PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kurt Warner Film work on MAc Jones

I love the breakdown of the Bourne TD. When I first saw that throw I thought "Mac threw it high and Bourne just made an incredible catch." but as you look at it more you see just how impressive this throw is. He puts it not only where only his guy has a chance of getting it, but he also throws it in such a way that when it gets to Bourne he's not going to get obliterated by the safety.

It's one of a few passes by Mac where I think he makes a mistake only to watch it over and see that not only did he not make a mistake he made a brilliant play. His creativity and bravery is very impressive. I've very much enjoyed watching Josh and Hoodie ease the reigns on this thoroughbred. Just don't even think about the race, just sit back and enjoy him run.

I haven't been this excited for the future since... 2001, a Pats Odyssey.
Great equine analogy.

I liked everything Warner said until he claimed Mac taped Cleveland's walkthrough on Saturday.
Warner's all right. He jokes about it but I don't think he ever really believed there was a taped walkthrough or that the Patriots cheated to beat the Rams that day. He gets chirped about it but takes it in stride. He's a good sport.

Marshall Faulk was a different story. Salty to this day.

From what I remember, Mac seems to be playing at or maybe even slightly above early Brady, FWIW, up until 2007, it seemed to me Brady was an excellent QB. But with 2007, it was like, holy smokes, we may have ourselves a GOAT here.

So the ‘low ceiling’ contingent of the National media really annoys me. They contends he has a below average arm and inability to extend plays.

Because of his superior ability to process information he gets through his reads quicker than even some ‘elite’ QB’s. His understanding of the game for his age is as good as anyone I have ever seen (Math degree w/4.0 in 2.5 years while playing colllege sport). He will win multiple SB, not saying he will match Brady, but barring injury a HOF career, that is what this guy who has watched football 63 years sees,
I wouldn’t presume to judge how his career will go, but the low ceiling thing makes no sense to me. His arm strength is fine. His touch is great. He can make all the throws he needs to. But his intelligence takes him to the next level. I’m not saying he will be Brady, but he has a very similar game. Did Brady have a low ceiling? Because if so, that term means jack snd ****.

Yep. It's amusing that the "QB School" guy in his latest video about Mac says that Mac was lucky that that wasn't a hospital ball. He's slowly starting to admire Mac but still has to get his digs in.
The throw itself was absolutely perfect, I'm just not sure he thought the safety would close in on the catch point quite like he did. Kurt Warner also praised the throw but said he wouldn't have thrown that himself.

For me it was amazing ball placement, a truly big time throw, but I hope he doesn't make a habit of trying to fit those windows.

So the ‘low ceiling’ contingent of the National media really annoys me. They contends he has a below average arm and inability to extend plays.

Because of his superior ability to process information he gets through his reads quicker than even some ‘elite’ QB’s. His understanding of the game for his age is as good as anyone I have ever seen (Math degree w/4.0 in 2.5 years while playing colllege sport). He will win multiple SB, not saying he will match Brady, but barring injury a HOF career, that is what this guy who has watched football 63 years sees,

The whole ceiling argument is based on the fact that people in the media judge the potential of QBs based on the tangibles and not the intangibles. The problem with that is that based on that theory, Jeff George should have become the greatest QB of all time and Brady should have been an average starting QB best.

I think it is funny that the same guys who claim Jones has a low ceiling compare him favorably to early Brady. I mean the thing that made Brady the greatest of all time was his intangibles and not his tangibles. Brady doesn't have a cannon of an arm. He doesn't scramble out of the pocket.

Because the best QBs in the league other than Brady are physical specimens and not pocket passers who's main strength is his mind, not his arm; Jones is discounted by many. That is why many think (or at least thought) a guy like Trey Lance, who is extremely raw and hasn't proven himself to even be able to compete at the NFL level yet, has a higher ceiling than Jones. It is all about Lance's physical, but raw talent.

I wouldn’t presume to judge how his career will go, but the low ceiling thing makes no sense to me. His arm strength is fine. His touch is great. He can make all the throws he needs to. But his intelligence takes him to the next level. I’m not saying he will be Brady, but he has a very similar game. Did Brady have a low ceiling? Because if so, that term means jack snd ****.
Once Mac raises his game in pocket recognition, comfortability/mobility, this league is ****ed.

Arm strength can be improved see one T Brady, Mac's arm strnegth is comparable to young Brady. He seems driven to be great. I hope to be able to witness his entire career.

I don’t know if Brady was physically weaker in 03, but I don’t think he became the GOAT Brady until 2004. He showed flashes of it in 2003, but whatever it was, he didn’t pull it all together to become otherworldly until at least the Super Bowl that year.

I would say Jones is better than 2001 Brady in a lot of ways, but doubt Jones will ever get close to 2004 and beyond Brady. Probably not in the same stratosphere.
Honestly I would say by the end of 03 Brady was putting it together. We flat out don't win that Panthers SB without Brady deciding to ball out that day.

That said, it's not really fair to compare the two. We are very deliberately developing and bringing a long Mac in real time getting him game experience and adding building blocks every week and giving him more responsibility to let him adjust to it. Brady came in as an emergency for Bledsoe his first year. There was always the fallback of "okay our $100 million QB got injured, he'll comeback later if this doesn't work out". Mac is clearly being given a different development track. Also lets be real, the modern NFL and the NFL of 2001 are very different. There are little things you can do now that help QB's that you couldn't back then.

I only used the :D emoji for your post because I figured Kurt Warner was still probably going through therapy of how 2001 Brady robbed him of his "would-be" Dynasty. I have loved the Mac pick since we made it, but I'll hold off any comparisons to Brady for a few years.

I don't think Warner is as bad as everyone here thinks. He's been praising the Patriots for a while now. He's certainly no Rob Parker.

I predict you will see Mac take his game to another level with the addition of Trent Brown. I've been saying for weeks now that Mac isn't getting enough time in the pocket despite being sacked only 17 times (it seems like a lot but it's middle of the pack for starting NFL QBs through 10 weeks). Insert Trent Brown and then you get to see Mac play the way he did last Sunday.

Biggest questions Mac will be facing is 1) Can he elevate his game in the playoffs? I think so. We saw it last year at Alabama. The national stage does not faze him. 2) Can he play in the elements? We have not seen Mac play in bad NE weather yet (rain, snow, wind, etc) other than the TB game where he excelled. Brady had the advantage of playing at Michigan. We will find out more in the coming months.

Last edited:
I love the breakdown of the Bourne TD. When I first saw that throw I thought "Mac threw it high and Bourne just made an incredible catch." but as you look at it more you see just how impressive this throw is. He puts it not only where only his guy has a chance of getting it, but he also throws it in such a way that when it gets to Bourne he's not going to get obliterated by the safety.

It's one of a few passes by Mac where I think he makes a mistake only to watch it over and see that not only did he not make a mistake he made a brilliant play. His creativity and bravery is very impressive. I've very much enjoyed watching Josh and Hoodie ease the reigns on this thoroughbred. Just don't even think about the race, just sit back and enjoy him run.

I haven't been this excited for the future since... 2001, a Pats Odyssey.
The best part of that throw was when he let it go, Bourne was still like 8 yards off the catch point. He threw it to exactly where Bourne was going to be, splitting the defenders in a window that's tight af. Dude is going to be a special QB in this league

Warner's all right. He jokes about it but I don't think he ever really believed there was a taped walkthrough or that the Patriots cheated to beat the Rams that day. He gets chirped about it but takes it in stride. He's a good sport.

Marshall Faulk was a different story. Salty to this day.
Warner is actually a cool dude. I made a comment on one of the videos and he responded to it. So he's engaged with the fans of his channel

Nope just noting the hypocrisy.

Sorry, next time I post, I'll give you a heads up. Would you like me to text you or email you? Remember, the notification you get on your lockscreen is a text...

It's comparing Brady 2001( year 2 after sitting on the bench and learning year 1) to Jones' year 1 thrown into the fire...... Not comparing him to Brady but it makes Jones' performance all the more remarkable.

The whole ceiling argument is based on the fact that people in the media judge the potential of QBs based on the tangibles and not the intangibles. The problem with that is that based on that theory, Jeff George should have become the greatest QB of all time and Brady should have been an average starting QB best.

I think it is funny that the same guys who claim Jones has a low ceiling compare him favorably to early Brady. I mean the thing that made Brady the greatest of all time was his intangibles and not his tangibles. Brady doesn't have a cannon of an arm. He doesn't scramble out of the pocket.

Because the best QBs in the league other than Brady are physical specimens and not pocket passers who's main strength is his mind, not his arm; Jones is discounted by many. That is why many think (or at least thought) a guy like Trey Lance, who is extremely raw and hasn't proven himself to even be able to compete at the NFL level yet, has a higher ceiling than Jones. It is all about Lance's physical, but raw talent.

Interesting on Monday Night, the cast was talking about Mac's superior score in processing.

Never knew one can measure that.

Not sure how they measure but that's a tangible that's intangible in importance.

By definition, the physically gifted will always have a high ceiling......it's the probability to get there.

Interesting on Monday Night, the cast was talking about Mac's superior score in processing.

Never knew one can measure that.

Not sure how they measure but that's a tangible that's intangible in importance.

By definition, the physically gifted will always have a high ceiling......it's the probability to get there.
And by definition, the Jete are Midvale for all those gifted QBs.

1637246608042.png

in terms of passing ability/poise id say yeah hes ahead of 2001 brady, maybe closer to 2003 brady than 2001. that said, still dont know if hes as clutch. Even In 2001 brady was crazy clutch. The 4th qtr 10 pt comebacks against sd and Oakland. And the drive to win the sb. So far mac hasn’t shown he can do any of that. This is a huge key in terms if where we can go with mac now and beyond.

Right now thats what seperates early brady from him, and its almost impossible to tell how clutch mac is or isnt since its hard to see how much more the qb couldve done in the tb,dallas games. No and miami , the defense didn’t make the late stop to make it possible and/or we fumbled when having the chance to go up, not mac’s fault.

Last edited:
in terms of passing ability/poise id say yeah hes ahead of 2001 brady, maybe closer to 2003 brady than 2001. that said, still dont know if hes as clutch. Even In 2001 brady was crazy clutch. The 4th qtr 10 pt comebacks against sd and Oakland. And the drive to win the sb. So far mac hasn’t shown he can do any of that. This is a huge key in terms if where we can go with mac now and beyond.

Right now thats what seperates early brady from him, and its tough to say since its hard to tell how much more the qb couldve done in the tb,dallas games. No and miami , the defense didn’t make the late stop to make it possible and/or we fumbled when having the chance to go up, not mac’s fault.
Would have been nice if the coaches let Mac go for it in those TB and Dallas games.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back