PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

La Canfora: Brady unlikely to sign extension, will test free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Tom Brady prepared to meet with teams other than the Patriots in 2020 free agency

Posting as a new thread since the other post about this was a misleading train wreck that I’ve deleted.

Not sure I believe La Canfora (kind of has a reputation for being wrong) but it’s worth posting/discussing. If Brady is unwilling to extend before FA starts I have to think the Pats will have already decided to move on from him by then - they can’t afford to tie up half of their cap space waiting around on him while other FAs pass them by. But that’s just my opinion.

Agree with you’re opinion “if reporting is accurate”. Big IF w JLC.

Apparently JLC said he wanted to mentor somebody. I doubt that

He's the national version of Trollin

Brady would be a fool not to put out there that he wants to entertain offers if he wants a 2-3 year contract. Puts the pressure on the Patriots to give him a 2-3 year contract. He wants to stay here and I doubt he try’s to break the bank doing so. He just does not want those 1 year deals.

If Brady isn’t signed by 3/18 he must be moving on. He has to know waiting any longer only hurts their ability to put better players around him. Any longer and Bill will have to start looking elsewhere as well.

Apparently JLC said he wanted to mentor somebody. I doubt that
At first I doubted it too and felt like that cast doubt on the article as a whole, but then he followed up with essentially saying Tom wants to impart the "TB12 method" on that QB and possibly the entire organization, and I can't say I find that far-fetched. If Brady is gonna leave he's gonna push his TB12 stuff hard along the way too. I imagine that has been restrained a fair amount in NE even with the real estate present near Gillette - we have heard the stories about his regimen clashing with the team training staff. Whichever team picks him up possibly agrees to adopt TB12 organizationally. Its a factor I hadn't fully thought through before.

He is a free agent so it is not a huge stretch to think he will speak with other teams. My guess is that BB is the ultimate decision maker. If he is willing to invest in Brady beyond a year at reasonable money then I assume he'll return. If not, he is gone. I am not certain BB will give him more than a 1 year deal and if that is extremely important to Brady then I could see him elsewhere.

He is a free agent so it is not a huge stretch to think he will speak with other teams. My guess is that BB is the ultimate decision maker. If he is willing to invest in Brady beyond a year at reasonable money then I assume he'll return. If not, he is gone. I am not certain BB will give him more than a 1 year deal and if that is extremely important to Brady then I could see him elsewhere.
The article mentions Brady views this as "his last contract" so I assume a one year deal is a nonstarter. I can envision Bill cutting out some portion of the cap dedicated to "QB" and then working the rest of the team moves without worrying about if it is Tom or not - if it isn't then that money could go to Dalton or similar. But I doubt that is enough money for Brady if that is the case.

I put all this reporting as reliable as the papers in the supermarket checkout line.

speaking of that, I just got back because I was out of both beer and cookies.

and the tabloids have this..

5D13C133-9B2B-4D90-B58C-B7F89797CB48.jpeg

I’m pretty sure Tangway writes for them

If they only could agree on a one year deal last year, you really think the Pats are going to swallow a 2 year deal now?

I don't think BB will give Brady a 2 year deal so if that is ultimately what he wants then I think there is a good chance he is gone.

So TB at 43 is going to ask for basically max money? Lol

I’ll mention here what I said in the other thread — I suspect that Brady wanting to flog/flogging the whole TB12 lifestyle thing hard is actually non-trivial negative to Belichick re: keeping Brady.

oh wow.
This situation is like a puzzle.

Only time will tell

the cap hit if he doesnt sign before free agency is big. I doubt pats sign him after considering the 13M + the additional cap hit. If brady does want to test free agency then it means he doesnt want to be here. I doubt it though that brady and his agent wont talk to the pats first.

I mean he really wants to go play for another team for the 2 remaining years he has left of playing?

Why not stick around and finish what you’ve started in NE.

the cap hit if he doesnt sign before free agency is big. I doubt pats sign him after considering the 13M + the additional cap hit. If brady does want to test free agency then it means he doesnt want to be here. I doubt it though that brady and his agent wont talk to the pats first.
That is a good point as well. It’s not just paying Brady but also losing the chance to stretch the cap hit from his existing contract. If I recall correctly I also believe the contract voids a few days before FA so they don’t have the option to extend during the “legal tampering period” either.

Awesome, I expect an extension to be announced this week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots