PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keeping track of the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That you’re needing to excuse the performance by citing busted coverages should tell you all you need to know about the performance. They surrendered 40 points at home and 31 in the second half. Nobody should be happy about that performance. Luckily, BB won’t and will get on the team in the film room.

Not making excuses. I said they had two busted coverages. They also had to defend the results of a 97 yard return and a Brady fumble.

I think they have shown improvement every week including last night. The DL looked good, LB's made plays, they forced some turnovers and didn't look lost for a majority of the game against the top scoring offense in the league. Not great but not bad.

Not making excuses. I said they had two busted coverages. They also had to defend the results of a 97 yard return and a Brady fumble.

I think they have shown improvement every week including last night. The DL looked good, LB's made plays, they forced some turnovers and didn't look lost for a majority of the game against the top scoring offense in the league. Not great but not bad.

The short field after the return aside, they were pretty bad in the second half. They were great in the first half, though.

Is there any way to increase the speed in the back-end? Except for Gillmore, the D looked slow. Who could they bring in, if anyone, that could help?

The short field after the return aside, they were pretty bad in the second half. They were great in the first half, though.

Clean up the Brady fumble, the squib kicks and the 97 yard return and it's possibly a 6-14 point swing. Not bad but not great.

Yes they played worse in the second half. But they played better than the 31 points indicate. ST's and a fumble are partially responsible for the 31 points as well.

Anyway, to me, it looks like they're getting better. Do you think this team can contend for a championship? I think they're looking more like they can each week.

Clean up the Brady fumble, the squib kicks and the 97 yard return and it's possibly a 6-14 point swing. Not bad but not great.

Yes they played worse in the second half. But they played better than the 31 points indicate. ST's and a fumble are partially responsible for the 31 points as well.

Anyway, to me, it looks like they're getting better. Do you think this team can contend for a championship? I think they're looking more like they can each week.

I think they can contend as long as they have Brady but the personnel issues on the defensive side of the ball that haunted this team in the first few weeks of the season are still very much there.

They'll absolutely contend for a title. No question.

I also expect the D continuing to improve. Whether it's good enough to make enough key stops along the way is another question

I think they can contend as long as they have Brady but the personnel issues on the defensive side of the ball that haunted this team in the first few weeks of the season are still very much there.

I agree but the DL looked better last night than in weeks 1 and 2. Seemed to get a lot of pressure on Mahomes.

Sucks that Jaylen Smith didn't fall to us a few years ago. He looks great now and so does Vander Esch who the Patriots were interested in this year.

Hmm

How many big chunk opportunities were issued when KC failed to connect with wide open receivers. Yes, some of these were missed because of pressure. Many were mistakes by the QB, mistakes that he didn't make in the 2nd half. Given the play of our defense (great at times), KC could have had a couple of more touchdowns.

But, yes, the front seven is looking much, much better, and the corners are playing well.

I agree but the DL looked better last night than in weeks 1 and 2. Seemed to get a lot of pressure on Mahomes.

Part of that had to do with the way the Patriots were disguising.

The DL and the LB's played well. Hightower, Van Noy and even Roberts played well (a tip for Roberts).

Hey we held Mahomes to 40 burger. Not too shabby.

What the hell was wrong with our kick off decision makers last night??

I thought the defense played ok overall, minus the two blown coverages. Good pressure by the front 7. The score also factored in the Brady fumble and the long kick return. They held Mahomes and team in check in the first half and that's not easy to do.

I think they're quite a bit better than they were last year even without Butler.

I know 40 points look bad, but if we adjust for the Brady turnover and the kick return, the D held them under 30 pts. Patrick Mahomes stats should've been 3 ints.

Is there any way to increase the speed in the back-end? Except for Gillmore, the D looked slow. Who could they bring in, if anyone, that could help?

Dawson

The chiefs only punted once! Once!

The Pats defense is incapable of stopping anyone on 3rd or 4th and less than 3.

No sacks

this will not be the last team to put up a 40burger on this defense

You have a low par for our defense. They ONLY allowed 40 points and allowed a receiver to be wide open for 30+ at least 3 times in the first half?

The defense is improving, but I bet that Belichick will not consider this effort to be "not too shabby".

Also, none of the points against us were in garbage time. The game was always competitive.

Hey we held Mahomes to 40 burger. Not too shabby.

The chiefs only punted once! Once!

The Pats defense is incapable of stopping anyone on 3rd or 4th and less than 3.

No sacks

this will not be the last team to put up a 40burger on this defense

I get that they have no pass rush but the run defense has been so disappointing. Gave up 2 picks for Shelton and he hasn't helped at all.

The defense was good until it wasn't, I guess. 2 great quarters, 1 solid quarter, 1 abysmal quarter. If they hadn't given up that last 12 second touchdown to Hill, I'd probably feel pretty much okay about the defensive performance. Giving up one 50+ yard TD to this Chiefs offense is just what happens, and I can't really blame them for ST basically handing over a touchdown. 2 50+ yard TDs is too much though, against any offense.

I think what we learned as that McCourty can't cover Hill 1 on 1. Which isn't really a revelation. since no one can.

You have a low par for our defense. They ONLY allowed 40 points and allowed a receiver to be wide open for 30+ at least 3 times in the first half?

The defense is improving, but I bet that Belichick will not consider this effort to be "not too shabby".

Also, none of the points against us were in garbage time. The game was always competitive.
I was joking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft