PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keeping track of the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if they protected the ball they'd only be allowing 18.14 ppg or a TD less a game.

Possibly. I only skimmed the linked piece, so I don't know if Dussault is counting things like the big KCY kick return or Patterson's fumble in the offensive turnovers. But, yeah, if the giveaways stop, the points allowed per game should begin to drop, perhaps dramatically.

Possibly. I only skimmed the linked piece, so I don't know if Dussault is counting things like the big KCY kick return or Patterson's fumble in the offensive turnovers. But, yeah, if the giveaways stop, the points allowed per game should begin to drop, perhaps dramatically.
That should even out with the rate that the defense is turning the opposing offense over, though. The lone very bright spot for this year's unit. They've turned the opposing offense over 14 times (or 16.5% of offensive drives) and yet still post those numbers through the rest of the rankings. Defense's job if the offense turns the ball over is to either stop the opposing offense altogether, turn the ball over, or limit them to a FG. None of the three have been happening enough.

Last edited:
The Pats offense could turn it over on the opponents 1 yard line and the defense could then allow a 99 yard TD pass and people here will be like “you can’t really put that on the defense, the offense put them in a bad spot.”

The Pats offense could turn it over on the opponents 1 yard line and the defense could then allow a 99 yard TD pass and people here will be like “you can’t really put that on the defense, the offense put them in a bad spot.”

Yeah, it's just the same excuses in different formats. In 2011, people were trying to convince themselves that the defense didn't completely suck because the median PPG ranking was in the middle of the pack.

Nobody here with a functioning brain would claim that.

So if they protected the ball they'd only be allowing 18.14 ppg or a TD less a game.

It would no doubt be lower, but I'm not sure you can reasonably take away all 52 points. Chances are on at least some of those drives they would have given up points anyway, even assuming a punt and average field position.

That's a pretty lame strawman. I've never seen anyone (even the biggest homers on this board) claim anything like a 99 yard drive being on anyone but the defense. MAYBE sometimes they blame the refs, but that's it :D

Nah, you’ll hear how the offense was failing to play complimentary football.

I think it's the job of every player, no matter what position he plays, offense, defense or STs, to score points and to stop the other team from scoring. They all represent the team and any points scored or allowed are all that matters.

When the offense or ST's gives up the ball it's the job of the defense to get the ball back or to score points on a pick 6. If they don't then they failed.

This is why I don't care for all the whining about the OT rules. If a team doesn't want to lose on a FG in OT then stop the other team.

I know the offense hasn't exactly been making it easy on the defense with the turnovers lately, but I've also seen times when the offense turned it over and the defense still held things together pretty well. The defense is ranked where they should be.

That said, I think this defense this year has at least been more consistent than it was last year. Might end up in the middle of the pack at the end of the season but that's a good step forward because it will have meant performance didn't fluctuate as much. Consistency is the silver lining I see in this year's performance so far.

It would no doubt be lower, but I'm not sure you can reasonably take away all 52 points. Chances are on at least some of those drives they would have given up points anyway, even assuming a punt and average field position.
I agree. I was just trying to paint a picture. I think we'd all agree if they were on a regular TO pace they would be allowing less points.

Trubisky turning into Vick doesn't have much to do with the athleticism of the front-7. It has a lot more to do with Trubisky very smartly pausing to allow his teammates to get in front of him and set up blocks.
What does Trubisky "very smartly pausing to allow his teammates to get in front of him and set up blocks" have to do with the inexcusable, unprofessionally Horrible angle taken by Clayborn or the thoroughly unsurprising punk-ass Whiffs taken by the craptastic pair of Rowe and Roberts?

As of Week 9:
  1. Points/Game - 12th
  2. YPG - 25th
  3. 3rd down % - 26th
  4. Net passing yards/attempt - 20th
  5. Net rushing yards/attempt - 17th
  6. TO % - 5th
Average = 18th

Opponent offensive rankings (PPG) - UPDATED THROUGH WEEK 8:
  1. Texans - 14th
  2. Jaguars - 29th
  3. Lions - 17th
  4. Dolphins - 22nd
  5. Colts - 6th
  6. Chiefs - 1st
  7. Bears - 9th
  8. Bills - 32nd
Average = 16th

Wow, surprised the Colts are #6 and that the Jags fell all the way down to #29....you wouldn't think it after Bortles scorched our D....

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back