PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lions DT Ndamukong Suh {edited 2x} WINS APPEAL TO UNSUSPEND for latest stomp/step for playoffs

Wrong. Goodell's numerous press conferences and statements in the press have made him face for player discipline. He chose to position himself that way - not me. Rozelle never did it. Neither did Tagliabue. He created this persona and the perception followers of the NFL have of him.
When has Goodell held a press conference or made statements to make himself the face for ON FIELD player discipline?
Again, you misunderstanding what he is talking about does not mean he is talking about something else.
The fact that you cannot discern the difference between the personal conduct policy and discipline for on field infractions is not Roger Goodell's fault, he cannot force you to pay attention.

Does the perception innacurately reflect the actual disciplinary process? Yes. As the CEO of the NFL is it his responsibility to shape, clarify his image and articulate his job function publicy? Absafreakinglutely.
It is not his responsibility to not have you be wrong about your perception.
Please list everything he has done to lead you to believe fines and suspensions for on field incidents are his responsibility rather than you thinking on field and personal conduct must be the same thing because you are too lazy to notice the difference so you blame Goodell for your lack of knowledge, since, after all, he is the one announcing the issues he is actually responsible for so that must mean he is responsible for everything.

Because he is a poor communicator, he is hurting himself from a PR standpoint.
You cannot force people to listen or pay attention.
I don't think he can possibly worry about his image with people who judge him on things he does not do.

By your logic if we allow 500 yards and 50 points in the playoffs its Tom Brady's fault because he went out and made himself the fact of the franchise and winning.

Right, Goodell has no control whatsoever over the decisions & actions of his minions

Why do such egregious miscarriages keep happening to this beleaguered commissioner?

Perhaps if he was paid more, he could fix this
He does not make every decision.
I think this one was handled well actually.
But by all means lets blame the guy we don't like for everything that happens whether he has anything to do with it or not. That makes sense.
This is one of the reasons people don't take the blind Goodell haters seriously.

When has Goodell held a press conference or made statements to make himself the face for ON FIELD player discipline?
Again, you misunderstanding what he is talking about does not mean he is talking about something else.
The fact that you cannot discern the difference between the personal conduct policy and discipline for on field infractions is not Roger Goodell's fault, he cannot force you to pay attention.

It is not his responsibility to not have you be wrong about your perception.
Please list everything he has done to lead you to believe fines and suspensions for on field incidents are his responsibility rather than you thinking on field and personal conduct must be the same thing because you are too lazy to notice the difference so you blame Goodell for your lack of knowledge, since, after all, he is the one announcing the issues he is actually responsible for so that must mean he is responsible for everything.

You cannot force people to listen or pay attention.
I don't think he can possibly worry about his image with people who judge him on things he does not do.

By your logic if we allow 500 yards and 50 points in the playoffs its Tom Brady's fault because he went out and made himself the fact of the franchise and winning.

As a fan and a direct/indirect customer of the product he is supposed to nurture, advance and protect the brand, it is his responsibility to do everything in his power to create and shape a positive image of himself and the league he represents - a very public one at that.

He is the CEO, Andy. Right or wrong he is responsible for everything- including his customer's perception of him.

I'll stop here. We disagree on his job function. I'm not changing you position and you are not changing mine.

As a fan and a direct/indirect customer of the product he is supposed to nurture, advance and protect the brand, it is his responsibility to do everything in his power to create and shape a positive image of himself and the league he represents - a very public one at that.

He is the CEO, Andy. Right or wrong he is responsible for everything- including his customer's perception of him.

I'll stop here. We disagree on his job function. I'm not changing you position and you are not changing mine.
There is nothing that he can do that would solve your problem.
You don't pay attention to who is responsible for on-field discipline and incorrectly assume it is the guy who is responsible for off-field discipline when every week of the season there are numerous reports about who is making these decisions.
You disagree with his decisions, so you do not like him, and therefore take the lazy approach that if you do not like it, it must be his fault. That is a you problem.
Goodell (aside from the Rice situation) is portraying exactly the image that he wishes to. He wants to be tough on off the field transgressions. He wants to be tough on player safety issues. He asks his employees to make decisions based upon that.
The fact that you do not like the decision does not mean his image is not positive, and the fact that you cannot get it straight what decisions are his only clouds the matter further.

