PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keeping track of the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not saying he is playing like Branch in 2015 and 2016. My point was that he is improving from the absolute garbage performances against the Jaguars and Lions. Maybe you have paid more attention to it than I did but how much NT was he really playing ?
I haven’t seen him playing the 0 too much but that’s probably a combo of scheme on top of the team possibly thinking he simply can’t hold up. Whatever the reason, the woes on 3rd and short (opposing offense is converting 100% of them) are directly to blame on Shelton.

Whatever the reason, the woes on 3rd and short (opposing offense is converting 100% of them) are directly to blame on Shelton.

Either you need to be more exact with your language or stop creating whipping boys for a situation where the majority of plays given up is not on that player.

Either you need to be more exact with your language or stop creating whipping boys for a situation where the majority of plays given up is not on that player.
On 3rd and 1-4 yards to go, opponents are breaking off 5 attempts for 5 YPC and 5 first downs on the season. You don't think that the DT that can't hold up against a single guard (let alone demand double teams) has anything to do with that?

Last edited:
On 3rd and 1-4 yards to go, opponents are breaking off 5 attempts for 5 YPC and 5 first downs on the season. You don't think that the DT that can't hold up against a single guard (let alone demand double teams) has anything to do with that?

I don't think you can blame it on one player directly.

I don't think you can blame it on one player directly.

The entire front has been piss poor. But this scheme is entirely reliant on a DT that is able to demand double teams, shed blocks when he's singled, and push the pocket. Shelton has proven to do exactly none of that consistently. Maybe he'll improve but thus far, a poor performance is seen as an improvement from where he is... which is obviously not good. I thought that Brown actually looked like he improved from the Detroit to the Miami game more than Shelton did.

Hard to be flagged with RTP penalties when you don't touch the Passer under any circumstances.

One thing that I actually noticed about Shelton when I was doing the research before dumping on him is that he actually has a pretty good amount of pressures (5 IIRC) on the season. So he sucks at holding up at the point of attack but at least he's having some success there.

And Shelton was on the field for all of those? Seriously, I don't know.

And Shelton was on the field for all of those? Seriously, I don't know.

IIRC, he's been on the field for the majority of the third and 1 situations this year. The only ones he may not have been a part of were vs. Miami, when his snap count dipped. But their third and short situations were mostly picked up via the pass.

IIRC, he's been on the field for the majority of the third and 1 situations this year. The only ones he may not have been a part of were vs. Miami, when his snap count dipped. But their third and short situations were mostly picked up via the pass.

I was just wondering if you'd verified that he was. Third-and-short might be a passing down depending on the specific opponent's situational tendencies and the game circumstances. If the Pats were hedging their bets with a dime package (which the did a lot in the Miami game), it may mean that someone off the line didn't fill a gap properly.

The way I figure it, if an RB gets 1-3 yds past the LoS, that's mostly on the DL. If the guy gets five yards or more, the second-level defenders take some more responsibility.

Despite the 2nd half last night, I think the defense showed promise; showed they CAN play well. Major defensive problems still exist but they aren't beyond repair...

It really was a tale of two halves. The first half defense was phenomenal. They got lit up like a Christmas tree in the second half, though. I'll be updating this tomorrow after the Monday night game is over tonight.

It really was a tale of two halves. The first half defense was phenomenal. They got lit up like a Christmas tree in the second half, though. I'll be updating this tomorrow after the Monday night game is over tonight.

Meh, two broken big plays, a Brady fumble and a 97 yard return. I'd call a decent performance.

Meh, two broken big plays, a Brady fumble and a 97 yard return. I'd call a decent performance.
That you’re needing to excuse the performance by citing busted coverages should tell you all you need to know about the performance. They surrendered 40 points at home and 31 in the second half. Nobody should be happy about that performance. Luckily, BB won’t and will get on the team in the film room.

I cant believe anyone is defending this defense! Did you watch the second half? Luckily the Pats gave KC a few shorts fields so that KC didn't use up all of the clock scoring.

For years, people have been giv9ing the excuse that McCourty (the overpaid one) doesn't make any big plays is because he is making sure they "don't give up the big play". Well they gave up a ton last night. The secondary is just god awful. Gilmore is the only one worth anything. Combine that with a front seven that gets no pressure on the QB, and you get 31 points given up in a half!

I don't see how this gets any better except with an infusion of talent. Maybe if Clayborn would rush at the QB instead of five yards behind him, that might help.

I can't wait to watch the great Mitchell Trubisky light them up next Sunday.

I think KC is one of the best offensive , most talented in the league and Chumley knows how attack a BB D.

Couple that with a marginally talented Pat's D and scoring league wide up 12% due to the new rules and giving up 40 is not shocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots