PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Khalil Mack traded to Chicago

Well if we're talking about precedent, someone posted before how we received the most return on a DE traded in the last 5 years, before Mack obviously. Does that not matter?

And by what you're saying, if all we had gotten in return for Jones was a 7th round pick, but it was already obvious he was going to be one of the best players ever, then it was a great trade. I know that's not what you think.
The Giants received almost as much draft capital for an almost 30 year old Jason Pierre Paul with one hand and $40M remaining on his contract.

The Giants received almost as much draft capital for an almost 30 year old Jason Pierre Paul with one hand and $40M remaining on his contract.

Good for them.

Look, do I wish we could have gotten more for Jones? Of course, why wouldn't I? Can I say with certainty that we could have gotten more? Of course I can't. Neither can you, you can only assume.

Mainly, I just don't understand how anyone can still be so upset about it. It was 2 years ago, he was going to leave anyway, and we won the Super Bowl.

Winning the Super Bowl and getting a 2016 2nd round pick?

Possibly winning the Super Bowl and getting a 2018 3rd round comp pick?

Why is the first one so terrible?

No Jordan Richards was awful last year. Malcolm Butler was not as good as previous years but he was not awful and seeing as he was probably the only reason we won a super bowl back in 2014 I would say I would give him a go.

I trust the coach with 7 super bowl rings over Rando on the Internet, personally.

The team will though.

So you think players are going to give up?
Andy let's try this again.

Oldest roster = lots of players, players looking to win now, are likely gone next year & the year after.

The majority of draft picks, no matter how good take time to make a real impact.

That impact won't come anytime soon. Those players will be producing after 2020+. That's assuming the hit on their picks. Gruden isn't exactly someone I'd trust making picks or giving out fa contracts.

It will be a completely different team.

They paid 100 million for an overrated coach. 60m this off-season & got rid of their best player who has lead the league in tackles at/behind the los & among the top sack guys.

Yes that's not going to go over well w the oldest roster in the league.

James Harrison disagrees and debunked the rumor that Butler violated any team rules.

He was on Skip and Shannon’s show this week and said Butler should’ve at least been put in a after halftime given how bad they were getting beat in the passing game. He didn’t agree with him getting benched.

He said the reason Butler was benched was because he had heard he wasn’t practicing well. Skip asked James if he saw Butler during the week and he replied he was only paying attention to what he had to do.

It’s refreshing to hear a former player actually have an opinion rather than asking current players who obviously won’t answer the question.

Go look it up on YouTube if you don’t believe me.

I'll take the words of team captains Devin McCourty and Dont'a Hightower over 'Guy who was here for a month', thanks.

In that case I guess we should give Harmon away for next to nothing as well. It is funny though because you had not even thought of that for a reason until @AndyJohnson said it.

I stated it earlier in the thread before Andy's post. Look it up since all you can do is ***** about the return on the trade and no even acknowledge how much signing Chandler would impeade the team's flexibility to sign key players.

They weren't looking at an $85m contract with Harmon so your point is nonsensical.

They are in dire need of pass rushers. Arik Armstead is always injured and as of right now a bust. Solomon Thomas is on his way to joining him. He really sucks right now. 9ers fell into the Jets trap of collecting DE’s.

They are in dire need of pass rushers. Arik Armstead is always injured and as of right now a bust. Solomon Thomas is on his way to joining him. He really sucks right now. 9ers fell into the Jets trap of collecting DE’s.

Thomas should’ve never been drafted that high. He’s too slow to play on the edge. He’s best utilized on the interior in sub packages because he’s undersized. I think he could be a decent player if they just move him to his more natural position. He will never reach the expectations of the 3rd overall pick.

Good trade... for Oakland who can get rid of player after getting max production for 4 years.. 2 1st round picks from loser franchise Chicago. Bears are idiots.

Thomas the most tackles at/behind the los last for rookie rushers last year. He's nowhere near bust territory.

Thomas should’ve never been drafted that high. He’s too slow to play on the edge. He’s best utilized on the interior in sub packages because he’s undersized. I think he could be a decent player if they just move him to his more natural position. He will never reach the expectations of the 3rd overall pick.

He is known for his quick twitch/quickness & ability to jump the snap. Hes up to 280 & still has it …

Their still figuring out exactly what his role is on that team, only in his second year. A bit early to come to those conclusions.

Andy let's try this again.
Good because you haven’t made much sense yet.

Oldest roster = lots of players, players looking to win now, are likely gone next year & the year after.

The majority of draft picks, no matter how good take time to make a real impact.

That impact won't come anytime soon. Those players will be producing after 2020+. That's assuming the hit on their picks. Gruden isn't exactly someone I'd trust making picks or giving out fa contracts.
Of course it was a trade for the future. Not wanting to pay a de 23 mill a year is sound thinking.
Your opinion about Gruden is irrelevant.

It will be a completely different team.
Not really. They will have that 23 mill to go toward free agency next year. Carr will be there long term.

They paid 100 million for an overrated coach.
That opinion is irrelevant to this issue.

60m this off-season & got rid of their best player who has lead the league in tackles at/behind the los & among the top sack guys.

Yes that's not going to go over well w the oldest roster in the league.
It is what it is. They werent winning with him. They are looking to the future. It’s not up to players to like that.

Thomas the most tackles at/behind the los last for rookie rushers last year. He's nowhere near bust territory.

He is known for his quick twitch/quickness & ability to jump the snap. Hes up to 280 & still has it …

Their still figuring out exactly what his role is on that team, only in his second year. A bit early to come to those conclusions.
He’s no Derek Rivers. :p

The main issue with picking Thomas was that they already had Buckner, who plays the same position, and they don't want to run a 3-4 one-gap type system that would let both of them thrive at the same time.

He's just out of position on the edge.

This guy isn’t even on our team or division. Let it go. We’ve since won two superbowls letting go of our better DEs for pennies on the dollar. That tells you that adequate replacements are available plus you get draft capital back, and can allocate more of the cap to better players. Two firsts and distributing 100mill to other players, that’s a win for the raiders.

This guy isn’t even on our team or division. Let it go. We’ve since won two superbowls letting go of our better DEs for pennies on the dollar. That tells you that adequate replacements are available plus you get draft capital back, and can allocate more of the cap to better players. Two firsts and distributing 100mill to other players, that’s a win for the raiders.

We could have used a pass rush in the super bowl. Eagles O line destroyed our d line.

The main issue with picking Thomas was that they already had Buckner, who plays the same position, and they don't want to run a 3-4 one-gap type system that would let both of them thrive at the same time.

He's just out of position on the edge.
Idk, it was his 1st year & again he wasn't terrible by any means. Only played about 25-30% inside so I think figuring out a ratio, maybe more inside, is key. He's up to 280 & kept the quicks so I'm excited to see what he can do in year 2.

We gave up one of the best pass rushers in the NFL who was under contract for a full season in exchange for the #61 pick in the draft. When you compare that return to what Oakland received for Mack it is actually laughable.

Or you could look at it as him using the extra second round pick he received on Cyrus Jones. That trade could have been made with their own pick which was #60. It was a terrible trade.

One thing you're missing: ‘At this point in my career, I want to coach guys I like. I want to coach guys I want to be around and that’s it.’ BB said, ‘I’m not going to coach anybody else.'”

Collins and Jones - out. That's it. BB made it pretty clear that he has no patience anymore for players he doesn't like. Collins was free-lancing and Jones showed up stoned at a police station the week of a playoff game.

The football "stats" no longer determine. He's been right up front about it.

As for Chandler, I thought he was a good defensive end, and is much better in a more aggressive system. From what I'm hearing now, he probably would have performed better under Florio than under Patricia. I was sorry to see him go and sorry to see Collins go.

I'm not sorry, however, that I got to watch the Superbowl on the edge of my seat that last two years without them.

Bears went 5-11 last season. I say they improve that this season and go 7-9. Slight chance at 8-8

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back