PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mac Ahead of Where Manning Was His Rookie Year

I’ve seen him throw several beauties way downfield while falling down with a guy on top of him that the receiver just drops (Jonnu Smith comes to mind). Don’t really know what you’re talking about there.
According to next gen stats his longest air yards is 37.2 yards second lowest to Dalton.

have you seen him throw any 50-60 yard bombs (an average distance for an nfl Qb)

Brady at his peak threw a bullet 74 yards in the air to Randy Moss hitting him in stride except giants defender tapped it away. That’s incredible arm strength

I doubt Mac will ever be able to do that but I’ll be happy if he can get his arm up to 60-65 yards

Brady at his peak threw a bullet 74 yards in the air to Randy Moss hitting him in stride except giants defender tapped it away. That’s incredible arm strength

I doubt Mac will ever be able to do that but I’ll be happy if he can get his arm up to 60-65 yards
That throw came a play after he got blasted. I still have trouble watching it. Literally an inch or two from being remembered as the greatest play ever.

Last edited:

How many 74 yard balls has Brady thrown in his career? The one? Maybe 2 or 3? Yeah, that sure is priority.

First of all, it was a high arching pass, not a bullet. Second it was 67 yards in the air, from the 13 to the 20, 3rd it was underthrown, if he had put it out in front of Moss, it would have been a catch. It was slightly behind him.

First of all, it was a high arching pass, not a bullet. Second it was 67 yards in the air, from the 13 to the 20, 3rd it was underthrown, if he had put it out in front of Moss, it would have been a catch. It was slightly behind him.
Yeah I think Brady underthrew that by just a tad. A couple yards further and Moss running at full speed - that's a touchdown and maybe the greatest one ever.

Hard to blame him since it was a REALLY long throw anyway.

Yeah I think Brady underthrew that by just a tad. A couple yards further and Moss running at full speed - that's a touchdown and maybe the greatest one ever.

Hard to blame him since it was a REALLY long throw anyway.
I agree. I'm just trying to put things in perspective. Also, Brady was able to wind up and put everything he had into that throw. It's not like he flicked it 67 yards off platform. Which is what people seem to be expecting of Mac right now.

Reactions: sb1
Don't forget, Brady was in his second year - not his first - when he took over. He was definitely stronger than he was his first season and you're right, he definitely had more on the ball than Mac does as a rookie. Hopefully, that will change in year two.

But as a rookie, Brady was just O.K. arm-wise. Again, he was really, really thin. His locker was right next to Bledsoe's and I remember looking at the two (Bledsoe was obviously considerably bigger) and thinking he definitely needs to put on some weight.

Watch this TD pass he threw during the 2000 preseason - it's not like there was a lot of zip on the ball that first year:

I think Brady always had good arm strength but his deep throws needed a lot of work. Wasn't that accurate. I wondered at the time if it came from his time playing catcher. He was a solid catching prospect back then. Catcher's throws to second almost have "rise" from point A to point B and his deep throws at the time reminded me of that.

Reactions: Ian
Your math is way off. Brady threw it across the field diagonally . You have to take the angle into consideration which adds extra yards to the total. 74 is the total by experts who calculated

Slightly behind him my ass. It was there defender made a great play

secondly name me a Qb in history that hit a WR in the hands in stride on a ball that traveled 74 air yards ??

high arching pass? Lol go re watch buddy

I agree. I'm just trying to put things in perspective. Also, Brady was able to wind up and put everything he had into that throw. It's not like he flicked it 67 yards off platform. Which is what people seem to be expecting of Mac right now.
Look at this dude trying to undermine that brady throw lol. As explained in previous post, this poster doesn’t understand how throwing diagonally across the field is longer than throwing straight down field which adds bradys air yards from 67 to 74

I think Brady always had good arm strength but his deep throws needed a lot of work. Wasn't that accurate. I wondered at the time if it came from his time playing catcher. He was a solid catching prospect back then. Catcher's throws to second almost have "rise" from point A to point B and his deep throws at the time reminded me of that.
His deep balls were fine once we found him a deep threat. Did he struggle hitting Moss or Evans deep? Deion Branch? Nope

We used to send brandon tate and matthew slater deep no wonder he couldn’t connect

Nice find @Ian.... but as others have probably said (I don't read every post in every thread, I skim and skip here and there)... Manning played on a very bad Colts team.

Also, Bledsoe had a 15/15 TD to INT ratio his first season....also on a bad Patriot team.

Manning did play on a bad team - but he also had Marshall Faulk to help him.

Mac doesn't have anyone like that and in fact no running game worth mentioning right now at all.

Nice find @Ian.... but as others have probably said (I don't read every post in every thread, I skim and skip here and there)... Manning played on a very bad Colts team.

Also, Bledsoe had a 15/15 TD to INT ratio his first season....also on a bad Patriot team.
Again, the INT total is what stood out to me. That's a surprising number of turnovers and I thought it was an interesting difference between the two.

The Brady to Moss play....ball went off Moss's fingertips

It also went further than 70 yards when you calculate the diagonal angle in which brady threw the ball. Since I brought that up, the poster who said “67 yards” has disappeared into the weeds

You are a Georgia fan. Be honest who was the better running back coming out of college Chubb or Michel?
Chubb for sure BUT fascinatingly, Chubb had huge injury concerns with those knees. No one realized Sony had worse knees at the time.
Deandre Swift was better than both of them but it hasn’t shown up in the NFL.

It also went further than 70 yards when you calculate the diagonal angle in which brady threw the ball. Since I brought that up, the poster who said “67 yards” has disappeared into the weeds
Brady was at about the 13 YL and to the right of the hashes. The field is 160' wide so say he was about 6' to the right of the hashes puts him about 17' right of center. Moss gets ball at opposite 22 YL and he's right at the numbers, which puts him at 41' from center on the opposite side. So:

X = 41 + 17 = 58'
Y = (50 - 13) + (50 - 22) = 65 yards x 3 = 195'
H = ((58^2) + (195^2))^0.5 = 203' / 3 = 68 yard dime to Moss, which went of his fingertips. That's crazy accurate.

Edit: Moss gets ball at about 22 YL. Fixed the numbers. Still impressive.

Brady's arm was always good. He just didn't have much receiving talent. Terry Glenn left the team so he was he throwing deep to in the later half of 2001?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back