PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lifelong Panthers fan AMA (ask me anything) Cam Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Pats Nation all the way from North Carolina. As you can see by my username, I am a Panthers fan who as of a few weeks ago became a Pats fan as well. Full disclosure, in the past I HATED the Pats, going back to when you guys beat us in the Super Bowl in 2003, which was a hell of a shootout. That said, as time past I gained respect for the sustained success (asterisks be damned), and by the time NE was playing Atlanta in the Super Bowl I was all aboard. We still owe you guys for denying Matt Ryan and the Failcons a championship.

All this to say, now that Mr. Cameron Jerrell Newton has signed to New England I am fully on the Pats wagon as the team I'm pulling for the most outside of the Panthers. If Carolina isn't winning the Super Bowl (highly likely they won't), I want the Pats to win with Newton at QB.

Since Cam has been signed, I've been reading this forum and the discussion surrounding the signing. I have to say, you guys are having the some of the exact same conversations and concerns (on and off the field) Panthers fans have been having going on ten years.

So as someone who has seen virtually every single Cam Newton snap since his first preseason game in Carolina and followed him closely, I humbly offer my thoughts and insight from the point of view as a lifelong Panthers fan (I was ten years old when the franchise began).

TLDR version: What do you want to know about Cam Newton from someone who has seen damn near every snap he has taken since being in the NFL?

Welcome to Patsfans Pantherman.

I was wondering if you have season tickets. My son and I went to the last game of the year in Carolina in 2001, the year that our dynasty began. Were you there?

As for Cam, I really can't stand his act, haven't from the beginning, but now that he's here I'll be one of his biggest fans if he plays.

I don't follow college ball at all, so the first time I ever saw or heard Cam was in the NYFL. What I didn't like most of all was his claim that he wanted to be an icon, even before he played a game.

Cam also took some heat at the time of the draft from one of the Giants LB's, I don't recall which one. That LB's claim was that a QB had to be a pocket passer to win, like Brady or Manning. I don't think that changed much with Mahomes.

I hope you enjoy your time here. It's one of the best sites around.

Any points you made could have been done by a child who can search PFR. All numbers-based in a uniform package. That ain’t how football works.
100% incorrect but then your argument is all
an opinion which does not hold up to the facts and excuses, which would be embarrassing even for a child.

100% incorrect but then your argument is all
an opinion which does not hold up to the facts and excuses, which would be embarrassing even for a child.

So it’s 100% incorrect....but not one reason given as to why. What of those numbers you posted couldn’t have been shown by a 3rd grader with a minute to click a few boxes on PFR. All while “cherry-picking” and leaving out a strength of Cam, but no one else.

Let’s try this. Explain Tom Brady and his 2013 season. Why did he suck so bad? (Calm down folks....he’s the GOAT just making a point)

So it’s 100% incorrect....but not one reason given as to why. What of those numbers you posted couldn’t have been shown by a 3rd grader with a minute to click a few boxes on PFR. All while “cherry-picking” and leaving out a strength of Cam, but no one else.

Let’s try this. Explain Tom Brady and his 2013 season. Why did he suck so bad? (Calm down folks....he’s the GOAT just making a point)
Brady led the patriots to a 12-4 record and the #3 scoring offense in the nfl in 2013. He didn’t suck at all. Did you watch him play?
Again you are mixed up. Stats SUPPORT an argument they don’t MAKE an argument.
The stats I showed in newton support the argument that I have been making for weeks.
If he plays as a dual threat QB he can be effective but if he can’t or won’t run, AS PEOPLE HAVE SUGGESTED TO START THIS CONVERSATION , and is solely a pocket passer he will struggle. People argued that so to BACK UP MY ANALYSIS I showed the numbers.
Perhaps if you tried to follow along instead of jumping in the middle trying to be a tough guy, you would have understood that, not made such a ridiculous statement and wasted my time.

Come on dude, as a Pats fan you have to know your facts about these BS scandals.

