PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Just saw Tedy about the trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll believe pretty much anything Tedy has to say about the Pats organization.

I liked Moss, was very happy when they acquired him, thrilled with his performance in 2007, pleased with the way he played with Cassell in 2008, and reasonably satisfied last season. I was just "OK" with what I saw from him so far this season. Yes, I hate to see him gone and don't think they are a better team today than they were yesterday.

It did not take me very long, however, to understand why this makes a lot of sense for the Pats, even for this year.

For starters, one thing I definitely did not like about his performance, including in 2007, was how it always seemed to slow down later in the season and in the playoffs. Even in his prime this pattern played out with him every year. Frankly I expected this to be the case this year also, and keeping in mind that someone, or more likelhy a combination of someones, will take his spot, I think it is very questionable to believe that they will be losing significant production.

Second, looking at his overall production for the 4 games he played so far this year, I have to conclude that he is not nearly the player he was even 2 years ago, and that at 33 years of age it is very unrealistic to expect Moss to ever play like that again. He is a diminishing asset, probably diminishing at a faster rate than many of us suspect (since we are looking at his past and not what the coaches see on game tape and every day in camp and practice). Like it or not, all teams make moves like this, trying to maximize the return they get for their assets. It is rather obvious to me that he would be difficult to sign after this year, and thus I think the money is better spent elsewhere, so it is great that they got more value in return for him now than they would have gotten if they held onto him and he walked after the year.

Third, I think there is considerable reason to believe Bruschi and Brown, and others, about the rumors of Moss' discontent. We are all familiar with his history, it is a very long history of this type of thing, and his meltdown after Game 1 validates this rumor significantly in my opinion.

:welcome: you have wisdom, padawan

I trust Bruschi over any supposed media "expert".

Absolutely.

Last edited:
Troy just echoed Tedy's comments that he thinks the offense could be better without Moss and Brady looking for multiple receiving options rather than relying on Moss.

I know I cringed every time Brady went for the bomb with him lately. I expected an int and it was as if Brady were tossing him a bone. Not sure if it was that Brady lost it or not.

I second this sentiment. Tedy is of the stature, extremely well deserved stature, that his words on the Patriots are sacrosanct. I'd go so far as to say if Tedy says it, I'd need very solid evidence to the contrary before I wouldn't believe Tedy. The guy has earned it to the Nth degree. If Tedy says Moss had become a negative in the locker room, Moss had to go. I, though, think we gave him away too cheaply.

Did an OP actually infer SMY's word over Tedy? LOL, you've got to be absolutely friggin kidding me!

Absolutely.....you know he still has contacts and respect from that locker room......and the true scoop.

I think the potential shown by the Pats TE's made this an easy decision for Bellichek. I expect to see a lot of Gronkowski and Hernandez in the future.

Maybe this has been mentioned but did anyone else see Channle 5's story on the trade that mentioned that Moss yelled at QB Coach O'Brien in front of other players during halftime of the Dolphins game? Just more reason.

The offense doesn't need Moss to win games. We saw that Monday night when Moss registered 0 catches and the offense still had no problem moving the ball. Welker doesn't need Moss to get open. He will still catch 90 balls. Hernandez looks to be a future pro bowler, and Tate has shown a lot of promise so far this year. This is a much better group than Brady had in 06. Moss hasn't done anything in the 2nd halves of games the past year and 4 games. Seems logical to me to divvy up a slice for him of the metaphorical blame pie if the 2nd best receiver of all-time all of a sudden disappears in the 2nd half of games and in the playoffs.

I'm still expecting a deep playoff run from this team. Would not be surprised at all to see us make the AFCCG. Brady's favorite receiver will once again be the open receiver, and he doesn't have to cater to Randy anymore.

I second this sentiment. Tedy is of the stature, extremely well deserved stature, that his words on the Patriots are sacrosanct. I'd go so far as to say if Tedy says it, I'd need very solid evidence to the contrary before I wouldn't believe Tedy. The guy has earned it to the Nth degree. If Tedy says Moss had become a negative in the locker room, Moss had to go. I, though, think we gave him away too cheaply.

Theres a reason why we got him for only a 4th, he's now 3 years older, maybe a step slower and still as immature as he was back then.

Now that Moss is shipped off to Minn, What I will remember most is that unbelievable one-handed TD catch over Revis in NY............

I would have liked to get a player this year, as opposed to a pick next, but it is what it is......

See ya Randy, thanks for all the highlight catches.....:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back