PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kurt Warner Film work on MAc Jones

A play like that is almost never on the QB though. Don't know what Brady was or wasn't thinking but Mason was beaten badly and the fumble doesn't happen if he wasn't.

Yes, I agree, but the fumble doesn't happen either if Brady hits James White and this would have gotten the ball to at least the -40, which is why both players are equally at fault. The rest of the game Brady was superb.

Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 3.14.14 PM.png

Yep, but 3rd/19 didn't help either.
Emmanuel Mosley messed up in coverage (as he did all year) taking the short route. Had he taken Hill like he was supposed to, Mahomes gets sacked.
Yes, I agree, but the fumble doesn't happen either if Brady hits James White and this would have gotten the ball to at least the -40, which is why both players are equally at fault. The rest of the game Brady was superb.

View attachment 37762
Yep, Brady absolutely f*cked up on that play. I remember going back and forth with posters on this after the Super Bowl as they were saying the rush got there too quickly for Brady to notice White. I disagree as he looked White's way first, but wanted a deeper pass. When it wasn't there, he looked back to White but it was too late.

With that being said, the defense is the reason they lost.

View attachment 37762

The 40? How do you figure? That Eagles player is looking directly at him and in position to pounce. Most likely, White catches it running to the outside and extends for a 3 yard gain and first down. They’re 65 yards away from the endzone. I agree that it’s a throw Brady probably should have just taken, but the Patriots had moved the ball all gsme with big gash plays and chunks. Hence, low completion pct but 500 yards in the end.

If he goes for a big play and misses, it’s 3rd and 2, and they’re in 4 down territory. This is absolutely one of those down/distance situations where going for the money makes sense. Unfortunately, the risk winds up being not what was perceived…a strip sack isn’t a likely outcome someone would normally account for there. An interception or incompletion, or possibly a sack, would be the likely issues with throwing downfield.

I agree it’s on Brady, ultimately. But I can understand why he initially looked away from White to see about better options.

While we are posting screen shots of the strip sack, could we get some nice shots of the helmet catch too? Perhaps kick me in the ball bag while we are at it?

The 40? How do you figure? That Eagles player is looking directly at him and in position to pounce. Most likely, White catches it running to the outside and extends for a 3 yard gain and first down. They’re 65 yards away from the endzone. I agree that it’s a throw Brady probably should have just taken, but the Patriots had moved the ball all gsme with big gash plays and chunks. Hence, low completion pct but 500 yards in the end.

If he goes for a big play and misses, it’s 3rd and 2, and they’re in 4 down territory. This is absolutely one of those down/distance situations where going for the money makes sense. Unfortunately, the risk winds up being not what was perceived…a strip sack isn’t a likely outcome someone would normally account for there. An interception or incompletion, or possibly a sack, would be the likely issues with throwing downfield.

I agree it’s on Brady, ultimately. But I can understand why he initially looked away from White to see about better options.

Ok a 3 yard gain would have been to the -38. Still a first down, like you said. Then we would have hit the 2 minute warning with 60 yards for the GW TD. Brady does that in his sleep.

I LOVED the Warner and JT O'Sullivan breakdowns. The attention to the details and subtleties always leave me with several new things I learned. When they broke down how the Pats run their outcut at an angle rather than straight was not only informative, but show how much detail and thought goes into every route, and play they produce.

On Mac I have several observations.

1. The new hot takes will now all be Mac Comparisons. From Chad Pennington to Tom Brady and about 15 guys in between. We will hear them all over the next 7 weeks and (hopefully) beyond.

2. We DO now know a few things for sure. Mac has superior understanding and processing skills. He sees the field well and throws the ball accurately. But that's about all we know in week 10 0f his NFL career. In this day and age he has yet to throw for 300 yds. Christ Mike freakin' White has done that in 2 games (400 in one IIRC).

3. We can say he has been the best and most effective of the rookie QB's and saying "by far" might not be hyperbole.

4.. Did you know?

a. Mack has the same 40 and 3 cone times as Russell Wilson. A guy who is considered ne of the more elusive QB's in the league (4.8 forty and 7.04 3 cone). So Mac IS a very good athlete and I don't understand why the general perception is that he limited to the pocket. He is not Phillip Rivers.
The 'problem' is that he never HAD to be elusive. Certainly not at Alabama where he was sacked only 3 times his entire senior season.

Now I don't think that Mac IS elusive right now. But the important thing that I'd like people to understand is that he CAN be. He has the athletic ability and quickness to make all the moves. To put it in perspective, Mac is as fast as Rodney Harrison, and had a better 3 cone time (short area quickness) than Wes Welker. That does NOT sound like a QB who is a one dimensional drop back passer and that's it.

All that being said it's a part of his game that DOWN THE ROAD he can develop

b. Another area that can get better is his Arm Strength. We have seen this before with Tom Brady who can into the league with just an average (and some even thought it was BELOW average) arm, and by 2007 when they talked about strong armed QB's Brady was always included. So if you are happy with his arm now, give him a few years, and it will likely be better.

5. Another big Mac "hot take" topic will be the high floor, low ceiling take. Well back in February when we were talking about the attributes we all wanted to see in our next generation QB, my first choice was that he would be "psychotically competitive". Tom Brady certainly was (and is) and I saw what that kind of insane quest to get better year after year did for this franchise, and THAT's what I wanted in the next guy.

Well it will be a few years to see how our guy rates in this category, but if the early returns are any indication I'd start to put a check in that all important box. It's his drive that makes me believe that over time he will improve his already adequate arm strength and use his innate athleticism more during games.

6. BTW - If anyone asks, I think his floor is Chad Pennington (pre-injury) and his ceiling is in the Phillip Rivers/Joe Montana range. I guess he'll always be compared to Brady,, but its not fair. There is only one GOAT. I will be happy if he can be compared to Brady's approach to game and off season preparation and the drive to keep getting better.

Just an absolutely phenomenal clip by Kurt Warner. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed watching this as much as I dismiss and laugh at fake expert construction guys who spew wrong football analysis.

Fake expert construction guys?

Fake expert construction guys?
BaconGrundleCandy is the person in question.

He is not a fake expert, knows his stuff.

And he's a potato farmer, not a construction worker.

“A lot of guys will move up not stay balanced.” Hi Cam!

That is on DKF, he’s the most redundant poster since NEM, and he tried once again to bait BGC in this thread. DKF hates the respect BGC gets on this site for his draft knowledge and contributions, and he tries to start sh.t with him every chance he gets.
His insights aren't the worst, but he should really consider changing his profile picture to..
original-1-900x770.jpg

Sorry, next time I post, I'll give you a heads up. Would you like me to text you or email you? Remember, the notification you get on your lockscreen is a text...

Yeah, that's romper room stuff. Please try harder. Or maybe keep doing it but change your avatar to Barney.

Screenshots_2021-11-18-20-09-33.png

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back