his ability to lead this team.

• Winner
Reactions: Ian

I see it too and it has nothing to do with stats. Manning always had smarts and accuracy and I see that in Mac.

this is what matters to me... thru 5 games in the NE system...

2no1oyK.jpg

he's ahead of the guy we had last year, and has a much higher upside...

Mayfield joined a team that went 1-31 in its prior 2 seasons and you think that’s a fair comparison?

I was saying this ALL off-season. We have no dynamic play makers. Listen to this from Colin. I could not agree more. Pats begin at 5:00 mark.

cowherd is an idiot. he starts off by saying Mac is not going to get much better (low ceiling ), but then says there is very little WR talent in NE. logic tells you that more WR talent is going to make you a lot better.

you know Ian,

id appreciate it if you compare Macs numbers to rookies who actually played in the same nfl that Mac did.

manning played in an nfl in 98 where rules did not favor the offense like they do today. Rookie year manning would throw for 40 TDS under today’s rules
How about we compare him to other rookies then.

Comp. % Yards TD's Int Games Played In
Trevor Lawrence: 59.4% 1146 6 8 5
Trey Lance 52.1% 354 3 1 4
Zach Wilson 57.3% 1117 4 9 5
Justin Fields 51.4% 458 1 2 5
Davis Mills 61.5% 669 5 5 4
Mac Jones 71.1% 1243 5 5 5

Mac is easily having the best season out of all of them this year. The only rookie I can remember having a better start to their season recently is Dak Prescott and Justin Herbert and those dudes had some stud weapons.

Even then, Mac is on pace to throw for more yards than Big Ben, Dak, Russell Wilson, and Baker Mayfield with a better completion % over 16 games.

He's having a fantastic start to his career man.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back