PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

London stadium being designed as home of NFL franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike the Brit

Minuteman Target
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Tottenham Hotspur (one of the leading Premier League clubs) is looking to replace its stadium and is incorporating plans for a sliding artificial turf pitch and NFL-size locker room. I think that the idea of an NFL franchise based in London is a terrible one, but it's clear that, if they've got this far, the NFL is dead serious.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...al-pitch-at-new-stadium-to-boost-NFL-bid.html

Consultants say Thursday night would be the best for European home games, so teams will try to get a few hours sleep on the plane.

Goodell is a genius, no doubt

Maybe Spurs should worry about a top 4 finish before an NFL team....

Maybe Spurs should worry about a top 4 finish before an NFL team....

Well, from the Spurs point of view, the two things go together. They don't have a dodgy sheik or Russian oligarch funding them, so the new stadium is their best chance of getting into the top tier financially. And the NFL franchise will help them build that.

Why don't they try to put a franchise in Toronto or Vancouver? Canadians are crazy about sports. People didn't think basketball could work in Canada and Toronto is ****ing crazy about the Raptors even though they suck most of the time.

goodell-cash.png

GoodellMoneyDive.gif

This is a terrible idea for so many reasons. But the league is seeing nothing but dollars and it will hurt them in the long run. No product is invincible.

I see a $100 million bonus in Goodell's future with this move :(

I do wonder how the British franchise will go. Every single game that is played over here sells out, yet the stadium is full of shirts from all around the NFL, who are coming to watch a game live as it is an experience.

However, I seriously wonder if these people will start burning their ****s and start following the 'London Monarchs' every two weeks? In the end, we all have out own allegiances already.

The London teas
The London rains
The London drinkers

Well on my way to London to protest outside the building. Already got my "No London Representation without Football Fascination" picket sign ready. Feeling confident I will have this stopped in no time.

I just pray the NFL's goal is to keep our sport purely American. If they want to start a league in Europe, fine, but I don't want Euro teams playing our teams. Let them have their second-rate league, that's ok.

But having a "The New England Patriots vs the Munich Wolves" would suck.

I dont like either but its possible. They play the first 8 games home. All teams after bye weeks travel to London to play there. They will have 10 days or more to rest and after that they come back to play in the US. The players have to ´´live`` there for 2 months or so. If they go to playoffs they can stretch the schedule a little bit.

One game is enough, IMO. Im happy with a pre season game.

I just pray the NFL's goal is to keep our sport purely American. If they want to start a league in Europe, fine, but I don't want Euro teams playing our teams. Let them have their second-rate league, that's ok.

But having a "The New England Patriots vs the Munich Wolves" would suck.

I dont agree with you. I like soccer and tournaments between countries are much more fun than internal competitions.

But in the case of football I think the amount of practitioners in the world (not in an amateur way, as a hobby), say the US college level, is still very small. Adding to the fact the distance. Intercontinental competitions usually demand a huge part of the calendar.

and just like that...*POOF*...the game we 've known and loved for almost a century...GONE BABY GONE...that ex-Disney exec and the rest of the NFL offices cabal have finally managed to mangle and disfigure our league forever. Now it's on the threshold of becoming the WWFL...worldwide football league.

You people tell me this...what NCAA football player of any repute whatsoever will want to be drafted and play in a foreign country? Oh, they'll all SAY the appropriate things and play down how they feel about it but you all KNOW no one is going to want to be in a foreign country playing ball while everyone they know and grew up with and played with in college is on an NFL team situated in the U.S.

This means the league is purely entertainment now and the players are nothing more than WWE like performers. In time this will become known as the "How To Kill The Golden Goose" decision. Good job, rich kid scumbags...you took your beautiful shiny toy and turned it into a pile of dried birdshyt in under a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes