PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Keep Revis and pay the $20M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giants ran 71 offensive plays and had the ball for 37:05 in 46. That D was very gassed. They allowed points on 3 of the Gs last 4 possessions. Pats didn't score on their last 4.

Yes - to complete the picture, in SB 49, NE had the ball 33:46 - so there was something in the tank that could have turned to fumes with another 4 minutes on the field. But there's also the 2014 team's response to adversity (remember, this SB was a comeback victory from 10 down.) We punched ourselves in the nads at the end of the first half and in the 3rd quarter (three straight Seattle scores), but owned the 4th. But the time "THE PLAY" happened, it was our miracle comeback to lose.... to a miracle catch, as it almost happened. But they were primed, alert, and ready to make the miracle interception.

Hey Pete Carroll... if your philosophy is "we show what we have, it's your job to stop it"? Apparently you'd run that rub route before. Browner's arms were out before the ball was in Wilson's hands, getting the jam on Kearse, making it impossible for him to be out of Lockette's way, forcing a horizontal step and facilitating Butler's path to the ball. Butler was a guided missile. So much to that one play. But they had the gas in the tank to make it.

In 42 they allowed 2 80+ yd drives in the 4th qtr. Very possible that they were cooked.

All I can think when I actually go back to those games, is BB/Brady-era Pats with 6 rings, including a perfect season. Wahhhhh!

The difference between 2014 and 2011 was a healthy Gronk and not having a Welker that drops game sealing TD throws.

The difference between 2014 and 2011/2012/2013.......is a healthy Gronk

A healthy Gronk in SB XLVI and that game is over by half time. Does anyone seriously think that Chase Blackburn stays with a healthy Gronk and intercepts a pass?

How come "Super Bowl" caliber defenses in 2001 and 2003 were presented with the chance to close out their games and promptly got shredded down the field and allowed game tying TD'S?

In the end, it comes down to making a play when the play needs to be made. Welker didn't, Samuel didn't.....Butler did.

Playing "aggressive" or "to win" is simply mindless and has nothing to do with it.

Early in the year, I was the voice of Gronk doom. My mantra was "until he shows otherwise he will not be there - or not healthy - in the SB. You just have to plan for that." I am very glad I was wrong.

My issue is waive Dennard
He is an enigma. Was he injured thru 2014 or has he regressed to the mean? I don't know.
Were Revis to leave, we need CBs and Den played like one 2 years ago.

That's why I'm not blasé about waiving the guy. Obviously BB is in the know.

I think many here agree with you.

As much as we don't want to picture a CB corps without Revis, it still remains a possibility. That said, having Browner on one side with some combination of Dennard, Butler, Arrington, and Ryan (plus a potential draft pick in the higher rounds), makes it somewhat reasonable that we could still field something halfway competitive.

I think many here agree with you.

As much as we don't want to picture a CB corps without Revis, it still remains a possibility. That said, having Browner on one side with some combination of Dennard, Butler, Arrington, and Ryan (plus a potential draft pick in the higher rounds), makes it somewhat reasonable that we could still field something halfway competitive.
We also saw the importance of quality CB depth in the Super Bowl. Arrington was brilliant against the Colts and beaten like a rented mule in the SB. In comes Malcolm Butler. Dennard in the mix pushes Logan Ryan down one more position and let's face it, Dennard's best > Ryan's best.

We also saw the importance of quality CB depth in the Super Bowl. Arrington was brilliant against the Colts and beaten like a rented mule in the SB. In comes Malcolm Butler. Dennard in the mix pushes Logan Ryan down one more position and let's face it, Dennard's best > Ryan's best.

Yep. I think the potential cap savings is still small enough that they could afford to sit on Dennard for awhile, in a hopeful attempt to see whether or not the "real" Dennard can please stand up.

Unless of course, there's something more to it that we just don't know about, and/or Revis re-signs, then it would become a larger possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents