PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keeping track of the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots, to date, are allowing 4.9 yards per rushing attempt. I'd have to look it up, but I believe that might be one of the worst totals to this point in the season a Belichick Pats defense has had.

The Patriots, to date, are allowing 4.9 yards per rushing attempt. I'd have to look it up, but I believe that might be one of the worst totals to this point in the season a Belichick Pats defense has had.

Luuked will be here momentarily, to explain to us all how that's the fault of the offense, and particularly Brady.

As of Week 15:
  1. Points/Game - 12th
  2. YPG - 22nd
  3. 3rd down % - 24th
  4. Net passing yards/attempt - 15th
  5. Net rushing yards/attempt - 28th (ouch)
  6. TO % - 12th
Average = 19th

Opponent offensive rankings (PPG) - UPDATED THROUGH WEEK 14:
  1. Texans - 12th
  2. Jaguars - 30th
  3. Lions - 25th
  4. Dolphins - 22nd
  5. Colts - 8th
  6. Chiefs - 1st
  7. Bears - 7th
  8. Bills - 31st
  9. Packers - 15th
  10. Titans - 27th
  11. Jets - 26th
  12. Vikings - 20th
  13. Dolphins - 22nd
Average = 19th

Tough to make those numbers look palatable in any way. I keep telling myself that removing a few busted plays would make everything look better, but the problem is that those plays keep happening -- at this point in the season, I think that's just their identity. Outside of an overhaul (hit in the draft, bring in some FAs), I don't see that changing significantly.

On the plus side, in today's NFL, they still have a shot at a championship if they can generate turnovers in the playoffs. I don't expect a smothering unit, but a few TOs and Brady magic . . . o_O

As I predicted in the off season, this D line will get blown up like it did in 2002. I didn't think they'd be this bad against the run though. This is worse than 2002!

I also thought this because contracts were expiring and the Pats would let them walk if they had a season like this. Claybourne will be cut. That $6M is too steep for him to rush ghosts. I think they will have an entirely new starting D line next year. I saw you had said this recently as well.

Tough to make those numbers look palatable in any way. I keep telling myself that removing a few busted plays would make everything look better, but the problem is that those plays keep happening -- at this point in the season, I think that's just their identity. Outside of an overhaul (hit in the draft, bring in some FAs), I don't see that changing significantly.

On the plus side, in today's NFL, they still have a shot at a championship if they can generate turnovers in the playoffs. I don't expect a smothering unit, but a few TOs and Brady magic . . . o_O

Right. I wouldn't have a problem with the overly scared/cautious/conservative approach that they take against mobile QBs as long as they can limit big plays through the air. The problem is, they haven't been able to do that either. So the defense is next to useless when they play those types of offenses.

So I've been a fan since about '95. Seen some good defenses and some bad ones. I'm not from the New England area, and I've actually never been there so I don't get to hear the radio shows and water cooler talk that a lot of you are regularly exposed to. So here's my question.

What is it exactly about the defense that's the most flawed? I keep hearing things like "they don't have good enough athletes on defense." Which is probably true, but can you be more specific? Are they lacking physical strength where a big physical O-Line pushes them around? Are the players lacking in intelligence and awareness to be in the right spot at the right time? Are they lacking good fundamentals in tackling and so forth? Do they lack footspeed or lateral quickness which cripples them in the coverage game?

Be as specific as possible. I know football fairly well but not as well as some of you do I'm sure. So enlighten me, what are the biggest problems with this defense? How can they improve, both this year and going forward?

So I've been a fan since about '95. Seen some good defenses and some bad ones. I'm not from the New England area, and I've actually never been there so I don't get to hear the radio shows and water cooler talk that a lot of you are regularly exposed to. So here's my question.

What is it exactly about the defense that's the most flawed? I keep hearing things like "they don't have good enough athletes on defense." Which is probably true, but can you be more specific? Are they lacking physical strength where a big physical O-Line pushes them around? Are the players lacking in intelligence and awareness to be in the right spot at the right time? Are they lacking good fundamentals in tackling and so forth? Do they lack footspeed or lateral quickness which cripples them in the coverage game?

Be as specific as possible. I know football fairly well but not as well as some of you do I'm sure. So enlighten me, what are the biggest problems with this defense? How can they improve, both this year and going forward?

This stuff's been gone over time after time, so why don't you start by laying out some of your own observations about the defense?

This stuff's been gone over time after time, so why don't you start by laying out some of your own observations about the defense?

Ok. I think they have the talent in some positions but not in others. I think they play with more passion and fire at home, more acting and less reacting. I agree with playing too conservative with running QBs. Any QB in the NFL will find an open receiver if he has a clean pocket and is throwing against a passive zone. I don't think the Patriots defense is awful per se. I think they're awful sometimes, but pretty effective in others. They looked pretty good against Green Bay and Minnesota, but obviously not so good against Jacksonville and at Miami. The key may be more mental than physical. Getting the team to play with the same passion and fire in away games as it does in Foxborough.

