PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

London stadium being designed as home of NFL franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that is a fact.

And you'd be correct...it was an estimate based on the number of teams in the US and the size of our population. We could compare LA to Montreal! ;)

And you'd be correct...it was an estimate based on the number of teams in the US and the size of our population. We could compare LA to Montreal! ;)
Except that everyone in Montreal is a hockey fan and a small percentage in LA couldn't care less about the sport.

To be fair, the NFL will look at the financial aspects and they will work from there. A few people whining and *****ing about it being 'Murica's game' won't make any difference if they feel they will get huge revenues from abroad.

As I said, I am indifferent to a franchise coming over here. I quite like the regular season games coming over. That is fine by be. I am a Patriot fan, end of.

I will not be surprised to see it happen though, once the LA problem has been 'solved'. So if that is the case, I expect to see the share price for Kleenex double overnight.

There's a basic misunderstanding of the English language here, which is understandable. Of "any repute" means any player being touted as a high draft prospect, such as the first and second rounds of the NFL draft. You have to be a little "jingoistic" yourself to actually believe even ONE player would be eager to risk his future playing on foreign soil.Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota ecstatic to be chosen to play for the London Monarchs? C'mon man.

Again, you make light of playing overseas by stating "for a few months". A "few months"? Try at least SEVEN months out of the year living in a foreign country . Try selling THAT to the dozens of prospects from the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac12, Big Twelve or any of the lesser conferences. You seem to think you can just get some guys who play football in Scotland and throw them in with a couple of undrafted NFL rookies or "small market" players (whatever THAT means)and "presto!"...NFL football for everyone!

I can see you are taking offense at our "jingoism" and confusing that with the REALITY of what makes up the NFL. NFL players come from an athletic mill that starts in high school and ends with the top 1% of all collegiate players being selected. These players possess WORLD CLASS numbers as far as speed, weight,hitting power and agility are concerned. The Jamaicans have dominated the world sprints for years. Do you see even ONE getting as much as a TRYOUT with the Jags? NO one is insulting you, your country or your athletes.You are delusional if you think American football players will be happy playing 5000 miles away on foreign soil in front of fans like YOU with built-in biases and patrons with decidedly anti-American sentiments, like more than half the populations of European countries, never mind the rest of the world. You actually think a kid from Louisiana playing on American TV every Saturday in front of his family and friends, a kid with sublime skills and a bright multimillion dollar future, this kid will gladly allow himself to be touted as this new symbol of America and American sport in a foreign land, well outside the protection of American law enforcement. For at least seven months out of the year? Jameis Winston is just going to walk around Piccadilly unafraid and unconcerned about ending up under the knife of Jihadi John?

I'll tell you this, NOT MY KID. No freaking way. And no way do I want the NFL dragged into a geo-political firestorm in the name of "world sport". Sorry. I'll STAY happily jingoistic and content in my enjoyment of the National Football League. If that changes to some WWE worldwide spectacle sport, count me out. I'll stick to the NCAA...and guess what, another league WILL form catering to the players and fans that want the sport to REMAIN American.

Ok Lets go.

First i said: Its possible to have a team in London, and that i dont like the idea. NFL should remain in the US. They should have their own league. They have fantastic cities and they have money to accomplish it.

My second point. This idea seems much more interesting to the NFL than to Europe. Perhaps the league need more of the European market than vice versa.

Now replicating some points of what you wrote I do not agree .

If YOU mean by any repute 1st and 2nd round players ok. But i want the UDFA to have a opportunity to follow their dreams. That young man who could not be one of the 300 players selected in the draft should give up the dream because he has no other place to play ? Ask Michael Sam if he would not like to play by the Monarchs ??

Maybe he can play in a European league and be successful professionally.

It is the right of every individual choose their path, or you speak for all 300 million North Americans ? In the draft the player might choose to go the franchise from another country or not. I do not know.I guarantee that those responsible would find answers .
Nobody would force the young Louisiana man to drop the barbecue and family for the opportunity to live abroad . He could choose.

All american soccer players and other minors sports live and thrive in Europe and only the supreme talents of football , may not have the ´´displeasure`` of playing in Europe . Ok ....

Second paragraph:

I lived in Austin TX, Hazleton PA... Several months( year), so? I said a couple of months because they can have OTA´s, work outs, training camp all in North America. They will have to stay there at least for 2 months to play the games. Again, IM AGAINST THE IDEA. I'm imagining a scenario. That´s it.

Third paragraph:

I do not feel offended at all. But here is an open forum that I can disagree with you .

All top athletes have physical attributes - and paraphrasing your words - come from an athletic mill that starts in high school.

I repeat. All sports. No top athlete falls from the sky. All are trained from a young age.

The talent that some have to play football, is not the same to play basketball , soccer, baseball. Each has its capability.

If you think the football athletes are better is your opinion. I can appreciate every talent in a different way.

Football players are not superior to anyone, IMO. They have talent in their sport. They are not chosen by deities to be superior to other athletes.

Have you ever thought that in a universe of 300 million people some can run 4:29 seconds for 40 yards, but in a world of 7 billion people this time would be wiped out (or not)?

What you speak of law enforcement is not worth to replicate .

Only tell you that everywhere have some kind of violence , some less than others. And the Jihadi John is no different from Columbine . People are sometimes perverse and is not the place that determines that they are good or bad. You seem to be very Darwinian Hopefully Im wrong.

I have no anti American sentiment (because I 'm American - person born in America is American) and all this nonsense you speak.Please do not label me. If i had something like that i wouldnt root for the Patriots let alone accompany the sport that symbolizes the United States.

I on the topic just said what I wrote above. And I have argued that the four major sports practiced in the United States , three are global. And that therefore do not agree with the member forum mate, when he refers leagues : NFL, NBA , MLB and NHL as synonymous with sports.

Fourth paragraph :

Nothing to say. As you raise your children and what you watch only concerns you .

Last edited:
Just like hockey has it's roots in Canada, golf started in England....and you have The Open. It's not the most popular among the 4 majors here, but I'm sure it is over there.

But I do like to make people "bristle"! ;)
Small point of order - golf started in Scotland, not England. That's quite a big difference around these parts..!

Ok Lets go.

First i said: Its possible to have a team in London, and that i dont like the idea. NFL should remain in the US. They should have their own league. They have fantastic cities and they have money to accomplish it.

My second point. This idea seems much more interesting to the NFL than to Europe. Perhaps the league need more of the European market than vice versa.

Now replicating some points of what you wrote I do not agree .

If YOU mean by any repute 1st and 2nd round players ok. But i want the UDFA to have a opportunity to follow their dreams. That young man who could not be one of the 300 players selected in the draft should give up the dream because he has no other place to play ? Ask Michael Sam if he would not like to play by the Monarchs ??

Maybe he can play in a European league and be successful professionally.

It is the right of every individual choose their path, or you speak for all 300 million North Americans ? In the draft the player might choose to go the franchise from another country or not. I do not know.I guarantee that those responsible would find answers .
Nobody would force the young Louisiana man to drop the barbecue and family for the opportunity to live abroad . He could choose.

All american soccer players and other minors sports live and thrive in Europe and only the supreme talents of football , may not have the ´´displeasure`` of playing in Europe . Ok ....

Second paragraph:

I lived in Austin TX, Hazleton PA... Several months( year), so? I said a couple of months because they can have OTA´s, work outs, training camp all in North America. They will have to stay there at least for 2 months to play the games. Again, IM AGAINST THE IDEA. I'm imagining a scenario. That´s it.

Third paragraph:

I do not feel offended at all. But here is an open forum that I can disagree with you .

All top athletes have physical attributes - and paraphrasing your words - come from an athletic mill that starts in high school.

I repeat. All sports. No top athlete falls from the sky. All are trained from a young age.

The talent that some have to play football, is not the same to play basketball , soccer, baseball. Each has its capability.

If you think the football athletes are better is your opinion. I can appreciate every talent in a different way.

Football players are not superior to anyone, IMO. They have talent in their sport. They are not chosen by deities to be superior to other athletes.

Have you ever thought that in a universe of 300 million people some can run 4:29 seconds for 40 yards, but in a world of 7 billion people this time would be wiped out (or not)?

What you speak of law enforcement is not worth to replicate .

Only tell you that everywhere have some kind of violence , some less than others. And the Jihadi John is no different from Columbine . People are sometimes perverse and is not the place that determines that they are good or bad. You seem to be very Darwinian Hopefully Im wrong.

I have no anti American sentiment (because I 'm American - person born in America is American) and all this nonsense you speak.Please do not label me. If i had something like that i wouldnt root for the Patriots let alone accompany the sport that symbolizes the United States.

I on the topic just said what I wrote above. And I have argued that the four major sports practiced in the United States , three are global. And that therefore do not agree with the member forum mate, when he refers leagues : NFL, NBA , MLB and NHL as synonymous with sports.

Fourth paragraph :

Nothing to say. As you raise your children and what you watch only concerns you .

Whatever. You want to make this a world vs. American battle. You equate Columbine with millions of jihadis bloodlusting to murder Americans ANYWHERE ANYTIME they can? You consistently MISS my point about the players of the game. Jamaicans have the fastest athletes in the world. Jamaicans DO NOT play NFL football. The NFL is a culmination of an American sporting culture that starts on the pee wee level. If the WORLD of 6 billion people BEGIN developing gridiron players from a young age, of course they'd provide that minute percentage that make the NFL what it is . The point is THIS DOES NOT EXIST. What I do NOT want,as an NFL fan, is MY team traveling 5000 miles to a FOREIGN country to play against another team that is, essentially a test tube baby. The idea SUCKS.

As far as "two months a year is all they'd play there!!". Jeezus, lay off the mezcal. An NFL team would have its facilities wherever they play their games. It's preposterous to expect an NFL team to practiuce for months in the states and then move to England for "two months" to play "home" games. Nobody in their right mind would want to be THAT NFL player on THAT team. You keep arguing there's no difference, well, I've traveled world wide many times, from the Orient to Europe to Australia/New Zealand and I can TELL you, there's a huge difference. Travel like YOU suggest would would severely taxing on the British players, one week here, another week there,three weeks there, two weeks here...yo-yo yo-yo...and meanwhile, half the NFL teams do NOT have to put up with ANY of this garbage while division foes and conference games would have to be endured by THOSE teams involved.

This makes it all a NEW game...NOT NFL football. THAT was and IS my first and MAJOR point. YOU want this "we are the world!" type of football. Perhaps YOU will get what YOU want. What I said is I, personally, will not watch or be part of any such dog and pony show.

Small point of order - golf started in Scotland, not England. That's quite a big difference around these parts..!

Oh crap you're right...and I'm 25% Scottish and 25% Irish heritage!!

Whatever. You want to make this a world vs. American battle. You equate Columbine with millions of jihadis bloodlusting to murder Americans ANYWHERE ANYTIME they can? You consistently MISS my point about the players of the game. Jamaicans have the fastest athletes in the world. Jamaicans DO NOT play NFL football. The NFL is a culmination of an American sporting culture that starts on the pee wee level. If the WORLD of 6 billion people BEGIN developing gridiron players from a young age, of course they'd provide that minute percentage that make the NFL what it is . The point is THIS DOES NOT EXIST. What I do NOT want,as an NFL fan, is MY team traveling 5000 miles to a FOREIGN country to play against another team that is, essentially a test tube baby. The idea SUCKS.

As far as "two months a year is all they'd play there!!". Jeezus, lay off the mezcal. An NFL team would have its facilities wherever they play their games. It's preposterous to expect an NFL team to practiuce for months in the states and then move to England for "two months" to play "home" games. Nobody in their right mind would want to be THAT NFL player on THAT team. You keep arguing there's no difference, well, I've traveled world wide many times, from the Orient to Europe to Australia/New Zealand and I can TELL you, there's a huge difference. Travel like YOU suggest would would severely taxing on the British players, one week here, another week there,three weeks there, two weeks here...yo-yo yo-yo...and meanwhile, half the NFL teams do NOT have to put up with ANY of this garbage while division foes and conference games would have to be endured by THOSE teams involved.

This makes it all a NEW game...NOT NFL football. THAT was and IS my first and MAJOR point. YOU want this "we are the world!" type of football. Perhaps YOU will get what YOU want. What I said is I, personally, will not watch or be part of any such dog and pony show.

First Facts:
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-nationally-and-state#MRalpha
http://www.citizensreportuk.org/reports/murders-fatal-violence-uk.html

I do not know your level of education, let alone the xenophobia level instilled in you, and little care.

But you said a person would not feel safe walking down in any European country and you feel safe anywhere in the United States. I do not know what word would you describe your level of ignorance.

That's your opinion and I respect it.

I understand that you do not want YOUR team flying 5000 miles to play in a stadium full of Jihadis. But show me where I said the Patriots should play there. I just said that if the owners wanted and the NFL Commissioners wanted this would be POSSIBLE, or would not ? I said it would be a good idea if it would help to form a European League.

I think even that initially the North American athletes would be the biggest beneficiaries of the new league.Because of the semi professional system of colleges in the U.S., they would easily play in other leagues, if they do not become a NFL star they could be one in these new alloys. They Would be well paid . Could follow their dreams on a different scale .

Tax issues would be resolved, as well as issues related to labor laws, as stated by the Londoner friend, there are other sports with similar problems and all of them ha competitions in England.

Returning to the fact of violence that you brought with your racist argument. I will not go into discussions only look the links above that I posted. It is far from a fact what you testified.

I will repeat for you not to distort my words. I just said that in anywhere in the world there is violence and that each place has its specificity. It is cultural . In Mexico and Brazil violence would be originated and drug-related . In the Middle East the religious and territorial issues . And then in the United States there are numerous massacres like Columbine, Newtown, Virgia Tech ... Anywhere in the world you should exercise caution .

I've been in London a few times and never felt threatened by any Jihadi John, or whatever you want to call.

I live in a country (third world) that has a drug problem, so this part of town there are many conflicts and violence i avoid. I even understand you do not feel safe in my country, but in London? They have a murder rate almost five times lower than United States. Do you think Columbine is an isolated incident? And what about Virginia Tech, Newtown are well violent acts or not? When depreciate a place and a city at least take facts to support your xenophobia.

You in the second paragraph continues your ubiquitous speech. You know what is good for all players and know what they would want or not. There goes a novelty, not everyone thinks like you.

The league has owners and they need to profit, so I said it would be possible to have a team in London.
Where I offended anyone ? I said that London is a better city than any small town in the United States ( AND ALL CITIES IN BRAZIL ).I THINK many players , I can not say for everyone, but I THINK that many would prefer to live in London rather than Jacksonville . It's an opinion .Where I lied ? Because I said the obvious?

They could extend the fixture list, make straight games in the english capital. They have a number of possible solutions. But instead of discussing it , you begin the silly talks, about war, terrorism, violence.
Why not talk over the counter points ?

Stick to football and what the possible change from one team to another country can interfere with the game . If you do not want the young Americans play somewhere else no one will force them. Salary , Calendar , Draft , Conference. All these facts are relevant to the game. Jihadi John , Laws ... These facts are the supremacy of another country and if you have no ability to comment ,do not.
You are very concerned about what the tax the players will pay, but if the owners increase the value of tickets to watch the games of the supreme stars, you must be one of the first to complain about ...

If you come with some fact , please bring along some information and not your retrograde tenets .

Last edited:
You're calling me a racist now? OK, whatever. Ignore you go.

The NFL has tried since the late 1980's to promote its type of football in Europe without significant success. The WAFL/NFLE was locally marketed as a spectacle catering to US ex-pats and overseas business people mostly, simply ignoring the sports aspect and never building grassroots interest. The London American Bowl games are the same. They are a meeting point for NFL fans from all over Europe, not just from the teams involved in the game. That's why they sell out, as an unique opportunity to watch a live NFL game. However, for the European regular Joe, soccer is still number one, and american football is just a weird interlude. Only suitable to watch for a few games per year. The NFL is better off by starting to provide support for the local leagues in Europe, which is a lot cheaper than putting a team in London. A team in London will lose money from Day one, and be moved to either LA or maybe a Canadian location (Toronto?, Vancouver?) after three years of losing football.

I heard that now we are getting some games in Mexico next season. Interesting

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I heard that now we are getting some games in Mexico next season. Interesting
"Interesting"? That's the last word I would use. Exploitative, cynical ... pathetic for sure, perhaps even dangerous.

Maybe Spurs should worry about a top 4 finish before an NFL team....

Until I read, thought it was the San Antonio Spurs.

That NBA team coached by a no-nonsense Croat, emphasizing execution and teamwork - won four championships the past 15 or so years. Sound familiar? :D :D :D

"Interesting"? That's the last word I would use. Exploitative, cynical ... pathetic for sure, perhaps even dangerous.
yeah it's the NFL, what else were you expecting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down