PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just saying Broncos fans....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you kidding? Elway is a deity in Denver. They don't realize that they won their SBs because of Terrell Davis and not Elway.

For *some* of us in Denver, Elway's behavior WRT Tebow has tarnished his "diety" image in Denver.

Elway will always be the guy who led the team to its first Super Bowl victory. And for cripes sake, he took Denver to no less than 5 Super Bowls.

But being a great, HOF QB does not necessarily make him a good front office guy. In fact, Elway is even more "The Rookie" than Tebow is. Elway has regularly put his foot in his mouth with his constant public statements questioning whether Tebow is Denver's QBOTF.

Now, Tebow may not be that guy, but either way, Elway should just shut his yapper and speak in well-worn cliches: "We're just excited about today, and that's what we're focusing on. Not tomorrow."

For *some* of us in Denver, Elway's behavior WRT Tebow has tarnished his "diety" image in Denver.

Elway will always be the guy who led the team to its first Super Bowl victory. And for cripes sake, he took Denver to no less than 5 Super Bowls.

But being a great, HOF QB does not necessarily make him a good front office guy. In fact, Elway is even more "The Rookie" than Tebow is. Elway has regularly put his foot in his mouth with his constant public statements questioning whether Tebow is Denver's QBOTF.

Now, Tebow may not be that guy, but either way, Elway should just shut his yapper and speak in well-worn cliches: "We're just excited about today, and that's what we're focusing on. Not tomorrow."

You speak the truth, good for you, sir.

I remember watching him play, he was any not more impressive than Jim Kelly or Warren Moon in my opinion. But what do I know? With all due respect I apologize for this thread but some of your fellow fans are a bit irrational.

Irrational is comparing Elway to Bledsoe or in another thread someone comparing Tebow to Ray Lucas.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but you cannot simply count the number of wins, ignore win percentage, and postseason, and call it a day.
While the stats posted seem to lead to the conclusion the OP wanted, its a silly point that ignores the changes in era, rules, etc.
But to say the second most wins is a finite argument is just as silly.

I should correct myself. ALMOST AS silly because the OP is certainly sillier.
IOW, Elway is closer to second best ever than to Drew Bledsoe, and thats not even debatable.

Irrational is comparing Elway to Bledsoe or in another thread someone comparing Tebow to Ray Lucas.

Tebow and Lucas are not comaparable players but the quality of their play in those seasons is very comparable, and in fact, Lucas played better. That doesn't mean Tebow will not exceed Lucas' effort of doing absolutely nothing else for the rest of his career, but for those seasons, it is what it is.

The Bledsoe thing was supposed to be a slap in the face...I guess it worked. LOL. Sorry. But the TD/INT numbers and comp percentage are close?

:D

Tebow and Lucas are not comaparable players but the quality of their play in those seasons is very comparable, and in fact, Lucas played better. That doesn't mean Tebow will not exceed Lucas' effort of doing absolutely nothing else for the rest of his career, but for those seasons, it is what it is.

Tebow is built like a truck through. Lucas more of a mini cooper.

Bledsoe's got HOF numbers, so it's not exactly an insult, although Elway's clearly the better QB. Elway's a top 5-15 QB, likely in the 10-15 range. There's no shame in that, but putting him in the GOAT conversation is overrating him. The top 6 of all time are pretty clear, IMO:

(In no particular order)
Brady
Montana
Baugh
Graham
Unitas
Starr

It seems to me the real jockeying starts after that.

Last edited:
This thread sucks.

Most of the Broncos fans that have been here have been great.

And I like Drew but anyone who would take Bledsoe over Elway needs help.

this x100 :bricks:

I remember watching him play, he was any not more impressive than Jim Kelly or Warren Moon in my opinion. But what do I know? With all due respect I apologize for this thread but some of your fellow fans are a bit irrational.

The thread is skewed a bit. Not to get in a pissing match with our own here but Elway was one of the greatest to ever walk on a football field. The original post fails to mention Elway's 3,407 rushing yards as well as his 33 rushing TD's + his 1 receiving TD. He was an exciting football player to watch even when his team was getting it's arse handed to them.

Bledsoe's got HOF numbers, so it's not exactly an insult, although Elway's clearly the better QB. Elway's a top 5-15 QB, likely in the 10-15 range. There's no shame in that, but putting him in the GOAT conversation is overrating him. The top 6 of all time are pretty clear, IMO:

(In no particular order)
Brady
Montana
Baugh
Graham
Unitas
Starr

Where is Steve Young?!?!? I think he belongs there, no?

(In no particular order)
Brady
Montana
Baugh
Graham
Unitas
Starr

I'd putting Peyton up there.

Now I need a shower.

What is the most important thing in football??

Wins. Elway is number 2 all time behind a QB that refused to retire.

When it is all said and done, Brady will probably be considered the greatest of all time, until then show a little respect.

Bledsoe should never be mentioned in the same breath as Elway. If you actually remeber seeing Elway play you would realize this.

Wins are the most incorrect way to judge a player's talent level. It's like judging a starting pitcher by Wins rather than all the other more important numbers.

Wins have more to do with the TEAM around you. Not just your individual abilities.

Elway is closer to Bledsoe's ability as a QB than he is to Brady's ability as a QB, and honestly there's really no debate there.

Is Trend Dilfer better than Marino cause he won a Superbowl? Negative.

People need to stop judging players talents off of just wins.

You wrote this long post, but couldn't manage to write out those 5 words?

Last edited:
Sorry. Having watched Elway carve the Patriots into steaks repeatedly, and dreading seeing him on the field, it is ridiculous to pick random stats and say he is not in the conversation as one of the greats. I like Bledsoe, but Elway was infinitely better. The season passing yardage mark was crushed by 2 QBs this year, so it is safe to assume the game has changed a bit since Elway played, and that you cannot simply compare basic numbers. I will assume you are either (1) delusional or (2) antagonizing Broncos fans in making your argument.

In an era of NFC dominance, he appeared in 5 title games. That ain't hay. Crappy QBs tend not to see 2 appearances, so assume 5 means you have legitimate skills and earned your way to the Hall of Fame, as Elway did.

Where is Steve Young?!?!? I think he belongs there, no?

7-17

Staubach
Young
Manning
Elway
Marino
Favre
Bradshaw
Jurgensen
Tittle
Van Brocklin
Luckman

There's probably one or two I've missed, but I think we're pretty much looking at a solid top 20 no matter who you add in after that, as long as it's reasonable. Gotta figure a guy like Brees will be in the discussion for those next 3 spots, especially if he has a good postseason, for example.

Just my take... Others' mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Wins are the most incorrect way to judge a player's talent level. It's like judging a starting pitcher by Wins rather than all the other more important numbers.

Wins have more to do with the TEAM around you. Not just your individual abilities.

Elway is closer to Bledsoe's ability as a QB than he is to Brady's ability as a QB, and honestly there's really no debate there.

Is Trend Dilfer better than Marino cause he won a Superbowl? Negative.

People need to stop judging players talents off of just wins.

I agree to an extent. Football is the ultimate team game but in this league QB's get all of the praise and all of the blame. It comes with the territory.

When analyzing Elway's play I used my eyes and actually watched him play. Probably something you didn't do. That's the only way I can rationalize your comments.

What is the most important thing in football??

Wins. Elway is number 2 all time behind a QB that refused to retire.

When it is all said and done, Brady will probably be considered the greatest of all time, until then show a little respect.

Bledsoe should never be mentioned in the same breath as Elway. If you actually remeber seeing Elway play you would realize this.

Wins are important. "We-play-TO-WIN-the-game!"

But let's be honest. Only 1 team can win each year; 31 teams don't win. So if winning is your only measuring stick, then more times than not you're going to be disappointed.

New England is on a roll now because you have a HOF QB taking the snaps, just like Denver did with Elway for 17 years. But eventually, Brady will retire. At that point, memorable games (win or lose) will also become important. Some of the most memorable regular season games from Elway's career were LOSSES to Kansas City and Oakland.

Yeah, we lost in the final minutes, but the games ebbed and flowed and were at least memorable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents