PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's Discuss Potential New Targets After First Day of Free Agency

Snooky97

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So after today what should we look at now for our needs...

I'm Looking more to D line and Possible linebackers but after today i have no idea what our needs may be.

If we sign Hightower to a long term contract i am more than happy to give him 12m a year, he's worth it. Not sure what our cap will be like though. Then theres the whole Jimmy G thing, and if we trade him and get picks well i have no idea what we should do. Today has been absolutely mad.

Need a little more time to reassess. Trading Butler for Cooks may eliminate WR. Eeping Butler eliminates CB. Hightower leaving pushes up LB.

Branch returning takes DT consideration in the first 3 rounds out imo. But that's about all we can glean from today so far. Imo.

If we do sign/keep Butler, I still want a CB, cause this draft is almost just too staked not to take one. Rowe and Gillmore will probably play outside and Butler would move around inside. With Rowe only having 1 year left under contract, it leaves me stuck with weather id want a smaller slot corner like Jordan Lewis (pinky), who could replace/support butler in the slot in 2018, or a bigger corner to replace rowe.

If we do sign/keep Butler, I still want a CB, cause this draft is almost just too staked not to take one. Rowe and Gillmore will probably play outside and Butler would move around inside. With Rowe only having 1 year left under contract, it leaves me stuck with weather id want a smaller slot corner like Jordan Lewis (pinky), who could replace/support butler in the slot in 2018, or a bigger corner to replace rowe.

With Cyrus Jones profiling as a slot corner, I doubt they give up on him after one year.

With 3 ready to play now, in addition to last years 2, it's really not the best allocation of resources(draft picks). We still have needs at OT, DE, and LB. Probably RB, maybe even WR.

If Butler is just kept on his tender, I could see the potential for drafting one, but don't think it becomes a big need. Maybe in the 3rd.

Hopefully we bring Hightower back. At 32 im hoping for Haasan Reddick. If we trade for 12 im hoping for Taco Charlton. If we bring back Hightower, all we really need on defense are Edge Rushers, and maybe a Linebacker. Offensively we only really need a big running back, and a developmental tackle, QB, and receiver.

Not a whole lot of real needs. Honestly except for edge rushers I just think we take the best guy available pretty much regardless of position.

What would you guys think about bringing in Eddie Lacy on a 1 year minimal risk deal?

WR FA targets: Michael Floyd, Kamar Aiken, Kendall Wright, Quinton Patton, Terrell Pryor (price might be too high on the last one)

LB: I really hope Hightower resigns. Zach Brown, DeAndre Levy, and the rest of the list doesn't inspire much confidence.

DE: Peppers, Dumervil, Datone Jones, Connor Barwin, Jared Odrik.

If Hightower leaves town, LB immediately becomes our top need.

I wouldn't rule out McCaffrey now (particularly if Hightower is re-signed and they get the no 12 pick).

Looking at next years free agents as things stand

LT - Solder re-signed? Don't see many opportunities in this draft aside from maybe Bolles/Garcia
OT - Both Waddle and Fleming are FAs.
WR - Looks like BB might have that covered
RB - Do they re-sign both Lewis/White
LB - Van Noy is a free agent

I didn't include Butler because a) we don't know what's happening to him right now and it's hard to include an outside CB on this roster that sticks as things currently stand. But outside CB moves up if Butler is traded.

What would you guys think about bringing in Eddie Lacy on a 1 year minimal risk deal?

WR FA targets: Michael Floyd, Kamar Aiken, Kendall Wright, Quinton Patton, Terrell Pryor (price might be too high on the last one)

LB: I really hope Hightower resigns. Zach Brown, DeAndre Levy, and the rest of the list doesn't inspire much confidence.

DE: Peppers, Dumervil, Datone Jones, Connor Barwin, Jared Odrik.

If Hightower leaves town, LB immediately becomes our top need.

I would love to bring in Lacy, wouldnt mind a 2 or 3 year deal either.

Receiver I think we just need a developmental one in the draft but the Pats seem to think otherwise since being connected to all these big names.

LB im hoping we resign Hightower. Hoping for Haasan Reddick in the draft, wouldnt mind Zach Brown in FA.

DE: Hoping we draft a couple, but for free agents I wouldnt mind Ware or Barwin.

As for this year

Coverage linebacker
EDGE x 2
NB maybe
SS maybe

It seems to me that BB tries to have all roles covered with at least somebody "serviceable" before the draft.

Potentially unfilled openings probably include:

-- "Lead" RB - no idea who, but probably not AP. Possibly Blount yet, though.
-- Edge player - Barwin, Datone Jones are possibilities, even if Sheard re-signs.
-- LB (with both HT and Freeny uncertain and Van Noy going into his contract year)
-- Possibly a backup slot receiver, depending on what happens with Amendola and Cooks (probably a vet WR or two for Camp, regardless).

LB and Edge might happen fairly soon. RB and WR might not happen until the first wave of FA is done.

I wouldn't rule out McCaffrey now (particularly if Hightower is re-signed and they get the no 12 pick).

Looking at next years free agents as things stand

LT - Solder re-signed? Don't see many opportunities in this draft aside from maybe Bolles/Garcia
OT - Both Waddle and Fleming are FAs.
WR - Looks like BB might have that covered
RB - Do they re-sign both Lewis/White
LB - Van Noy is a free agent

I didn't include Butler because a) we don't know what's happening to him right now and it's hard to include an outside CB on this roster that sticks as things currently stand. But outside CB moves up if Butler is traded.

Just don't see the logic in McCaffrey. Love him as a player (definitely not at 12, though). He's a Patriot type of player. But, he's a 200lb RB. We already have White and Lewis to do what he does, and they don't cost 1) a first round pick and 2) the contract of a first round pick. Do not sleep on DJ Foster either. Tjere is a reason he stuck all last year despite the presence of White and Lewis. Both will not be re-signed next off season. Maybe neither, depending on contract demands.

What we need out of the RB spit is someone for short yardage and interior running. While I think McCaffrey can handle 18-20 touches a game in the league, he's not going to move the pile. We'd still lack a bruiser, but would now have 4 slasher/change of pace. Just not a good use of resources $ wise or draft pick wise.

If we get 12, IMO, it's Foster (can take on much of what Collins did, but with better discipline and instincts). He can play alongside Hightower or be his replacement (when he inevitably misses time). Charlton (brings that length we lost on the edge when Jones departed). Barnett. Another edge. Well rounded and ready to play now. Wild cards would be John Ross or a corner. I could also see Bill trading down for an extra pick in '18. I'd say, in order, Charlton, Barnett, Foster as most likely.

Just don't see the logic in McCaffrey. Love him as a player (definitely not at 12, though). He's a Patriot type of player. But, he's a 200lb RB. We already have White and Lewis to do what he does, and they don't cost 1) a first round pick and 2) the contract of a first round pick. Do not sleep on DJ Foster either. Tjere is a reason he stuck all last year despite the presence of White and Lewis. Both will not be re-signed next off season. Maybe neither, depending on contract demands.

What we need out of the RB spit is someone for short yardage and interior running. While I think McCaffrey can handle 18-20 touches a game in the league, he's not going to move the pile. We'd still lack a bruiser, but would now have 4 slasher/change of pace. Just not a good use of resources $ wise or draft pick wise.

If we get 12, IMO, it's Foster (can take on much of what Collins did, but with better discipline and instincts). He can play alongside Hightower or be his replacement (when he inevitably misses time). Charlton (brings that length we lost on the edge when Jones departed). Barnett. Another edge. Well rounded and ready to play now. Wild cards would be John Ross or a corner. I could also see Bill trading down for an extra pick in '18. I'd say, in order, Charlton, Barnett, Foster as most likely.

Good call about the RB situation. I especially agree about DJ Foster. In terms of production, size, athleticism and ball security, Foster is kind of "McCaffrey Lite".

CB/WR - Depends on Butler/Cooks. It will pretty much take one of those off the board.
LB - Yes. Even if they sign Hightower but especially if not.
DE - YES! Going to be a potential double dip spot.
SS - No. But if they want to move Chung after this year maybe.
RB - Yes. I don't think Blount is the answer anymore.
IOL - Maybe. Depends if they wanna keep Andrews as the starter/
OT - Maybe. Depends how they feel about Solder for the next few years.
QB - Yes. But I am not taking a single QB in this draft.
TE - No. But if they are thinking of moving on from Gronk next year it is possible.

Last edited:
After day one, we still need the following:

Speedy wr
Linebacker
Two defensive ends
Big Running back
Defensive tackle

All possibilities but a) don't be surprised if McCaffrey goes that high and b) there aren't many with the refined skillset that McCaffrey has. And trust me, I don't need to be told about DJ Foster, he's been 'my guy' for nearly three years (but isn't as good as McCaffrey) and Lewis and White are both out of contract at the end of the year and Lewis is oft-injured. McCaffrey has the receiving skills to be a WR, is an excellent RB and a very good returner. I can see the arguments for it not happening, I'm just saying don't be surprised. Few prospects in recent years have had that Patriot vibe as much as McCaffrey.

Last edited:
Just got Kony Ealy. Still need another DE but this is nice.

Just got Kony Ealy. Still need another DE but this is nice.

When I look at his college plays, he reminds me most of DeMarcus Walker, but nowhere near as refined or powerful coming out of college. FWIW.

Assuming the Pats sign Hightower they are in good position in this draft.

They still need LB and DE help but it is not vital and small signings with vets can patch those holes if need be. TE could be interesting but you have your #1 and #2 for this year. I don't think WR is a huge need THIS year but an option. RB is a spot you can upgrade a lot but I don't think it is overly valuable. If Butler stays for this year you can stand pat on CB if you choose easily and worry about it next year but a CB be nice of course.

Pats are setting themselves up nicely to have several options to go but not must pick first spot.

If they don't sign Hightower or a decent starting vet then that jumps up to #1 by a ton.

The deepest positions ranked in this draft

TE
Corner
Edge
Safety
Rb

The Pats moves so far in FA

TE- Allen
Corner- Gilmore
Edge- Ealy
Safety- Harmon
Rb?

Pretty impressive that moves I was intending to be able to fix in the draft are now more luxury. The draft is now wide open

The deepest positions ranked in this draft

TE
Corner
Edge
Safety
Rb

The Pats moves so far in FA

TE- Allen
Corner- Gilmore
Edge- Ealy
Safety- Harmon
Rb?

Pretty impressive that moves I was intending to be able to fix in the draft are now more luxury. The draft is now wide open

I think we may look at best player and where he would fit.. but i have no idea now..

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back