PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Khalil Mack traded to Chicago

Andy let's try this again.

Oldest roster = lots of players, players looking to win now, are likely gone next year & the year after.

The majority of draft picks, no matter how good take time to make a real impact.

That impact won't come anytime soon. Those players will be producing after 2020+. That's assuming the hit on their picks. Gruden isn't exactly someone I'd trust making picks or giving out fa contracts.

It will be a completely different team.

They paid 100 million for an overrated coach. 60m this off-season & got rid of their best player who has lead the league in tackles at/behind the los & among the top sack guys.

Yes that's not going to go over well w the oldest roster in the league.

Maybe Gruden isn't happy about the roster composition. IF so having 4 possibly top 15 first round picks over the next two drafts isn't a bad way to start his ten year tour.

Maybe Gruden isn't happy about the roster composition. IF so having 4 possibly top 15 first round picks over the next two drafts isn't a bad way to start his ten year tour.
You don't pay a coach 100m to kick the can down the road & win 4-6 years from now.

Again you're talking about huge turnover & paying Carr another 100+m if they still have him. Draft Picks are great but you're talking about hitting on them, developing them while you have no real core. Cutting Obi, Miller in the 1st & Grudens history isn't a positive indication good things are coming.

There is no reason to think this team is close.

On the other hand I think the Bears will be a lot better than most. Maybe even 2nd place in that division & trending up.

One thing you're missing: ‘At this point in my career, I want to coach guys I like. I want to coach guys I want to be around and that’s it.’ BB said, ‘I’m not going to coach anybody else.'”

Collins and Jones - out. That's it. BB made it pretty clear that he has no patience anymore for players he doesn't like. Collins was free-lancing and Jones showed up stoned at a police station the week of a playoff game.

The football "stats" no longer determine. He's been right up front about it.

As for Chandler, I thought he was a good defensive end, and is much better in a more aggressive system. From what I'm hearing now, he probably would have performed better under Florio than under Patricia. I was sorry to see him go and sorry to see Collins go.

I'm not sorry, however, that I got to watch the Superbowl on the edge of my seat that last two years without them.
The whole we made it to the Super Bowl so we did not make a mistake logic is flawed in my opinion. We are 5-3 in Super Bowls and we have never won one decisively they have always come down to the last minute and individual horroics by Brady and others. The 3 games we lost were all a result of the defense not being able to stop the other team and if not for the player Belichick chose to bench this past Super Bowl making a huge play we would have likely had a 4-4 record. In my opinion Brady is the reason for this teams success and Belichick is a good coach who benefits from having an elite QB just as others.

Belichick has won trades and lost trades. He won the Cooks deal but he has lost the Collins, Garoppolo, Jones, and Brissett trades and I don’t even think that is debatable personally.

I don’t really care what Belichick wants I care about us winning, I don’t think he should be putting his desires ahead of the teams success so your first paragraph is not something I think of as a positive.

The whole we made it to the Super Bowl so we did not make a mistake logic is flawed in my opinion. We are 5-3 in Super Bowls and we have never won one decisively they have always come down to the last minute and individual horroics by Brady and others. The 3 games we lost were all a result of the defense not being able to stop the other team and if not for the player Belichick chose to bench this past Super Bowl making a huge play we would have likely had a 4-4 record. In my opinion Brady is the reason for this teams success and Belichick is a good coach who benefits from having an elite QB just as others.

Belichick has won trades and lost trades. He won the Cooks deal but he has lost the Collins, Garoppolo, Jones, and Brissett trades and I don’t even think that is debatable personally.

I don’t really care what Belichick wants I care about us winning, I don’t think he should be putting his desires ahead of the teams success so your first paragraph is not something I think of as a positive.

"Patriots didn't win Super Bowls by enough so Belichick sucks."
"Patriots made Super Bowls but lost some so Belichick sucks."

This is you. This is what you sound like.

You don't pay a coach 100m to kick the can down the road & win 4-6 years from now.
They pays him for 10 years. If the organizations plan is to build a long term winner, yes, in fact they are paying him note for long term than first year success.

Again you're talking about huge turnover & paying Carr another 100+m if they still have him. Draft Picks are great but you're talking about hitting on them, developing them while you have no real core. Cutting Obi, Miller in the 1st & Grudens history isn't a positive indication good things are coming.
So you have decided Miller is a bust before his first gane? Obi deserved to be cut. He was a bad oicjbto begin with.
“Grudens history” is what they paid for.

Then why not open 23 mill a year in cap space and acquire picks?

On the other hand I think the Bears will be a lot better than most. Maybe even 2nd place in that division & trending up.
Bears will struggle to 6 wins.

The Raiders had no shot to win the SB this year. They were likely to finish no better than 3rd in their own division. They can do that with, or without, Mack on the DL.

I’ll piggy back off of this and say they should’ve made it to even more Super Bowls. 2006, 2010, 2012 and 2015 where years they should’ve at least been there. 2006 was an odd year because they really should’ve lost to the Chargers but blew the game in Indy. They would’ve made it in ‘05 had they avoided the Broncos. I thought the Broncos were trash but the Pats just flat out couldn’t match up with them. That was the one defense that Brady couldn’t crack. He went 0-3 against them between ‘05-‘06. 2nd year QB Roethlisberger tore that D apart one week later in Mile High.

Hopefully he likes losing

They are paying their coach 100mill to make them a great team and a Super Bowl contender. It’s hard to do that when you are paying your qb and a de top market value. Now their coach gets top draft picks and flexibility to sign good players to build a good team. That’s how most teams do it that doesn’t have someone named Brady as their Qb.

Patsfans.com "brains" before the Mack trade:

"Smart teams don't pay the highest salaries for players, except the QBs. If you pay top dollar, you kill your depth, and you ruin your salary scale."

Raiders refuse to cave, and trade Mack away rather than overpaying him as the #1 defensive player in the league. Patsfans.com "brains" after the Mack trade:

"Ha ha! Oakland is so stupid. They had a top player and they didn't pay him the $23.5m it took to get him signed, instead taking multiple first round picks in return for a guy in the last year of his deal".

rofl.gif

"Patriots didn't win Super Bowls by enough so Belichick sucks."
"Patriots made Super Bowls but lost some so Belichick sucks."

This is you. This is what you sound like.
Pretty sure I said Belichick was a good coach in the exact post that your quoted.

The point is if Belichick never made a mistake and all his decisions were as good as some on here like to believe why did we lose any games? Coaches don’t win games players do.

Is Khalil Mack the new Darell revis...?

Here's the predictions.. Mack will play just good enough to stay healthy and look at his stats and highlights... Then bears will bail on his contract and send him to next taker of his talents at 21mil per year... (One player out of 11 ,, hmmmmm.. lol) :cool:

He won the Cooks deal but he has lost the Collins, Garoppolo, Jones, and Brissett trades and I don’t even think that is debatable personally.

How exactly did he lose any of those trades ?

I guess you preferred letting Collins, JG and Jones go as FA and maybe get comp picks a year later meaning players like Gilmore would have been impossible to sign because a) we would have had a lot less cap space and b) signing a marquee FA would take away any comp pick.

Please tell me how they were bad trades. We are talking about players who would have not gotten another contract here anyway.

Also I guess you would have preferred for JB to just be cut instead of getting a young WR back that seems to have grown into a starter for this season ? Because that was the trajectory he was on.

This fairy tale of bad trades is getting so tiresome.

Pretty sure I said Belichick was a good coach in the exact post that your quoted.

The point is if Belichick never made a mistake and all his decisions were as good as some on here like to believe why did we lose any games? Coaches don’t win games players do.

Of course Bill has made mistakes.

Brady is the best QB to ever play. That doesn't make him immune to bad games. He makes mistakes too.

No one here has ever said he makes no mistakes. In fact the open minded people who recognize he is flat out the best, consistently say he makes numerous mistakes, but fewer than anyone else.
That “never makes mistakes” bs is just the creation of people who don’t want to look at facts.
Coaches and players win games together, if you don’t understand that, you end up with takes like yours.

Nowhere in my post did I say it wasn't (or was) a mistake. All I said is that BB has explicitly stated his reasoning on how he's going to coach the team and manage his personnel. Same with his defensive philosophy - I prefer pressure defenses, personally, from an excitement/fan point of view.

I also enjoy winning, and BB does that, so grousing over what I consider mistakes is usually kept to a minimum from me (Butler's benching really pushed me, though).

but but but i heard we were going to send them malcom brown, and brian hoyer, and a 4th rounder and that Mack was then going to sign with us for 14 million a year

Draft is a crapshoot. Mack is a certified superstar in the prime of his career. Good trade for the Bears.

The Raiders messed this whole Mack thing up for a while now. They should have approached him a year or so ago, and tried to get him to sign an extension then, while he was still making little on his rookie contract and the Raiders still had control over him for a few more years. By letting him get to his contract year, suddenly his pay jumps to 13 million and now the Raiders are stuck.

Then they turn around and let go of the only real control they had, the fact that Mack was a week away from losing @$800,000 a game. They should have let him either continue to hold out, or risk losing money.

By dealing Mack when they did, Mack, was never at risk for losing any money, and now he can basically bath himself in cash.

The two first round picks seem great, but then you factor in sending a second rd pick back to the Bears. And now the Bears are going to be a .500 team or better, so those picks are not going to be top ten picks.

The Bears won this trade, they could make it because they have a rookie starting QB in year 2 of his rookie deal, so he doesn't have to get paid until 2022. Right now Mack counts @13 million against the Bears cap, which is actually less cap money than what the Pats are paying the McCourty twins.

Of course, if Trubisky gets hurt, or sucks, then the Bears are screwed. But if he stays healthy and performs well, the Bears will be in great shape.

The Raiders, on the other hand, have already waaay overpaid for Carr, and now lost the only real playmaker they had on defense. If they start losing right away, things could get really ugly, really fast in Oakland.

All things being equal, I wished the Pats would have made this trade, (although I doubt the Raiders would have done the same trade with the Pats). I'd take Mack over the McCourty twins, everyday, and twice on Sundays.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back