PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels News and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious about your “alpha” label.

Disclosure: Every opinion I’ve formulated regarding NE is based on my limited vantage point (50” plasma :) when my alphette wife allows me big TV privileges), perusing PatsFans.com, and maintaining a mindset that isn’t exclusive to the Pats Good/ World Bad group think.

I haven’t been to training camps
I don’t get to see Josh in team meetings and how he interacts with offensive players.
In fact the only image any TV viewer ever sees of Josh McDaniels is sitting on the bench either talking with Brady in a partnership role or with his head down looking at photocopies of defensive deployments.
I can’t remember ever seeing images of Josh gathering his offensive players and holding court BB-style.

Based on my limited vantage point and only being fed what the CBS control booth chooses me to see, my first choice description of Josh would be “cerebral”... not “alpha”.

What am I not seeing?
You are not seeing that every coach and player at that level has ridiculous amounts of confidence in themselves. How many times has a coach “thought they could change” a player ? They are like the ultimate “it’ll be different with me” types.

I wasn’t talking about Josh in particular. I should have said : those types of coaches at the highest levels usually have such high confidence that they sometimes don’t realize a situation can’t be fixed.

Josh entertaining opportunities elsewhere might be another sign that Tom is gone at the end of the season as well.

If Josh is doing one to three interviews this week then I expect the team to lose on Saturday.

I guess he was full of **** when he said this during a conference call on Monday:
He’s doing zero interviews this week. That’s the rule. Assistants on a bye can be interviewed this week, but assistants on teams playing this week don’t interview until next week.

With the game being on Saturday, I'd guess he'd interview on Sunday, win or loss, and be back to work on Monday (if a win).

As to "lining up assistants"...

Josh is doing a job interview. They will want to know what kind of staff he envisions, and will want him to name names, even if those names are tentative. So of course Josh (or more likely, his agent) has had a conversation with several guys, asking if there is a possibility they'd join him and if it is OK to put their name out there, under confidence, to the Browns.

If Josh goes, keeping Brady is pointless ..... in fact, it gives everyone an easy way out without much hub bub

I wonder who is gonna be our OC in 2020.

He’s doing zero interviews this week. That’s the rule. Assistants on a bye can be interviewed this week, but assistants on teams playing this week don’t interview until next week.

Personally, I think coaches on teams who are in the playoffs should be banned from interviewing until after their season is done...Josh preparing for an interview with the Browns next week when our offense has struggled is not a great thing.

You are not seeing that every coach and player at that level has ridiculous amounts of confidence in themselves. How many times has a coach “thought they could change” a player ? They are like the ultimate “it’ll be different with me” types.

I wasn’t talking about Josh in particular. I should have said : those types of coaches at the highest levels usually have such high confidence that they sometimes don’t realize a situation can’t be fixed.
upload_2020-1-2_10-28-53.png

Personally, I think coaches on teams who are in the playoffs should be banned from interviewing until after their season is done...Josh preparing for an interview with the Browns next week when our offense has struggled is not a great thing.

From our vantage point, that makes sense. But there is not enough time in the off-season for the “have not“ teams to be able to recruit and hire talented coaches in preparation for the draft, free agency, etc.
It sucks for the playoffs teams.

I think McD will "go home" to the Browns, especially with Dorsey gone. Then he can get Cesario or Pioli as his GM. As for the Pats OC, I would look at former vet QBs, like Kitna (let go by the Cowboys).

still a distraction

That's horribly unfair to coaches on playoff teams. No reason to screw them over.

The rule should be no interviews for anyone, on playoff teams or not, until two days after the Superbowl.

Because the coach is under a contract, teams need to adhere to the Rooney Rule, log it with the league to ensure there aren't any violations and it's a promotion
Ok, so its not really a request for permission but a notification then.

still a distraction
Too bad. I'm never going to fault a player or assistant coach in the NFL for looking out for himself.

You've never taken time away from your job to do a job interview when something good comes along? Really?

When Josh leaves...
List of OC's to consider ( realize a big name is unlikely)

O'Shea, Judge, Jay Gruden, Dirk Koetter, Shurmer, Kitchens, Halfert, Jason Garrett (not official yet), Joe Brady (pipe dream), Jim Caldwell, Brian Daboll (would he consider coming back)

I think If Judge and O'Shea are not brought in, Pat Shurmur might be a very good hire.

That's horribly unfair to coaches on playoff teams. No reason to screw them over.

The rule should be no interviews for anyone, on playoff teams or not, until two days after the Superbowl.
Not during the week when I had a big deliverable due, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST