PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's Pay Andrews

I see little reason why Andrews shouldn't be looking at top money at his position (potentially adjusting for the decrease in cap space leaguewide). Take Nate Solder as an example. He hovered around "solid starter" quality throughout his time here, but still got a record setting deal on the open market. NFL GMs are idiots and have demonstrated that they'll compete with one another to pay solid starters like superstars.

I would argue that Andrews has been better at center than Solder ever was at left tackle. That's balanced out by the blood clot concerns, but in the end I think Andrews will be as highly coveted at his position as Solder was.

If Andrews signs for a relative bargain here or elsewhere, it will probably be because he cares about something more than he cares about money.
We have an entirely different opinion of those 2 players.

Never said we'd be the ones to pay the $10M. Can you honestly look at the FA contracts given out in the past few years and not say "wow, I have no idea why any team would pay that much, but they did anyway"? Someone will do that for Andrews. They always do.
Couple of things have changed, though.

1. There's a LOT less money out there in FA this year.

2. Many more quality players are being cut or not re-signing with their current team (CAP strapped).

3. Teams have been forced to spend closer to the CAP in recent years - they literally HAD to spend bigger $$$ in some cases - and now with the CAP dropping by 7-10% instead of increasing (which is what a lot of those contracts depended upon), top dollar probably will only apply to a couple of people at any given position.

Look at the guys already released. Aside from a very few franchises, it'll be brutal.

Or someone else. Onwenu is better as a G
How many left guards in the league are bigger than Onwenu. We could start a new trend.

By the way, can Mason play LG as well as Onwenu?

How many left guards in the league are bigger than Onwenu. We could start a new trend.
I don’t care about trends I care about getting the most out of our players.

Yeah let’s tie up all our money to a guy who hikes the ball ....lol
If your understanding of a Center is that all they do is “ snap the ball” then you need to be held back a few years and start all over in football 101.

my preference is andrews under 10m and let thuney go, but if andrews wants 10+ id rather keep thuney at 15
Let the guy who is the BEST Interior O-line this team has had since Hannah go in favor of a guy who is an adequate center. Don't get me wrong. Andrews is intelligent and can pull well, but He can't hold up against the big Interior D-linemen. He also has had big issues picking up stunts and late blitzes.

Let the guy who is the BEST Interior O-line this team has had since Hannah go in favor of a guy who is an adequate center. Don't get me wrong. Andrews is intelligent and can pull well, but He can't hold up against the big Interior D-linemen. He also has had big issues picking up stunts and late blitzes.
Do you think Bill will pay 8% of the cap to a G?

By the way, can Mason play LG as well as Onwenu?
They tried Mason at LG in 2015, and he kinda sucked.

Bill will be repeating the same mistake if he sends Onwenu to LG in 2021.

Last edited:

I agree that Thuney is an even superior player to Mankins because he can play all the positions in addition to being a AP guard.

To me the real question is not if we can pay Thuney but whether it is a good allocation of resources to pay both Thuney and Mason. And now with Cannon returning his 9M cap charge also plays into that question. In other words it is the overall allocation of cap space to the OL. Some bozos will look at individual cap charge to players which is entirely irrelevant outside QB and some ST positions. It is mostly about units.

Right now that allocation is about 27M without Thuney (and Andrews) and will be 19M next year (Wynn). The average is about 31M but keep in mind that there is a decision coming up soon in terms of Wynn which won't be too cheap as well.

All that money talk set aside all I can say I love Thuney and wish they'd find a way to keep him for a lot longer. Maybe even at the cost of Mason.

I agree that Thuney is an even superior player to Mankins because he can play all the positions in addition to being a AP guard.

To me the real question is not if we can pay Thuney but whether it is a good allocation of resources to pay both Thuney and Mason. And now with Cannon returning his 9M cap charge also plays into that question. In other words it is the overall allocation of cap space to the OL. Some bozos will look at individual cap charge to players which is entirely irrelevant outside QB and some ST positions. It is mostly about units.

Right now that allocation is about 27M without Thuney (and Andrews) and will be 19M next year (Wynn). The average is about 31M but keep in mind that there is a decision coming up soon in terms of Wynn which won't be too cheap as well.

All that money talk set aside all I can say I love Thuney and wish they'd find a way to keep him for a lot longer. Maybe even at the cost of Mason.
Mankins was the better guard.
Mankins could, and did, play some left tackle, as needed.
Belichick, unless you think he was lying, made his position on such a thing abundantly clear:

“There’s no question he could have played left tackle in this league. I don’t think there was ever a thought, from the coaching staff or myself, that he couldn’t play left tackle,” Belichick said, also pointing out that Mankins played left tackle at Fresno State. “That wasn’t it. It was more we have a good left tackle and [Mankins] can play guard.”

Mankins might be called upon again at LT

In fact, BB was confident that Mankins could also play center, again unless you think he was lying:

“I’m sure [Logan] Mankins could play anywhere on the line,” Belichick said.

Why New England Patriots Logan Mankins can play all five positions

Mankins was a left tackle at Fresno State, and Bill Belichick said he has no doubt that Mankins could have played the position in the NFL and played it well. But when he was drafted 32d overall in 2005, the Patriots had Matt Light at left tackle and were pleased with his play.

Belichick asserted that Mankins could play any of the five positions on offensive line (and Mankins said Wednesday that he has been the team’s backup center in injury situations), unlike other players.

“I think there are guys that can do it and then there’s the level that it can be done at,” Belichick said. “That’s another question.”

Logan Mankins can do it all on Patriots’ offensive line - The Boston Globe

Can't agree more. If the cost is anywhere close between the two, we have to keep Thuney. Andrews is a pretty good player, but Thuney is a stud...pair him with Owenu and Mason and I would go on a limb and say it's the best interior line in the league. Harris and Sony would be running crazy with that interior.

All depends on the money. If andrews is agreeable to a fraction of what thuney wants it might be best. But as i said if its a situation of andrews at 10 or thuney at 15 im also taking thuney.

thuneys market is a bit unpredictable right now, at least to me. He deserves to get paid but he is a guard and the cap is down. So you never know he may come cheaper than thought.

Mostly about units, outside QB (a unit of 1) and some ST positions (let me guess, K a unit of 1).

But isn't the OL unit made up of individual players with individual cap charges? You go on to use as an example individual players that may tip the "OL unit allocation."

This post isn't very insightful. In fact, you sound like one of the bozos you referred to.

Your post makes sense, if BB can tell the OL unit: "this is the $$ allocated to the OL, make it work amongst yourselves." LMAO

They should definitely make a fair offer for Andrews but if some team, like the Phins, wants to jump the shark and offer him 9+ million per year with a strong guarantee? Pass. Something in the 13-15 range in terms of average salary at his position seems about right to me.

Here are the top Center salaries in 2020:

38E726D4-5320-4860-812A-DC38EB0189F6.jpeg

Can't agree more. If the cost is anywhere close between the two, we have to keep Thuney. Andrews is a pretty good player, but Thuney is a stud...pair him with Owenu and Mason and I would go on a limb and say it's the best interior line in the league. Harris and Sony would be running crazy with that interior.
We will have the top IOL in the league by playing not one, but two, players out of position???

Unless BB wants to play ball, Thuney is not coming back. In fact, if Bill wanted to re-sign him, a deal would've been done last off season where he would've been cheaper. I can't imagine Bill now paying Thuney, especially after what Scherff will get on the open market.

It's unfortunate the rare hits Bill has had recently will be walking out the door.

They should definitely make a fair offer for Andrews but if some team, like the Phins, wants to jump the shark and offer him 9+ million per year with a strong guarantee? Pass. Something in the 13-15 range in terms of average salary at his position seems about right to me.

Here are the top Center salaries in 2020:

View attachment 30799
With the Pouncey's retiring there'll be more demand. Some Bucs fans complained about Jensen's $10M but he's under contract and isn't going anywhere.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back