PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

League admits to using incorrect rules during SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going from memory, if the call was overturned at the time they probably would've kicked a field goal so the final score probably would've been 37-33, Eagles still win. Right?

Next time Tommy and crew should just finish the game two scores up so neither fan base has to hand wring over calls.

I’d care if the patriots had any semblance of a defense on the field. If those calls had gone our way the eagles would have just scored on the next play I’m sure

If the refs had called the obvious illegal formation on the "philly special" that would have seriously changed the game because it was 4th down, they probably kick a FG then.

The Clement play happened on 3rd and 6 from the 22. Any honest fan has to admit in that game bringing up 4th & 6 was not getting a stop. Get over it. Lose with grace, fight another day. Sure it pissed us all off when it happened but by now we should all be on to 2018 instead of wallowing in this pity party bs.
That is just a ridiculous point of view.
No one is wallowing in anything other than you crying about the defense.
I am taking about facts. You whined “if you don’t like bad calls make a stop”. I pointed out that the bad call took away a stop. End of story.

If the refs had called the obvious illegal formation on the "philly special" that would have seriously changed the game because it was 4th down, they probably kick a FG then.

Bingo. This hand wringing over the Ertz and Clement touchdown catches should not be the focus if we're going to complain about the officiating in that game. The illegal formation on the "Philly Special" potentially gives the Patriots the ball back (or results in a FG, worst case scenario). With the way they played in that game, it more than likely results in a time-consuming drive going the other way which, even if points aren't scored, takes more time off the clock and limits Philly's possessions.

The point, in my opinion, isn’t that the league was out to get the Patriots. It’s that the league of integrity didn’t like that fans complained that they knew what a catch was and the league didn’t so for the most watched game of the year Goodell told the officials to ignore the rules and call what the fans want. When the game becomes about the audience the game and competition suffers. The Sb has become a fan event, a publicity show, and now in addition to dumping media nights and interview requirements to detract from preparing for a championship game, they are literally changing the rules to appease the viewers rather than play the game solely to crown a champion.
The change could just as easily helped the patriots as hurt them. It’s not about the patriots it’s about, dare I say, THE INTEGRITY OF THE GAME.

No flag was getting called. Before the snap the player checked his alignment with the official. The official said he was OK. If the official said he wasn't OK he would have changed where he lined up. Now that maybe might have changed the execution of the play. But there wasn't going to be a flag.

(And before you get tinfoily about it, that's standard procedure -- players will often check with the officials as to whether or not the official considers them on or off the line, and the officials will tell them.)

The picture should start to become more clear for everyone in regards to why the NFL wanted to move the authority for replays over to park avenue

Another way for them to have more control over their product and outcomes

Clements shouldn't have been a TD, but oh well.. it wasn't so egregious that it will haunt me or anything. Pats had plenty of opportunities to win that game, but the defense was a total ****ing embarrassment and they made more plays

Not surprising that NFL front office did this knowingly.... deflategate was all the proof you needed in terms of how confident they are that they can hand you a plate full of crap, tell you it's really delicious cake, then stuff it down your throat

The brazen nature with which they conduct their business is pretty astonishing.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go as far as to say the NFL is like the WWE, where the outcome is scripted. I would 100% draw a similarity to NASCAR, where they can and do everything they can to control the product. (competition yellows, cautions for debris, cars failing inspection, ect.) NASCAR has watered down their product, so now the ratings are off and tracks are half full. The NFL will not learn from NASCAR's example, as long as the $$ keeps flowing in by the billions.

Wanna talk about cheating? There's been cheating in NASCAR since the wheel was round. No one cares.

In short, the NFL sucks. They constantly try to feed us BS and hope that we will believe it. Owners are forced to to goosestep to the corporate line. They screw over older players like Ronnie Lippett. they can't make their mind up on the protest BS. They suck.

The point, in my opinion, isn’t that the league was out to get the Patriots. It’s that the league of integrity didn’t like that fans complained that they knew what a catch was and the league didn’t so for the most watched game of the year Goodell told the officials to ignore the rules and call what the fans want. When the game becomes about the audience the game and competition suffers. The Sb has become a fan event, a publicity show, and now in addition to dumping media nights and interview requirements to detract from preparing for a championship game, they are literally changing the rules to appease the viewers rather than play the game solely to crown a champion.
The change could just as easily helped the patriots as hurt them. It’s not about the patriots it’s about, dare I say, THE INTEGRITY OF THE GAME.

Yeah I think this is it. All year long the discussion was whether a particular play was a catch or not. It made the league look bad because while the rule said it wasn't a catch, by the 'eye test' it looked like one. They didn't want that becoming the discussion the morning after the Super Bowl, so they ruled those TDs instead of being consistent with how they were calling it all year. I don't think they were out to get the Patriots, as much as we'd like to think they did it specifically to screw us. They would have done the same thing against the Eagles.

No flag was getting called. Before the snap the player checked his alignment with the official. The official said he was OK. If the official said he wasn't OK he would have changed where he lined up. Now that maybe might have changed the execution of the play. But there wasn't going to be a flag.

(And before you get tinfoily about it, that's standard procedure -- players will often check with the officials as to whether or not the official considers them on or off the line, and the officials will tell them.)

Yeah, I saw this the day after the game, it pretty much negates any argument by Patriots fans that we got screwed by the non-call. Also, that illegal formation was not the reason that play worked, it was because we were completely and utterly fooled and would have been so if he had been lined up correctly as well.

That is just a ridiculous point of view.
No one is wallowing in anything other than you crying about the defense.
I am taking about facts. You whined “if you don’t like bad calls make a stop”. I pointed out that the bad call took away a stop. End of story.

That's an interesting take from someone who revels in ridiculous points of view. Perhaps you can point out where I was "crying about the defense" or where I said "If you don't like bad calls make a stop" but I doubt someone that said they couldn't be bothered to look up who the attorney was in Hernandez's 1st trial when called out on it could be troubled to. In any case this time you can save yourself the trouble because you made it up, I didn't say what you quoted me as saying. "Get a damn stop" is the antithesis of a whine (lmfao) but it is in line with your method of 'debate' to call it one. Again, the Clement play happened on 3rd &6 from the 22. With Philly converting almost at will that hardly qualified as a stop. Hence not 'end of story' at all, that would only have been if it happened on 4. Philly won that game the same way New England wins most games, they made fewer mistakes both on the field & the sideline. That's football

You seem to have either a reading comprehension issue or a bad habit of distorting what people you want to disagree with say. Whichever it is it makes considered adult discourse with you a fruitless endeavor. Feel free to make something else up while getting the last word.

That's an interesting take from someone who revels in ridiculous points of view. Perhaps you can point out where I was "crying about the defense" or where I said "If you don't like bad calls make a stop" but I doubt someone that said they couldn't be bothered to look up who the attorney was in Hernandez's 1st trial when called out on it could be troubled to. In any case this time you can save yourself the trouble because you made it up, I didn't say what you quoted me as saying. "Get a damn stop" is the antithesis of a whine (lmfao) but it is in line with your method of 'debate' to call it one. Again, the Clement play happened on 3rd &6 from the 22. With Philly converting almost at will that hardly qualified as a stop. Hence not 'end of story' at all, that would only have been if it happened on 4. Philly won that game the same way New England wins most games, they made fewer mistakes both on the field & the sideline. That's football

You seem to have either a reading comprehension issue or a bad habit of distorting what people you want to disagree with say. Whichever it is it makes considered adult discourse with you a fruitless endeavor. Feel free to make something else up while getting the last word.
Thank you for proving my point

Also, somewhere, Chris Stevenson is having a stroke reading this latest news.

Yep, no doubt ol' Christina Trollaw Stevenson has been snapping like a dry twig over at PFT.

Also, somewhere, Chris Stevenson is having a stroke reading this latest news.
Did he bail? I mean, the guy had as many posts as me.... in a month.

The Clement play happened on 3rd and 6 from the 22. Any honest fan has to admit in that game bringing up 4th & 6 was not getting a stop. Get over it. Lose with grace, fight another day. Sure it pissed us all off when it happened but by now we should all be on to 2018 instead of wallowing in this pity party bs.

Oh ya? Did Doug Pederson tell you if it had been overruled that he was gonna go for it and risk coming away with no points in a 22-19 game?

Especially when the Pats on their drive before just went 75 yards in 2 minutes and scored
He was gonna risk going down 26-22 instead of being up 25-19?

Also your "4th & 6, was not getting a stop" take is absolute horsesh*t.

On the Eagles drive after the Clement TD after the Pats had just had their 2nd 75 yard TD drive in a row on the NE 16 3rd and 3 they got stopped on a screen pass and kicked a FG.

Pats brought up 4th and goal on the 7 that caused Philadelphia to kick a FG earlier in the game

They also brought up 4th & 8 and forced a punt

So to simply say the Eagles would have gone for it and Pats wouldn't have stopped them is absolute horsh*t because the same scenario happened a drive later when the Pats stopped them on 3rd down and the kicked a FG

Pats defense made as many stops as the Eagles defense did. Only difference was Pats missed a FG and Amendola and Brady couldn't connect on 3rd and 5 even though they had it.

Going from memory, if the call was overturned at the time they probably would've kicked a field goal so the final score probably would've been 37-33, Eagles still win. Right?

Next time Tommy and crew should just finish the game two scores up so neither fan base has to hand wring over calls.

No.

They kick a FG 25-19
Pats score 26-25
Eagles FG 28-26
Pats TD 33-28
Eagles TD 35-33
Then comes the drive where Brady got strip sacked. Which with 2:20 left Pats probably play that to get into FG range but also chew clock. On the strip sack James White was wide open. On a drive to get in FG range and chew time, Brady probably goes to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back