@Conflicted Panthers fan, the Pats were NOT punished for anything that they taped. They were punished for taping other teams signals FROM THE WRONG LOCATION in the stadium, in violation of a league memo. Taping signals was NOT illegal at that point. The league just didn't want teams to tape the signals from field level. Belichick tried to be cute and thought that he could get away with it on a technicality (based upon the wording of the league memo) while sticking it to the league office, reasoning the videos were not being used to assist them in that game, on that day.

In summary, the real name of the scandal should be CAMERAINTHEWRONGLOCATIONGATE.
This is 100% correct. What they filmed never was part of the issue as all teams film signals. They just do from a league authorized location

Another aspect is that the location the Patriots filmed from was actually legal the year before. Goodell sent out a letter changing that rule. His letter didn’t “officially“ change the rule because there’s another step that makes a rule change official. So Belichick tested/challenged Goodell’s letter by not abiding by it

Cam’s success in New England hinges on one thing, his health.

If his health wasn’t an issue, Carolina wouldn’t have let him go and if they did another team would have picked him up long ago.

Work ethic? Intellect?

You guys are telling on yourselves. Yikes
Why is it wrong to question Cam’s intellect or work ethic? I don’t get the “Yikes” comment.

Does he make decision mistakes (interceptions) often?

Has he practiced as hard in his eighth year as he did in his first year?

Does he dive on balls he fumbled & fight for them?

I’m pulling for Cam’s success but I’m also hoping that Stidham works out. The thing I care about most is what Belichick thinks and believes because we don’t get to make these judgements

Welcome to Patsfans Pantherman.

I was wondering if you have season tickets. My son and I went to the last game of the year in Carolina in 2001, the year that our dynasty began. Were you there?

As for Cam, I really can't stand his act, haven't from the beginning, but now that he's here I'll be one of his biggest fans if he plays.

I don't follow college ball at all, so the first time I ever saw or heard Cam was in the NYFL. What I didn't like most of all was his claim that he wanted to be an icon, even before he played a game.

Cam also took some heat at the time of the draft from one of the Giants LB's, I don't recall which one. That LB's claim was that a QB had to be a pocket passer to win, like Brady or Manning. I don't think that changed much with Mahomes.

I hope you enjoy your time here. It's one of the best sites around.

Thanks for the welcome.

No I don’t have season tickets, I’ve looked into buying PSL seats in the past but to me they’re way overpriced plus I live a couple hours from Charlotte. I was at the MNF game when the Pats came to town in 2013 I believe. One of the best pure football games I’ve ever seen. I hate that all anyone remembers (outside of Cam’s ridiculous scramble) is the controversial call at the very end. Leading up to that both teams really played almost a perfect football game.

Why is it wrong to question Cam’s intellect or work ethic? I don’t get the “Yikes” comment.

Has he practiced as hard in his eighth year as he did in his first year?

Does he dive on balls he fumbled & fight for them?

I’m pulling for Cam’s success but I’m also hoping that Stidham works out. The thing I care about most is what Belichick thinks and believes because we don’t get to make these judgements

The Yikes comment comes because there is no way in hell anyone would question a former MVP, three times pro bowler, former ROY, heisman trophy winner, number one pick’s “intellect” and “work ethic” if he were white. That’s the hard truth. If that makes you uncomfortable, you have some soul searching to do.

I can’t imagine anyone questioning Carson Wentz’s work ethic or intellect in year ten. Don’t be obtuse.

The Yikes comment comes because there is no way in hell anyone would question a former MVP, three times pro bowler, former ROY, heisman trophy winner, number one pick’s “intellect” and “work ethic” if he were white. That’s the hard truth. If that makes you uncomfortable, you have some soul searching to do.

I can’t imagine anyone questioning Carson Wentz’s work ethic or intellect in year ten. Don’t be obtuse.
I’ve questioned many quarterbacks work ethic and intelligence over the course of following the game over 50 years. Everything is fair game with any quarterback.

I questioned Brady’s work ethic last year. What’s the big deal?

Welcome to the board!

Regarding Cam, all we can ask for is that our starting QB gives us a good chance to win every game; when healthy, Newton is that guy.

Brady led the patriots to a 12-4 record and the #3 scoring offense in the nfl in 2013. He didn’t suck at all. Did you watch him play?
Again you are mixed up. Stats SUPPORT an argument they don’t MAKE an argument.
The stats I showed in newton support the argument that I have been making for weeks.
If he plays as a dual threat QB he can be effective but if he can’t or won’t run, AS PEOPLE HAVE SUGGESTED TO START THIS CONVERSATION , and is solely a pocket passer he will struggle. People argued that so to BACK UP MY ANALYSIS I showed the numbers.
Perhaps if you tried to follow along instead of jumping in the middle trying to be a tough guy, you would have understood that, not made such a ridiculous statement and wasted my time.

So we are not going to address his numbers that were “below par” by his standards. Now it’s win/loss and numbers don’t matter. That’s exactly why you WATCH players and don’t just throw up stats without context. Or excuses as you call it.

Even Cam had a higher QBR AND Comp%. And went 12-4. How is that possible from a guy who can’t throw from the pocket. Something you haven’t come close to proving.

I’ve watched Brady since Michigan and Young since BYU. I don’t need numbers to form an evaluation. And I sure don’t need to “cherry-pick” what fits my narrative and call reality an excuse. Good luck with that.

As a Pats fan I am rooting hard for Cam to be successful but the reality is that the Panthers have been decidedly middle of the pack offensively during his tenure outside of 2015 and his rookie year. A QB's main job is to help his team score points and Pats fans are used to being in the top tier of scoring teams year after year (top 10 for 16 straight years with 10 of those in the top 4) We all understand that there are other factors beyond the QB when it comes to leading an offense but the best ones are able to overcome some of the weaknesses and get in the end zone. I am hopeful that Cam can help lead the Pats to 400 points and another division title. I think he'll need to be able to both run and pass effectively to do that.

I think there are many of us who weren't Cam fans but wish the man the best now that he's a Patriot. I'm still not sure that he wasn't brought in to light a fire under Stid the kid.

The poster I responded to is NOT a Pats fan. He’s a troll from Carolina boards.

And I don’t blame anyone for being skeptical. It’s the situation I wanted for him. But nothing is guaranteed. And as an AU alum, I wouldn’t trust Stidham is ready. I actually thought y’all were tanking if he started.

I think you mean 2019 but injuries are injuries and there aren’t a heck of a lot of guys missing that will be magically back.
The 2020 version isn’t dramatically different than the 2019 version which had the best defense in the nfl.

Thank you. You are correct about the year - 2019.

I'd argue they are dramatically different on the offensive line and certainly at blocking back - Danny Vitale is the real thing and an excellent replacement for James Develin. I also feel that the WR position will be better without the chaos of 2019, and a camp with Sanu, the 2nd-year receivers, and Marquise Lee. QB looks a bit different, too.

The edefense looks solid to me at all three levels and I like how they brought in players to address the FA defections.

Why is it wrong to question Cam’s intellect or work ethic?

12/6/2015 (week 13)
Against the Saints in the 3rd quarter Cam had a clear path to the end zone but rather than go 100% (work ethic) through the end of the play he decided (intellect) to coast in and it cost him -- Michael Mauti caught up and smoked Cam at the 1-yard line.

Cam went to the locker-room under the guise of a "bathroom break" and purportedly was put through the concussion protocol while in the locker-room. He did return to the game and didn't miss any time the rest of the year but there were a lot of questions about whether the Panthers had really executed the protocol as it was designed and even the referee was on high alert the rest of that game.

After the game Cam said: "I deserved to get hit like that, taking my foot off the gas. The guy just came out of nowhere it felt like. But that won't happen again"...and..."Playing this game, you have to finish," Newton said at the time. “That's what Coach harps on each and every day, and I didn't do that right there."

[Heck we all make mistakes and hopefully learn and don't repeat.]

10/2/2016 (week 4)
At the Falcons, does the exact same thing. Early in the 4th quarter on a 2-pt conversion he had a clear path and again made the decision (intellect) to slow down (work ethic) and again got caught & rocked, this time by Deion Jones and it resulted in a concussion which cost him the rest of that game and all of the next game.

In this instance Cam already had a taunting penalty in the game and one reporter described it this way: "The slowdown looked an awful lot like Newton trying to taunt somebody again — despite being down by 18."

Perhaps these instances were simply a result of Cam not being coached hard enough...

...we shall see!

upload_2020-7-27_14-44-38.png

upload_2020-7-27_14-45-5.png

upload_2020-7-27_14-45-31.png

Last edited:
  • Ha Ha
Reactions: PP2
12/6/2015 (week 13)
Against the Saints in the 3rd quarter Cam had a clear path to the end zone but rather than go 100% (work ethic) through the end of the play he decided (intellect) to coast in and it cost him -- Michael Mauti caught up and smoked Cam at the 1-yard line.

Cam went to the locker-room under the guise of a "bathroom break" and purportedly was put through the concussion protocol while in the locker-room. He did return to the game and didn't miss any time the rest of the year but there were a lot of questions about whether the Panthers had really executed the protocol as it was designed and even the referee was on high alert the rest of that game.

After the game Cam said: "I deserved to get hit like that, taking my foot off the gas. The guy just came out of nowhere it felt like. But that won't happen again"...and..."Playing this game, you have to finish," Newton said at the time. “That's what Coach harps on each and every day, and I didn't do that right there."

[Heck we all make mistakes and hopefully learn and don't repeat.]

10/2/2016 (week 4)
At the Falcons, does the exact same thing. Early in the 4th quarter on a 2-pt conversion he had a clear path and again made the decision (intellect) to slow down (work ethic) and again got caught & rocked, this time by Deion Jones and it resulted in a concussion which cost him the rest of that game and all of the next game.

In this instance Cam already had a taunting penalty in the game and one reporter described it this way: "The slowdown looked an awful lot like Newton trying to taunt somebody again — despite being down by 18."

Perhaps these instances were simply a result of Cam not being coached hard enough...

...we shall see!

View attachment 27920

View attachment 27921

View attachment 27922

Yea he should know BB won't have any tolerance for any of those examples.

Cherry picking two or three boneheaded moments from a ten year career filled with accolades to prove you aren’t at best casually perpetuating the stereotypes of black quarterbacks.

For every “Cam pulled up before going into the end zone!” there are dozens and dozens of plays where Cam went above and beyond. And not one former teammate or coach has ever questioned his intellect or work ethic. Ever.

Last edited:
I'm burning to find out - Yannie or Laurel?

Well, he did say ask ANYTHING right? :D

So we are not going to address his numbers that were “below par” by his standards. Now it’s win/loss and numbers don’t matter. That’s exactly why you WATCH players and don’t just throw up stats without context. Or excuses as you call it.
Win/loss and point scored are the real gauges.

Even Cam had a higher QBR AND Comp%. And went 12-4. How is that possible from a guy who can’t throw from the pocket. Something you haven’t come close to proving.
Because if you watch him play you can clearly see that throwing from the pocket is not his strength. I mean it’s silly to even try to argue that.

I’ve watched Brady since Michigan and Young since BYU. I don’t need numbers to form an evaluation. And I sure don’t need to “cherry-pick” what fits my narrative and call reality an excuse. Good luck with that.
I didn’t cherry pick anything. I used Newton’s entire career and then to increase the number of comparables, and eliminate and bias of starting as a young player figuring it out, I used his mvp year forward.
I look at how a player plays and what they accomplish. Yes, when your only argument is he must have had bad coaching and bad teammates you are making excuses, especially when I am comparing his production to ALL of his peers.
I get that you like newton and are trying to shine a good light on him, but pretending his weakness is his strength just doesn’t really allow me to take you seriously.

I could make a very strong, positive, optimistic argument for newton but it would be by pretending his weaknesses add his strengths

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes