PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Let's Discuss Potential New Targets After First Day of Free Agency

Bb got a dt today in guy. My guess is he signs Hightower, a pass rusher, coverage lb and a rb before the draft.

Then takes the best players on his board during the draft to provide depth and camp competition.

Bb got a dt today in guy. My guess is he signs Hightower, a pass rusher, coverage lb and a rb before the draft.

Then takes the best players on his board during the draft to provide depth and camp competition.

Yeah, it seems like BB's been trying to find a coverage LB who's a good scheme fit for awhile now. I'm not sure what FAs would even be candidates this time around. Maybe the kid from Maine, Trevor Bates, who was on the PS in 2016. He put up a 4.25 shuttle and 6.75 3-cone at his pro day, and had 7 PDs and 3 picks as a junior? He's 6010/245, so decent size.

FA RB is going to be interesting. The Pats' scheme doesn't appear to demand much from the "lead" RB. They've averaged only 15 carries for 60 yards per game over the past 8 seasons, even though the rushing attack overall has averaged around 10th in the league in attempts and yards, and is typically in the top 5 in rushing TDs.

So, does BB commit to a younger vet like Lacy or Latavius Murray for 2-3 years at $2M+ APY? (and they may want even more than that) Or does he stick with Blount or another older/cheaper guy like Asiata at $1M+ on a one-year deal, and then draft one of the 3-5 "decent" RBs who are likely to be available in rounds 3-5 (who he can have for four years dirt cheap)?

Yeah, it seems like BB's been trying to find a coverage LB who's a good scheme fit for awhile now. I'm not sure what FAs would even be candidates this time around. Maybe the kid from Maine, Trevor Bates, who was on the PS in 2016. He put up a 4.25 shuttle and 6.75 3-cone at his pro day, and had 7 PDs and 3 picks as a junior? He's 6010/245, so decent size.

FA RB is going to be interesting. The Pats' scheme doesn't appear to demand much from the "lead" RB. They've averaged only 15 carries for 60 yards per game over the past 8 seasons, even though the rushing attack overall has averaged around 10th in the league in attempts and yards, and is typically in the top 5 in rushing TDs.

So, does BB commit to a younger vet like Lacy or Latavius Murray for 2-3 years at $2M+ APY? (and they may want even more than that) Or does he stick with Blount or another older/cheaper guy like Asiata at $1M+ on a one-year deal, and then draft one of the 3-5 "decent" RBs who are likely to be available in rounds 3-5 (who he can have for four years dirt cheap)?

I think it will be Blount v Gaffney v a rookie in camp. As you said, this team doesn't really need much more than that.

I think it will be Blount v Gaffney v a rookie in camp. As you said, this team doesn't really need much more than that.

I think your right that the team doesnt need more than that right now but i have the feeling that BB is setting the team up in a way to really put opposing defenses backs against the wall and to always keep them guessing. I wouldnt be surprised at all if he looks for a back that with a little more talent than Blount or Gaffney to really balance out the offense especially with the talent that can be found in this draft.

Pats could very well go RB first if it makes sense. Clearly that is a spot that could use a big upgrade and I don't see a great FA fit for them. I don't really value RB but you need something and I think we all overrated Blount a bit last year particularly near the end of the year when IMO he clearly wore down.

Still the main needs are DE and LB. I just don't think this offense will need much help at this point. You already invest your first round pick in that and with your next highest picks it would make sense to address the D.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back