It's not one of the better defenses in the BB/TB12 era, but I certainly believe it's better than some units they've put out there since 2001. The key is probably a combination of better coaching/strategy, the right mindset, and above all else, always making sure that they play with good fundamentals.

Ok. I think they have the talent in some positions but not in others. I think they play with more passion and fire at home, more acting and less reacting. I agree with playing too conservative with running QBs. Any QB in the NFL will find an open receiver if he has a clean pocket and is throwing against a passive zone. I don't think the Patriots defense is awful per se. I think they're awful sometimes, but pretty effective in others. They looked pretty good against Green Bay and Minnesota, but obviously not so good against Jacksonville and at Miami. The key may be more mental than physical. Getting the team to play with the same passion and fire in away games as it does in Foxborough.

It's not one of the better defenses in the BB/TB12 era, but I certainly believe it's better than some units they've put out there since 2001. The key is probably a combination of better coaching/strategy, the right mindset, and above all else, always making sure that they play with good fundamentals.

Disregarding the coaching changes for the moment, just so we can achieve a baseline for discussion, I think most people would acknowledge that, coming off of last year, they needed to upgrade at:

DE
DT
LB (especially coverage)

and they needed to at least maintain at

S
CB

Of those needs, which would you say have been met, and met sufficiently to have solved or avoided the problems being dealt with?

Disregarding the coaching changes for the moment, just so we can achieve a baseline for discussion, I think most people would acknowledge that, coming off of last year, they needed to upgrade at:

DE
DT
LB (especially coverage)

S
CB

Of those needs, which would you say have been met, and met sufficiently to have solved or avoided the problems being dealt with?

Well they added Adrian Clayborn, that's about the only notable defensive roster change I saw from last year. He's been kind of a disappointment, only 2.5 sacks through 13 games. The other positions they didn't really change. I think Stephon Gilmore is having a better year than last year, but the McCourty's are kind of hit or miss, and the LB crew is inconsistent too, with things like tackling, coverage, positional play etc.

The biggest weakness overall is probably the front 7. So no, I don't really think they upgraded any of these positions that you mentioned. The most consistent thing about the defense, is that they're inconsistent.

DE
DT
LB (especially coverage)

S
CB

DE - Clayborn - he's been alright but hasn't produced like we hoped he would.
DT - Shelton - perceived to be a big run-stuffer in the middle, but he's been a disappointment.
LB - Bentley looked like he was going to be terrific, then got hurt. Unlucky. Plus, Hightower has gotten better as the season's gone on.
S - Safety has been fine, adding Melifonwu was a solid move.
CB - Jason McCourty has been solid. JC Jackson has been pretty good and looks like a real find.

So some good and some not so good. As is almost always the case.

That is amazingly bad. I keep coming around to the belief that BB has let too many good defenders go to other teams.

Malcom Brown, Jordan Richards, Geneo Grissom, Cyrus Jones, Vincent Valentine, Derek Rivers, Duke Dawson.

All of their picks from the first three rounds in recent drafts. It's not hard to figure out why they suck on defense. Plus the free agent "acquisitions" like Danny Shelton.

Reportedly, David Price picked another fight with Dennis Eckersley after Eck looked at the recent Patriots drafts and went "Yuck!"

DE - Clayborn - he's been alright but hasn't produced like we hoped he would.
DT - Shelton - perceived to be a big run-stuffer in the middle, but he's been a disappointment.
LB - Bentley looked like he was going to be terrific, then got hurt. Unlucky. Plus, Hightower has gotten better as the season's gone on.
S - Safety has been fine, adding Melifonwu was a solid move.
CB - Jason McCourty has been solid. JC Jackson has been pretty good and looks like a real find.

So some good and some not so good. As is almost always the case.

You're an easy grader.

As I predicted in the off season, this D line will get blown up like it did in 2002. I didn't think they'd be this bad against the run though. This is worse than 2002!

I also thought this because contracts were expiring and the Pats would let them walk if they had a season like this. Claybourne will be cut. That $6M is too steep for him to rush ghosts. I think they will have an entirely new starting D line next year. I saw you had said this recently as well.
Clayborn has not played well. He’s so long gone for 2019 that he should be living out of a suitcase, this far in advance. He’d probably be gone if his salary were 50% of what it will be.

Well they added Adrian Clayborn, that's about the only notable defensive roster change I saw from last year. He's been kind of a disappointment, only 2.5 sacks through 13 games. The other positions they didn't really change. I think Stephon Gilmore is having a better year than last year, but the McCourty's are kind of hit or miss, and the LB crew is inconsistent too, with things like tackling, coverage, positional play etc.

The biggest weakness overall is probably the front 7. So no, I don't really think they upgraded any of these positions that you mentioned. The most consistent thing about the defense, is that they're inconsistent.

So, if we're looking at a defense where the prime DT addition (Shelton) has been a complete bust to date, the prime DE addition (Clyborn) has been a disappointment to date, there's not been any upgrade at LB, and most of the DBs have stayed level or declined, I think we can start with personnel acquisition and/or development being a major part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back