It would have been much easier if you simply said, Oh yeah, he has never made those decisions, my bad, but you chose to double down instead.
Oh well, on to another topic.....

Wow, just heard about Suh....Someone please explain how he won his appeal and will be able to play Sunday. He tried to hurt Rodgers, there is no question about that. That is just Awful!!!! I'm seriously surprised it got overturned, especially considering his track record of being a dirty, scumbag of a player.

Wow, just heard about Suh....Someone please explain how he won his appeal and will be able to play Sunday. He tried to hurt Rodgers, there is no question about that. That is just Awful!!!! I'm seriously surprised it got overturned, especially considering his track record of being a dirty, scumbag of a player.

according to those in the know, the new punishment deal involved a clause to allow repeat offenders to lose the "repeat offender" tag if they go 32 games(including preseason and playoff) without an incident.

Suh was on game Number 33 when he stepped on rodgers twice.

absolute ********, and i hope someone takes him out permanently.

You don't pay attention to who is responsible for on-field discipline and incorrectly assume it is the guy who is responsible for off-field discipline when every week of the season there are numerous reports about who is making these decisions.
You disagree with his decisions, so you do not like him, and therefore take the lazy approach that if you do not like it, it must be his fault. That is a you problem.
Goodell (aside from the Rice situation) is portraying exactly the image that he wishes to. He wants to be tough on off the field transgressions. He wants to be tough on player safety issues. He asks his employees to make decisions based upon that.
The fact that you do not like the decision does not mean his image is not positive, and the fact that you cannot get it straight what decisions are his only clouds the matter further.

It would have been much easier if you simply said, Oh yeah, he has never made those decisions, my bad, but you chose to double down instead.
I take exception to how you have characterized my position.

I never stated that I disagreed with the Sun decision. I also understand Cottrell's and Hanks' job function- which is what I said in one on my initial responses.

My position is that Goodell -and Goodell alone is responsible for his image and public perception. Along with the perception you have - which I agree with, has an image of being indecisive, lacking in transparency and incredibly inconsistent in policy enforcement.

Why you are accusing me of taking positions i havent even commented on and calling me lazy is a bit over the top and unwarranted.

So I take it you think Goodell has a positive image overall amongst the "lazy" fanbase? Interesting Baghdad Bobbian response.

according to those in the know, the new punishment deal involved a clause to allow repeat offenders to lose the "repeat offender" tag if they go 32 games(including preseason and playoff) without an incident.

Must have been why he felt like the time was right.

He didn't win his appeal. Cottrell changed the punishment.

Of course, no blind law and order sycophant could ever possibly believe that Cottrell is nothing more than a cat's paw. Nah. Couldn't be.

Your description requires knowing what was going on in his mind. I see him watching the play and moving backward. I see dozens of players move like that after plays every game. If it was someone other than Suh, no one would say anything.
It isn't the moving backwards. It's the deliberate pause after he raises his right foot after he has his left foot on Rodger's leg. I don't see how that pause can be seen as anything other than deliberate.

Wow. I didn't realize that. That's hilarious. So he went /exactly/ the number of games required to lose the repeat offender tag and then in the /very next game/ he does this. Classic.

Wow. I didn't realize that. That's hilarious. So he went /exactly/ the number of games required to lose the repeat offender tag and then in the /very next game/ he does this. Classic.
Before the season, the league notified players on the list of the exact game they'd be off it. So Suh knew it was week 17 of this year he'd be off that list.

Someone reasoned (?!) that suspending Suh in the playoffs would hurt the post season experience...what if Suh took Rodgers down for the season? :mad:

Goodell and his staff should be thinking of a worst case scenario - a fatality on the field from a dirty play (yes, shades of the Darrell Stingley hit). Think of the law suits and congressional action, the mention of the NFL did not take serious action against Suh and other players.

Also should think of vigilantes taking action to compensate for the NFL not.

A talking head on ESPN radio was mentioning nobody has ever been suspended from an NFL playoff game and opined they should not randomly make Suh an example. Like Suh's play is typically sportmanlike and what he did to Rodgers is just an anomoly - r-i-g-h-t.

How are Suh and Ryan different?

Suh has a thing about legs.

Ryan has a thing about toes.

Anyone who thinks Suh isn't a calculating, psychopathic dirtbag, who was innocent in this case, is kidding themselves.....Or flat out trolling.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back