PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's Pay Andrews

Didn’t bb find Andrews as an UDFA and didn’t Andrews start from day 1?

who says he couldn’t do it again?
Sure, Bill could get lucky again.
And Bill should clearly draft a QB in the 6th round.

Knowing that these issues can be solved with an UDFA and 6th rounder, our cap money should give us a good chance to upgrade.

Pay Andrews and let Thuney walk. Andrews will be cheaper and is a team leader which will be desperately needed when Slater and Devin are gone in a year or so.

Depends how much he wants. I don’t think it’s smart roster building to tie that much $ up on the interior offensive line.

We have no center. We have no backup center.

If Andrews leaves, he leaves a much bigger hole to fill than does Thuney. To be clear, I'm fine with signing both.
Sure, if you can convince Bill to give Andrews 3-yrs @ $21M and Thuney 5-yrs @ $76M have at it. Some fool out there will.

These guys are in the center of what the offense does and know exactly what the Pats have and don't have. They have no incentive to stay at a home town discount. For what?

I'd be furious if they spend a 1st rounder on a T or especially the dreaded DB. They need a QB or a bona fide play making front 7 player.
We may NEED a QB, but if its Mac Jones or a franchise LT like Sewell....I might do Sewell.

I'd be furious if they spend a 1st rounder on a T or especially the dreaded DB. They need a QB or a bona fide play making front 7 player.

Agree. Front7 defense or QB. NO to a CB and no to a WR or RB. I don't trust this staff on early picks unless it's front7 defense or in this unique case a QB we like.

Thuney is the better player but will cost more money. Andrews is a great leader/locker room guy and a pretty good player.

I love the idea of our interior line being Owenu-Thuney-Mason, that would be sick!! I can understand though if we decide to go with Andrews and use the extra money on getting a front 7 player or wr.
You could have a 2000 yard season behind that interior line.

Since i think thuney might cost twice as andrews i just for example would rather sign andrews for 7 Million and curtis Samuel than thuney for the amount. I am confident they can find a LG or RT starter through draft and as much as I would like thuney back even maybe at C, i'd rather use the saved money for WR/NT/DE

****erson is a banana. He is always hurt. Look at his career at Florida state.

the best center in this draft is the kid from Ohio state.

however, there are some really good run blockers with size we can draft on day 3.
That's fine. We all have our opinions. If Pats draft the kid from Ohio State it's okay with me. I just want a stronger Center. Our O Line needs to be a big strength so our run game stays very strong.

Where is this "Andrews will cost $7M/year" coming from? I'm expecting more like 10.

Where is this "Andrews will cost $7M/year" coming from? I'm expecting more like 10.
Spotrac. I have no clue how accurate they are but they do an analysis based on comparable players. The truth is his value will be based on whatever someone is willing to pay.

20210225_103206.jpg

With the cap being what it is, and so many teams tight against that cap (or over it), I would not anticipate anyone breaking the bank for a center. Also, Andrews projects to be at best the #2 option on the market behind Corey Linsley. I'd best the cost to resign will be in the low end of the 7 - 10 range,

I like Andrews but I’d rather pay Thuney than give Andrews 10m. Unless it’s like 20m or something crazy. Otherwise I’d let Andrews test the market and hopefully give us a chance to match. It’s just hard for me to picture a team throwing that much at him given most cap situations right now. Tampa maybe.

Andrews looks like someone who will either sign a team friendly deal before FA opens up or they let him test the market to see whats out there and ask him to bring the best offer back.

Andrews looks like someone who will either sign a team friendly deal before FA opens up or they let him test the market to see whats out there and ask him to bring the best offer back.
That's what the last 3 days of this season are for.

It is extremely dangerous for the pats to pass on him in the hopes that they can save money when Andrews gets an offer elsewhere. After all, a team might present a situation and salary that's just fine with him and hisfamily.

Basically, you propose a situation where the team "final offer" is x and Andrews is at x + say $4M AAV. instead of just coming to a deal a say +$1.5m to + $2.5M, the team tries to save a million and risks taking a center from the scrubs if Andrew signs elsewhere.

Last edited:
Sure, if you can convince Bill to give Andrews 3-yrs @ $21M and Thuney 5-yrs @ $76M have at it. Some fool out there will.

These guys are in the center of what the offense does and know exactly what the Pats have and don't have. They have no incentive to stay at a home town discount. For what?
Please clarify.

Are you saying that Andrews isn't worth $7M AAV to the patriots?

Are you saying that Thuney isn't worth $15.2M AAV to the patriots?

Of course this depends on guarantees and other contract structure.

I like Andrews but I’d rather pay Thuney than give Andrews 10m. Unless it’s like 20m or something crazy. Otherwise I’d let Andrews test the market and hopefully give us a chance to match. It’s just hard for me to picture a team throwing that much at him given most cap situations right now. Tampa maybe.
So, your plan is to pay $15M to play center? Make no mistake. If we sign Thuney to $15M and refuse to pay Andrews half of that, Andrews will understand his worth to the patriots, and how well he is thought of by management. He will likely find a better situation.

It is extremely dangerous for the pats to pass on him in the hopes that they can save money when Andrews gets an offer elsewhere. After all, a team might present a situation and salary that's just fine with him and hisfamily.

This is not about saving money but their usual modus operandi where they don't want to insult players/agents with a low ball offer and just let the market tell them whats out there. If its way beyond their internal eval he will move on, if its within the range they will give a counter offer.

Let others figure out the value and then decide.

Keep in mind how they kept their cool with HT visiting the Jets on cupcake day or DMac almost being gone to the Eagles.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back