PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lions Sign Amendola

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking of having both. Get this guy back in NE for 1 year, draft another in the first 3 rounds and then take a chance on someone like Hunter Renfrow in the 6th.
I know the Pats haven’t had much success drafting receivers, but I also hope they draft a wr with one of their first 6 picks. They haven’t drafted many receivers in the first 3 rounds recently. Dobson in 2013 and Jackson was 06. I thought Mitchell (4th round) was good but got hurt. Wouldn’t have won Atlanta SB without him. Brady went to him often in the late 3rd and 4th quarter. Either way, I’m sure they have a good plan for the draft/free agency to address the needs of the team and will be tough to beat next season.

We need someone to spell Edelman in the slot and on punts. Edelman is getting up there too. Amendola can do that. We saw how the Pat's offense looked this year when Edelman was suspended without another slot guy.

And I want him healthy for the playoffs and not taking a beating every game.

Edelman, Dorsett, gordon, amendola would be my choices doe receiver this year

I know the Pats haven’t had much success drafting receivers, but I also hope they draft a wr with one of their first 6 picks. They haven’t drafted many receivers in the first 3 rounds recently. Dobson in 2013 and Jackson was 06. I thought Mitchell (4th round) was good but got hurt. Wouldn’t have won Atlanta SB without him. Brady went to him often in the late 3rd and 4th quarter. Either way, I’m sure they have a good plan for the draft/free agency to address the needs of the team and will be tough to beat next season.
They haven't tried in 4 years

This is probably as bad as Belichick might do.

We need someone to spell Edelman in the slot and on punts. Edelman is getting up there too. Amendola can do that. We saw how the Pat's offense looked this year when Edelman was suspended without another slot guy.

I don't see all that much improvement compared to last year in this case. And who knows if Gordon even plays this year. Would leave you with Amendola or Dorsett as the #2. Not ideal.

Amendola falls into the category of being a May or June question. AFTER the draft and probably AFTER the first organized activities. THEN, when they have gotten a first look at the WR they have pieced together with the draft, etc, Danny Amendola, if he's still available, will become someone to talk about. At this point of his career, he's a luxury item.

There is no doubt that he'd be of help since he knows the offense so well. But he isn't going to be a starter, but rather a back up #4 or 5 WR. Chatham made a good case for bringing him back, but certainly not now or in the next few weeks

I don't get why you wouldn't have him here for the right deal. I understand you might need the money for cap, but if the deal is right with little risk, why not? They are as close to having no one else as you can almost be.

If you are saying Danny wouldn't be interested at our price now, agreed, but I think the Jets will lock him before May/June, if it's about money.

I'm not really counting on the Pat's to draft a WR who can contribute right away. First they have to learn the offense and secondly earn Brady's trust. It's taken Dorsett over a year to begin being trusted and some games he was never thrown to at all

Andelman comes with a sparkling resume.

Eddie would be my backup plan in case the drafted WR winds up joining the other 25 WRs the Pat's have drafted that are now out of the league

Trust me I share your concerns but I can think of 20 WR's in this upcoming Draft who's already better than Dorsett.

SOME COMMENTS

1) Amendola likely won't come back for less than $5M (a $1M salary cut from last year), and that is too much for the role that he would have for us.

2) Dorsett wants to be a "starter". He might accept a #2 role and would expect to be paid for such a role. I don't think that Belichick wants him as our #2 WR, or will pay him to be our #2 WR.

3) If Gordon is tendered, we should think of him as our #5 WR. He might do great for part of the year, or more, or less.

4) We need a #2 WR, which Belichick will likely sign or trade for.

I heard that too it seems like Dola shot his way out of town. I can't see BB bringing him back knowing how paltry the group is also Flash Gordon's uncertainty. Young fresh blood is desperately Needed at the position. I can live with the growing pains.

No you can't. Hahaha.

I’d happily welcome him back for half of what Edelman will make

Don’t think that’s likely though

How about a nice fifth round flier?

I admit to being a huge lifetime Pats homo, but I don't get fans hating Danny (Mr Clutch) Amendola were he to become a Jete. I have no problem with Pats players at their career end cashing a nice paycheck pre retirement.

1) Amendola likely won't come back for less than $5M (a $1M salary cut from last year), and that is too much for the role that he would have for us.

I'm not so sure. IMO we may be significantly overrating the market for a WR who will be turning 34 and has never collected 700 yards in a season.

I think we need someone like Dola to round out our core. I really like him as the #3. He is already in the Brady circle of trust. I would much prefer him to Patterson, Dorsett or Hogan. We are not at the stage where we are worrying about 3 or 4 years down the line. This year is all there is right now for me.

We need to cash in on Brady while we still can and that doesn't include a 3 or 4 year plan. It may not even include a 2 year plan. If he plays for 3 or 4 years that be great but if you worry about year 3 or 4 at the expense of this year in ANY WAY You're making a huge mistake IMO.

I agree. Realistically we don't know when the next superteam (like the Seattle of a few years ago) will show up but right now it doesn't seen like there is any powerhouse out there, that means the Pats, with the system we have in place, have a real shot at making to the SB again.

Maybe the Chiefs are this team, I think the Colts can improve, I really don't have any trust in Houston or Tennessee, even Jacksonville. Baltimore will make the playoffs but they will be to predictable of a team, Pittsburgh I don't know...that's only in the AFC.

In the NFC I think the Rams will fell the SB loss and go back to earth, the Saints are solid, Seattle may improve a bit, Dallas, Chicago, I see no juggernaut.

BB doesn't work with win now or window concept but we really are in a unique situation he may think differently given his age as well, I don't think he stays for another 5 years.

Amendola would be a good option for a cheap price but you don't want to be getting older over an off season.

I'm not so sure. IMO we may be significantly overrating the market for a WR who will be turning 34 and has never collected 700 yards in a season.
(I'm guessing) Amendola will also be overrating the market for a 34 yr old wr because as a 33 yr old wr he got $6 million a year. And it only takes one team looking for playoff experience or being just plain stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing