Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Spurs

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Lakers

Votes: 67 59.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters
I agree with you for the most part on eras and physical advantages, and I'm on Lebron being the best all-time, but I actually think Bird would have been better in this era than in the one he played in. He was a 40% 3pt shooter and they would have let him jack up a lot more 3s nowadays. He wasn't quite the outside shooter of someone like Klay Thompson, but he was much better going to the rim (and a much better defender). Figure they double or more the number of threes he shoots each game to 6 or 7, Bird might have averaged above 30 for several years. Question becomes whether could hold up inside with 280 lb guys banging on him.

I loved Bird, he's easily my all time favorite NBA player so I'm not ragging on him. I think he'd have a harder time getting the ball and getting open looks in today's NBA.

Similarly I could imagine a scenario where the NFL changes significantly in 30 years to the point that the pocket doesn't even exist due to improvements in pass rushing training/technique and the game operates very differently and in that scenario, as much as I love the guy, Brady wouldn't make it if you teleported him into that future.

I dunno it's all just subjective stuff but I really don't like it when people my age and older chalk it all up to recency bias.

Brady wouldn't make it if you teleported him into that future.

As long as Brady keeps getting rid of the ball in under 3 seconds, he'd be okay.

Bird shot the lights out of the ball, he was a tremendous passer and great defender. It's not like Jordan, Magic and others weren't athletic. Bird would translate just fine, as Brady still does.

I loved Bird, he's easily my all time favorite NBA player so I'm not ragging on him. I think he'd have a harder time getting the ball and getting open looks in today's NBA.
Huh? Defense isn’t close to what it used to be and Bird was a master at getting his shot and getting it off. You sound like someone who never saw him play.

Similarly I could imagine a scenario where the NFL changes significantly in 30 years to the point that the pocket doesn't even exist due to improvements in pass rushing training/technique and the game operates very differently and in that scenario, as much as I love the guy, Brady wouldn't make it if you teleported him into that future.
Are you eliminating blockers in this fantasy?
So your argument is if there are no longer QBs the QB would be obsolete? What does that have to do with eras?

I dunno it's all just subjective stuff but I really don't like it when people my age and older chalk it all up to recency bias.
You have the ultimate recency bias problem.

Huh? Defense isn’t close to what it used to be

These things don't happen in a vacuum. Defense was better because of the caliber of play and caliber of ball handling was lower.

You have the ultimate recency bias problem.

A lot of old fogeys throwing out that term. I live in the world, not the past.

These things don't happen in a vacuum. Defense was better because of the caliber of play and caliber of ball handling was lower.
Not even close. Fundamental skills were significantly better then.

Wherever you are living you are wrong.

Granted we have some of the greats playing right now (curry cp3) but don’t discount older players like pistol Pete, Cousy, Tim hardaway. Caliber of ball handling was just as good.

With a player like bird who’s thinking 3 moves ahead he’s going to be successful in any era. I’d put his total offensive game up against anyone today.

Granted we have some of the greats playing right now (curry cp3) but don’t discount older players like pistol Pete, Cousy, Tim hardaway. Caliber of ball handling was just as good.

With a player like bird who’s thinking 3 moves ahead he’s going to be successful in any era. I’d put his total offensive game up against anyone today.

Yeah I think the mental aspect is what would translate the best. Take a genius player and he’d do well in any era. Bird certainly qualifies. So does Brady.

When DJ was the #2 option he was basically a 20ppg scorer at SEA & PHO.

I suspect if Kevin or Parish were not around and he was fed kickouts by Larry he'd be a 22+ppg player.

DJs passing and D is so far beyond Kyrie's its not even something to be discussed.

Last edited:

Sir you are living in a vacuum. Anyone who witnessed that era would disagree. Unless you consider to anyone over 40 to be an old fogey, and would have no point of reference. I watched them as a teen and young adult. They were amazing.

It was a different game, far more dependent on defense and less dependent on hitting 3 pointers. I think both games are very, good and on par with each other.

Last edited:

Larry Bird would be the best player in the nba today.

I detest the Lakers. I never had an issue with LeBron before, but I hope they never win another game.
As a Boston sports fan, those are just one of those uniforms you just see and immediately hate

When DJ was the #2 option he was basically a 20ppg scorer at SEA & PHO.

I suspect if Kevin or Parish were not around and he was fed kickouts by Larry he'd be a 22+ppg player.

DJs passing and D is so far beyond Kyrie's is not even something to be discussed.
DJ was just a basketball player. Stats don’t do him justice. Didn’t shoot too well but great at everything else.

Pete Maravich was miles better than curry or Chris Paul.

DJ was just a basketball player. Stats don’t do him justice. Didn’t shoot too well but great at everything else.
Agree. They really don't

I'll go to my grave believing if there was a single elimination game and you had to choose 5 players, there are four automatics....

Larry
Russ
MJ
DJ

Oh god....Here come the LaBron-a-ites rushing to his defense.

Larry was a better shooter, passer and rebounder. While he was not a better on the ball defender, he was just a good as a ball thief and shot-blocker.

He'd be one of the best without doubt. As a point of reference Jordan was not Jordan until Bird and Magic were well past their prime, and he played them many times. Until they were done he was much more of a stat. sheet.

Defense was better because the rules allowed for defense to be played. Unlike today.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back