PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Laughable Brady-Rodgers comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodgers sucks on the road vs playoff caliber teams. He's not in Brady's league.

Rodgers is a top 10 all time QB IMO or will be by the time he retires. Nothing wrong putting him in the Brady convo but he is not better. He has more physical talent. For people who don't understand quartbacking or football as much I can see why they would think Rodgers is better.

Wow, it's 2005 all over again, except this time the stats are a dead heat AND Brady's got all the rings. Blast from the past, you just change the names... Brady calls Rodgers, the machine picks up, says "You've reached the greatest quarterback of all time please leave a message." Brady hangs up. Rodgers calls right back says "Oh um you heard my new message I take it." Brady says "Funny thing is, it went there after only 1 ring."

Here's where we are. Brady's past anybody presently playing, and yes, better than Montana and the rest of the past-era guys. You don't call a guy with good stats the GOAT because of his good stats. No, Peyton's not in the conversation. No, Rodgers isn't in the conversation. And as much as I like Brees, no, he's not in the conversation. It's not just who else could you draft in your fantasy league, it's what happens when you're down 28-3 in the 4th, just for example, in the bloody Sb. Or what "Tom Brady did [that just gave Madden] goosebumps." In the SB. Just a couple of moments out of 15 years of brilliant moments, punctuated by a slew of excellence, a smattering of "solid play," and the very rare stinker or two (followed by an inevitable bounce-back). For 15 years.

Here's the thing. Rodgers is really good. Brady's gone to almost half the Super Bowls since he's started. He's won 1/3 of the SBs played since he's been the starter at NE. Someone else did this better w/the picture of the rings. Rodgers is almost mathematically eliminated from matching a record like that already.

See I think that matters.

It's at the point now where TB stands on his own and so do his accomplishments. You dont even need to downplay what Rogers, or Manning, or Montana have done because quite frankly there is no comparison.

It is like when people bash Welker when the JE/WW discussion come up. No need to bash WW now that JE has carved out his own legacy here. His accomplishments stand on their own without the stupid "WW diddnt do whatever" crap..

The interesting thing is Brady could easily have 6-9 rings by now.

It seems to me the following years

06' - If they get past Indy they easily beat Chicago
07' - Helmet catch
11' - Welker drop
15' - If they get past Denver they easily beat Carolina

were all potential championship teams where a few players here or there go differently and they win.

I thought this year's playoffs summed it up best.

Both teams played a great Falcons team. Packers went down big and ATL was seemingly unstoppable. Watch Rodgers the rest of the game. Horrible body language, negative interactions with his teammates, and got roped in to passive aggressive hostility with the Falcons. I remember him walking past a defender on the sideline and hitting him with his shoulder like a d-bag would do to you at a bar. They were in his head. He had his spirit broken and played like a loser. Ironically the Packers weren't doing that badly, they just had a couple things not to their way and it got out of control.

Now compare that to Brady. He threw the pick six, tried to stay with the play, put his head down for a second (in an image that was captured for posterity by the early editions), then got back up and went to work. We all know what happened then. He told his teammates they would be part of the greatest comeback ever, and he was right.

It's like night and day, in the same postseason. Rodgers may be more mobile, slightly more accurate, throw some great Hail Marys. Whatever. If I have to choose someone to lead my team into the scrum, there's no question who I'd choose. People who say otherwise are just trolling or don't understand football.
Not sure that's entirely fair. Rodgers is a quarterback in his prime, Brady's near the end of his career. There's a magnificent difference in experience between the two that doesn't let them compare well.

Rodgers also doesn't have that presence on the sidelines to prove him the stability Brady's always been able to tap into when needed.

Brady was always a very calm, self-possessed, focused athlete on the field, far more so than Rodgers or most other QB's are capable of. But he's also benefited a lot from Bill. Rodgers or Ryan haven't had that to the same extent. That hall of fame presence on the sidelines when things get emotional or frustrated can make a HUGE difference.

Not to mention that no quarterback in the history of the Superbowl era has more games, or more snaps of playoff experience than Tom Brady. That gives him a credibility that no other quarterback has ever had. He's engineered some amazing comebacks and nearly engineered several others. When he says to a team that they're coming back, teams know he means it and they know they (through Brady) can do it because it's happened before. If Rodgers tried to do the same thing it would come out almost as hollow as Hasselbeck's guarantee a few years back. Bravado and bluster from a man who doesn't know what he says.

Brady knows what his team can do, Belichick knows what the team can do, and the team trusts that in a way that it's not fair to expect of any other quarterback/coach combo. Just saying, we really are living in the golden age, and without Brady there'd be no doubt of Rodgers' supremacy, but he just isn't a parallel to the GOAT, and to his credit, the first guy to admit that is Aaron Rodgers who said so in so many words a couple weeks after the latest Superbowl when Brady haters were trying to use him as an excuse not to admit the obvious.

I guess I'm saying, it's really not fair to cast character aspersions on Rodgers because he isn't Brady. We know he isn't Brady, so does he, so does his team. Expecting any quarterback to do what Brady did is insane, since it wasn't expected in the first place. I really wish people would put the Brady-Rodgers comparisons down and just let Rodgers be Rodgers. He's having a fine career, and no amount of comparison is going to move the guy out of the shadow of the GOAT, so just let the man do his thing.

Rodgers vs Brady

Statistically it is pretty much a dead heat since 2007 in the regular season. I'd give Rodgers a slight edge but really it is splitting hairs.

Wow. I just looked up the numbers. It really is pretty damn close.

I used 2010 as the the starting point since, well, that was the breakout year for Rodgers as an elite QB with the SB win, and for Brady it was a full season of elite play (unlike 2009), post-injury.

Tom Brady Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Aaron Rodgers Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Brady_zpsyuoslpyx.png

Rodgers_zpsi6xhsict.png

Even at first glance, the basic stats are pretty even...

Rodgers will give you a few more passing TDs with a higher YPA and Cmp% too, but, he also gets sacked 10 more times over the course of a single season. It makes sense too, since he's so quick to scramble on passing plays. So, with this in mind, when you look a little deeper into the stats, his negative sacks yards/attempts don't show up in traditional YPA or comp %, but if you look at the adjusted stats on the far right, Rodger's Y/C ("Yards per Catch") and his NY/A ("Net Yards" which includes sack yards lost) lowers his yardage numbers and completion % to be almost identical to Brady's in Y/C (12.1 vs 12.0) and dead-even in NY/A (7.02 for both). I also added the # of sacks to the pass attempts, and doing so really narrows the gap in comp % to Rodgers at 61.2 vs. 61.1 for Brady. It really is remarkably close.

Brady still has fewer TDs (3 fewer per/yr) -- despite more pass attempts (46 per yr); which explains Brady's lower QB rating by 5.1. More pass attempts gives Brady more total pass yards (but I already discussed the adjusted YPA being so close). Though, despite more attempts, Brady still keeps his total INTs almost as low as Rodgers, at an ever-so-slightly lower rate (.1), too. Again, another remarkably close stat.

So, at first glance, Brady's higher total pass attempts might make one think his team is less likely to hand-off the ball. But (to no-one's surprise, I suspect) it's the opposite way around; New England runs the ball more, and scores more rushing TDs. But, the surprising part is that the Patriots running game really hasn't been as better than Green Bay's as one might think over the course of time. But New England has still been more committed to it; especially near the goal-line as it seems.

Rushing_zps7boeunal.png

So, I'm guessing the +6.4 gap in NE's rushing TDs are the biggest reason why Brady has 3 fewer passing TDs per year.

Also, both QBs are near-equal with their own rushing TDs; Brady with 17, Rodgers with 16, since 2010; so 2 per yr. Again, another really close stat.

Vs Atlanta this year in the playoffs.

Rodgers 21/45, 287 yards, 3TD, 1 INT and only 21 points.
Brady 43/62, 466 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT and 34 points.

If you take out Rodgers one SB run where he won the SB he's 6-7 in the playoffs.

If you take out all 5 of Brady's SB runs where he won the SB he's 10-9 in the playoffs.

Stats will never explain the difference.

I'm just face-palming at "wow it really is pretty close," above. Didn't quote, it's not a personal thing, but the followup was good. Sorry, Rodgers can't be Brady but that should be a relief. He can be Rodgers himself.

Poor bastard. And he thought it was going to be hard to get Green Bay to forget Favrevruh. Hoisted that trophy, said to himself "MATCHED the bastard! NOW! NOW! Better discount double-check yourself before you wreck yourself!"

Then he has to read this stuff :)

Maybe this comparison held some weight in 2013.

Not anymore.

Rodgers is actually the GOAT... of the Hail Mary play.

Poor Discount Double Douchebag...with the new celebration rule he won't be getting ANY airtime for his pathetically lame "Lambeau Leap". ESPN and NFLN will be all over the other teams and THEIR orchestrated TD endzone celebrations. DDD will become irrelevant and the Lamebow Leap an afterthought.

I don't understand the hate for Rodgers. You don't get a career 4:1 TD/INT ratio and an all-time great interception percentage without having an incredible knowledge of defenses.

I don't like the Midwest worship of AR, particularly a bunch of fan boy beat writers, and I think it's alarming that there's a lot of smoke about his leadship. Former teammates, writers, etc. are quick to throw him under the bus. That just doesn't typically happen to elite QBs who make their teammates better.

All that being said, I have always thought that, based on what you see on a Sundays, Rodgers is the only quarterback who is worthy of discusson to be in the same class as Brady. Brees? Waaaayyyy too many interceptions...a volume machine who builds up empty stats. Peyton Manning? What a joke...put postseason aside, and Brady is STILL the superior player. Wilson? Great player and winner, but he isn't AR, at least not yet.

Its just Click Bait.. The only thing I will say about Brady is this: Bill Bellichick. You have the best of the best in both categories.

With that said former and I think current coaches basically give Brady all the credit or most of the credit.

Tom Brady is better because he has been very durable and of course the rings and the success he had in the playoffs.

But I am going to cut some slack to Rodgers, I think Aaron is better than Quadruple head Manning, the only problem Rodgers had is crappy defense for many years, look at the Patriots after the 08 season, we had several years with terrible defenses until 2013, that's when we started improving and making to the SB, I have no doubt in my mind if Rodgers had a better defensive minded coach he would be a lot more successful in this league, and of course he needed better players on that defensive line too, they were down right atrocious.

Hell if Brady retires after next season I'll give them Jimmy for Rodgers to get us few more rings. :p I am so gonna get flamed for this lol.

I don't understand the hate for Rodgers. You don't get a career 4:1 TD/INT ratio and an all-time great interception percentage without having an incredible knowledge of defenses.

I don't like the Midwest worship of AR, particularly a bunch of fan boy beat writers, and I think it's alarming that there's a lot of smoke about his leadship. Former teammates, writers, etc. are quick to throw him under the bus. That just doesn't typically happen to elite QBs who make their teammates better.

All that being said, I have always thought that, based on what you see on a Sundays, Rodgers is the only quarterback who is worthy of discusson to be in the same class as Brady. Brees? Waaaayyyy too many interceptions...a volume machine who builds up empty stats. Peyton Manning? What a joke...put postseason aside, and Brady is STILL the superior player. Wilson? Great player and winner, but he isn't AR, at least not yet.

One minor thing. The more I look at Brees the more appreciation I have for him. Yes he has a lot of volume and throws more Int but I don't think that is usually his choice. A lot of that has to do with having a crappy D and needing to throw all the time. Given a better D he may have lower numbers on the whole but probably better %'s. I don't think he is Tom Brady of course (at this point we need to take Brady out of these discussions as that isn't fair) but he is IMO a top 10 QB of all time (In the super bowl era. Just to be clear I only talk about 10 top within the SB era and a top 5 before it. Too many guys we didn't get to see enough of playing to different a game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore