Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Spurs

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Lakers

Votes: 67 59.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters
I know how exhausted and empty I got when my work took me away from home a lot for a couple of years, and how relieved and happy I was when my client base moved within driving distance of home. I made it an objective to never again have any status in any airline frequent flyer program, and managed to maintain that until the kids were off to college. It meant giving up some things professionally, but I've never regretted the trade off.

There's an assumption in a lot of these posts that James highly values winning more championships at this point, to the same degree that he has in the past. I wonder how true that is. He's only got a few years left, and may value spending time with his young family more than is being credited here. LA is where his family has been in the off season (or so I read) and now he's got an entirely different lifestyle, being able to sleep in his own bed 80% of the time for the next few years.

Would you blame Brady for doing that if JR was drafted by the Browns?
What "JR" are you referring to? I wasn't referring to the player as much as how Cleveland fans must feel being ditched twice by their mega-superstar.

I don’t really want to get drawn into this, and as Deus says you can’t really compare players at different positions, but to say McHale is better than Magic is a tough sell, man. I don’t think you’re gonna get very many people following you into battle on that one.

Kevin McHale doesn’t believe that he’s better than Magic.

I think he was saying that Mchale was the best at his position all-time while Magic was not. They played different positions.

Lakers will have a bunch of room next year. I think Brandon Ingram will be really good, less sure about Ball, who doesn't seem to be able to shoot at all. Kawhi seems inevitable, but who else? Love, Kyrie, Gasol, Klay? Does a starting 5 of Lebron, Ingram, Kawhi, Love, and Lopez challenge the Warriors? I don't see any path to a championship team here, even assuming age doesn't start creeping up on Lebron. Unless they could get Davis or Giannis or someone in a trade.

One year can change a lot, though. Isaiah was the hottest player in the league this time last year.

The way to challenge the warriors is to take away from their roster. LA will go hard after Durant next offseason.

Imagine Brady leaving, coming back and leaving again.

It might be a tad unpleasant even for TB and he is not homegrown, walking out on the hometown faithful twice...(shudder). I thought he was making a mistake in going back to Cle if his intention wasn't to stay and retire as a Cav.

Only good thing abt GSW is watching Faker fans flip out when it really sets in at best their the 3rd best team in the West. At best, even w/ KL (who is my fav player) Surprised most don't understand LJ retired the other day by choosing LA.

I still think we could compete w GSW if healthy & another move is made. Probably wouldn't be throwing a ton on us to win but i think it would be competitive.

Carry on arguing players from 50 years ago are the best ever.

It might be a tad unpleasant even for TB and he is not homegrown, walking out on the hometown faithful twice...(shudder). I thought he was making a mistake in going back to Cle if his intention wasn't to stay and retire as a Cav.
Agreed. Things like this really cheapen the fan experience and pro sports overall, when loyalty and passion become so one-sided.

What "JR" are you referring to? I wasn't referring to the player as much as how Cleveland fans must feel being ditched twice by their mega-superstar.
Tbh most Cleveland fans I’ve talked to are cooler with it this time around. They got their title and realize the org is just wasting Lebron’s time. They aren’t thrilled, but it’s not as bad as Miami where they were praying.

Some comments on the comments (of the last 2 pages)

1. I remember when the common wisdom was that "Paul George was a LOCK to go to the Lakers". So I'd put a bit of a damper on that "hot take" that Leonard to the Lakers is inevitable.

2. Personally, I don't understand all the "Leonard love". Sure you'd love the guy who played in 2016, but we are killing a 20-year-old rookie for missing a practice; Leonard missed an entire year with an injury that most thought would get him back playing by last year's trade deadline. So either he had a VERY serious injury that kept him out all year. OR he quit on his team while taking their money just because he was pissed at him.

Granted he should have every motivation to play well in his "contract year", but how can you ever trust a guy who couldn't play for Greg Popovich, even if its only for a year. It might be something you'd take a flier on, but not for the like of trade compensation they are talking about

3. I think James is going to the Lakers more for family, lifestyle, and business reasons than to "win a title". I don't see it happening. I wouldn't be shocked to see them struggle to even make the playoffs. Can you name 2 other players besides James you'd take on the C's front 8? I can only name one and would be a stretch.

4. Everyone just assumes that players will now just rush to get to the Lakers. If that was the case why is Paul George still in OKC, and Lance Stevenson is their other big name signing.

Granted it is likely they WILL get another big name. The Lakers are a prestige franchise. The weather is nice. James being there is a plus. But more importantly, they have the cap space and someone will always bite when you can wave 35-40MM in front of them.

5. In the end, the Lakers have been TOTALLY irrelevant for the last several years. They MAY get good enough over the next 4 years to make the Playoffs in the west, but I will be SHOCKED if they ever get good enough to ever challenge the Warriors or Houston in the west. They will be more in the Utah, Portland area of "good" One that aspires to 50 wins and a one and done playoff outlook. A team that if they win one round will count that as a successful season.

6. James had a fantastic year and should have been the MVP for carrying that team to the Finals, but James isn't getting any younger, and if he is going to take the Lakers to the Playoffs he's going to have to play a LOT of minutes. I don't understand why no one will consider the fact that there WILL be a slippage in James' play.....and it will happen sooner rather than later.

7. If you are a C's fan, there is a LOT to look forward to this coming season. James going to the Lakers is just one of them

The way to challenge the warriors is to take away from their roster. LA will go hard after Durant next offseason.
I don't think KD and LeBron would be any easier to beat. Probably be better than GSW.

1. I remember when the common wisdom was that "Paul George was a LOCK to go to the Lakers". So I'd put a bit of a damper on that "hot take" that Leonard to the Lakers is inevitable.

2. Personally, I don't understand all the "Leonard love". Sure you'd love the guy who played in 2016, but we are killing a 20-year-old rookie for missing a practice; Leonard missed an entire year with an injury that most thought would get him back playing by last year's trade deadline. So either he had a VERY serious injury that kept him out all year. OR he quit on his team while taking their money just because he was pissed at him.

Granted he should have every motivation to play well in his "contract year", but how can you ever trust a guy who couldn't play for Greg Popovich, even if its only for a year. It might be something you'd take a flier on, but not for the like of trade compensation they are talking about

3. I think James is going to the Lakers more for family, lifestyle, and business reasons than to "win a title". I don't see it happening. I wouldn't be shocked to see them struggle to even make the playoffs. Can you name 2 other players besides James you'd take on the C's front 8? I can only name one and would be a stretch.

4. Everyone just assumes that players will now just rush to get to the Lakers. If that was the case why is Paul George still in OKC, and Lance Stevenson is their other big name signing.

Granted it is likely they WILL get another big name. The Lakers are a prestige franchise. The weather is nice. James being there is a plus. But more importantly, they have the cap space and someone will always bite when you can wave 35-40MM in front of them.

5. In the end, the Lakers have been TOTALLY irrelevant for the last several years. They MAY get good enough over the next 4 years to make the Playoffs in the west, but I will be SHOCKED if they ever get good enough to ever challenge the Warriors or Houston in the west. They will be more in the Utah, Portland area of "good" One that aspires to 50 wins and a one and done playoff outlook. A team that if they win one round will count that as a successful season.

6. James had a fantastic year and should have been the MVP for carrying that team to the Finals, but James isn't getting any younger, and if he is going to take the Lakers to the Playoffs he's going to have to play a LOT of minutes. I don't understand why no one will consider the fact that there WILL be a slippage in James' play.....and it will happen sooner rather than later.

7. If you are a C's fan, there is a LOT to look forward to this coming season. James going to the Lakers is just one of them

Lakers are gonna have to trade for leonard plain and simple. They will have to include Ingram and kuzma in the deal. Wait another year and you will be wasting a precious year from Lebroni. Lakers are acting like Lebroni’s 27 years old.

If Durant declines his PO. Klay's a UFA and they could go after him too. But yeah, I mean, watching Durant and Lebron on the same team would be absurd.

Lakers are gonna have to trade for leonard plain and simple. They will have to include Ingram and kuzma in the deal. Wait another year and you will be wasting a precious year from Lebroni. Lakers are acting like Lebroni’s 27 years old.

Plain and simply the can't unless SAT is willing to take the contract of Deng back with 2 years to go. LA has already loaded up with several 1 year deals so they can make moves next year. If they thought they could get Leonard now they most likely would not have done those 1 year deals now.

James is in LA as much for future business endeavors as he is for basketball reasons, or he wouldn't be there.

...you have guys like Bo, Brown, Barry Sanders or Michael Jordan who were freaks in their time. They wouldn't have their physical advantage to rely on today. The things that made them look like a man among boys would be canceled out by how many opportunities are afforded to athletically-gifted kids today.

Those physical freaks would also have many opportunities afforded to THEM to be EVEN MORE athletically freaky relative to their peers. Guys like MJ were freakish because of an incredible work ethic. If in their prime today, their workouts would be better and IMO they would stand out equally from their peers today as they would have back then.

Again after Russell and Bird who on the Celtics would you put over Lebron (SF) Magic (PG), West (PG/SG), Wilt (C), Kareem (C), Shaq (C) Kobe (SG), ? Yeah they are stacked at center with two top 5 player of all time and another top 10 or 15. It’s just too bad the 3 other positions feature the best player of the 2010’s (Lebron), the best of the 2000’s (Kobe) and one of the top two players of the 80’s (Magic). Magic, Kobe, Lebron, Kareem, and Wilt are 5 players they have in the top 10 all time. Also they were all better than the 4 players you mentioned.

Also that’s a straw man I think Brady is better than both and have argued as such plenty of times. Some of you need to stop throwing tantrums over people not propping up every Boston athlete over everyone.

I think you overestimate the players you have seen. I would put Garnett, Cowans and McHale with above West & Kobe. Shaq and Kareem are aren''t power forwards. Bill Walton and Parrish are certainly comparable to Wilt, Shaw and Kareem with Walton better than Parrish. Maravich Better than ANY shooting guard that played for the Lakers.

BTW Russell was also an EXTRADINARY Athlete for his time Sub 49 sec 440 yd, High Jump well over 7ft', he was ranked 7th in the WORLD in 1955, with today's diet and training advantages it is scary what he could have done.

The will to win is what propelled a lot of those all time greats who were not physically the tops even during their time to out perform people who would run faster and were stronger. But there's a limit to how much the will to win can launch someone to outperform their more physically gifted peers.

And then you have guys like Bo, Brown, Barry Sanders or Michael Jordan who were freaks in their time. They wouldn't have their physical advantage to rely on today. The things that made them look like a man among boys would be canceled out by how many opportunities are afforded to athletically-gifted kids today.

I grew up watching those guys. I looooved rooting against MJ but was in awe of his pure will to win. In today's NBA he might still be a top guy but not the complete freak he was then. Same with Bo, Barry and Brown.

I'm old. I watched the C's regularly during the 6pack era. Tell someone else to get off of your lawn.

Believe whatever you want, but Larry Bird isn't a thing if he was born 19 years ago.

Your a good poster on this board. I’m just going to pretend that last sentence didn’t exist.

Those physical freaks would also have many opportunities afforded to THEM to be EVEN MORE athletically freaky relative to their peers. Guys like MJ were freakish because of an incredible work ethic. If in their prime today, their workouts would be better and IMO they would stand out equally from their peers today as they would have back then.
People who have the skills required by the sport, are competitors and winners transcend generations.
And Jordan brought forward in a time capsule would be as much an athletic freak now as he was then. Regency bias makes people think changes have occurred that haven’t.

I don’t think players will flock to LA at all. Really the only top player (near his prime not ancient ray Allen) to follow Lebron is Bosch. (Unless I missed someone).
Wade was already there. No one very good came to Cleveland to play with him. Ever.
Love was forced to go to Cleveland by trade and it pretty much ruined his career. Kyrie refused to keep playing with him.
Lebron seems to me to be a guy who keeps top free agents away not one who attracts them. What star player would want to be stuck in lebrons offense?

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back