PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Josh McDaniels News and Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way he is going to interview for that job is if they lose on Saturday. I can't see the Pats allowing that kind of distraction with an elimination game looming on Saturday. Kind of sets up a perverse incentive for Josh to replicate the game plan from Week 17.
Since it's a promotion I doubt NE is allowed to refuse to give permission.

WEEI saying source indicating right now Josh to Cleveland is done deal.

NBC Sports Boston said he is already lining up assistants he wants to take with him to cleveland.
Another distraction for the Patriots during a key week of preparation. I am assuming and speculating that his offensive players who respect and like him will be disappointed about this. Let's hope this does not hurt their intensity and execution level on Saturday night. In my view it would be surprising if these rumors do not negatively impact the O's performance.

Hope I am wrong

NBC Sports Boston said he is already lining up assistants he wants to take with him to cleveland.
Another distraction for the Patriots during a key week of preparation. I am assuming and speculating that his offensive players who respect and like him will be disappointed about this. Let's hope this does not hurt their intensity and execution level on Saturday night. In my view it would be surprising if these rumors do not negatively impact the O's performance.

Hope I am wrong

They have been through this dance of interviews while preparing for the playoffs how many times now ? If this was someone who is doing for the first time like Judge now or Flores 2 years ago -- when Arizona interviewed him before he even was a DC -- I can see how it would be a distraction.

But for someone who does it every year like McDaniels ?

If the offense sucks this Saturday it will not be because the OC had interviews lined up but more likely either their gameplan was **** (which it was a couple times this year already), execution failed (which also happened often enough) with an outside chance of "screwed by the bounces/refs" if its very tight. No additional narratives or reasons necessary.

Last edited:

Hope I am wrong
Meh.

The article did not say members of the current staff. I bet he's had some side conversations and they'll have zero impact on the game.

....and it's Breer doing the reporting who is in the same category as LaCanfora

We might really be stuck with O’Shea running this offense.
Who ever mentioned Charlie Weis I am not opposed to it.
My 2 picks Kellen Moore looks to be wanted in Dallas again and Rivera said he public ally. he wants to work with O’Connell.
Would it be a terrible idea to try to get Art Briles if we really want Stidham to be the guy?

Meh.

The article did not say members of the current staff. I bet he's had some side conversations and they'll have zero impact on the game.

....and it's Breer doing the reporting who is in the same category as LaCanfora

Could be trying to poach from Miami.

The team will go on w/o him - just like it keeps rolling with changes every season.

Here is what I am curious about : while I understand the upside (hometown, weapons), I can’t help but think about all the disadvantages. That is a dumpster fire of a team for decades. Not only does losing permeate the building, but the owners are absolute trash. Furthermore, while NE has leaders, Cleveland is full of loudmouth losers like Mayfield & OBJ who - while talented - are always spewing garbage about their teammates, coaches, and city to the media.

Josh is clearly an alpha with confidence. Maybe he changes the culture. He can have that job. I’d not touch with 10 foot pole.

I continue to think McDaniels would be commuting career suicide by going to Cleveland. Haslam listens to too many people and runs a dysfunctional organization. That organization is a black hole that destroys the career of everyone who joins it. Look at Dorsey’s reputation before joining Cleveland...

Carolina is the far better position. Josh should be all in on it.

I continue to think McDaniels would be commuting career suicide by going to Cleveland. Haslam listens to too many people and runs a dysfunctional organization. That organization is a black hole that destroys the career of everyone who joins it. Look at Dorsey’s reputation before joining Cleveland...

Carolina is the fat better position. Josh should be all in on it.
Agree

Read this am Fast Jimmy Haslem still wants Moneyball DePodesta to have equal say in football decisions as GM and he lives in LA still and ain't moving to CLE.

I can't see that as workable or agreeable to Josh.

Agree

Read this am Fast Jimmy Haslem still wants Moneyball DePodesta to have equal say in football decisions as GM and he lives in LA still and ain't moving to CLE.

I can't see that as workable or agreeable to Josh.
Unless Josh badly wants to play with all the offensive toys

Josh is clearly an alpha with confidence.
Curious about your “alpha” label.

Disclosure: Every opinion I’ve formulated regarding NE is based on my limited vantage point (50” plasma :) when my alphette wife allows me big TV privileges), perusing PatsFans.com, and maintaining a mindset that isn’t exclusive to the Pats Good/ World Bad group think.

I haven’t been to training camps
I don’t get to see Josh in team meetings and how he interacts with offensive players.
In fact the only image any TV viewer ever sees of Josh McDaniels is sitting on the bench either talking with Brady in a partnership role or with his head down looking at photocopies of defensive deployments.
I can’t remember ever seeing images of Josh gathering his offensive players and holding court BB-style.

Based on my limited vantage point and only being fed what the CBS control booth chooses me to see, my first choice description of Josh would be “cerebral”... not “alpha”.

What am I not seeing?

Last edited:
Then why were the teams asking for permission?
Because the coach is under a contract, teams need to adhere to the Rooney Rule, log it with the league to ensure there aren't any violations and it's a promotion

If Josh is doing one to three interviews this week then I expect the team to lose on Saturday.

I guess he was full of **** when he said this during a conference call on Monday:

I’m 100 percent fully invested in getting ready for Tennessee and trying to put our best performance of the season out there on Saturday night,” McDaniels said, transcribed by NESN. “We have a lot of work to do. That’s where my focus will be. That’s where it’s at now and it’ll stay there. That’s the best thing for our team. It’s the best thing for me. We’re one of 12 teams that have an opportunity to compete in the postseason. And that’s the only way I’ll ever do it.

Josh is a coach with loser mentality. He's nothing without tb12. Josh will flame out yet again.

Josh is a coach with loser mentality. He's nothing without tb12. Josh will flame out yet again.

Yeah. Brady and BB are known to surround themselves with losers, people without mental toughness and defeatist attitudes.

Starting off the New Year with a positive take.

I like the new you. Why do people say you’re a troll. I don’t get it.

I think Cleveland is only a dumpster fire because of the way Kitchens ran the ship. That being said, is McDaniels one of those no-nonsense guys to straighten that team out? He did not seem so in Denver.

I'm of two minds McDaniels leaving....when he was On he was On, but he was maddeningly inconsistent, and prone to give up on a game plan way too early. Think I'm ready for BB's next choice (as long as he's not related).

Wish Josh all the best in his new HC opportunity that said our New OC whoever needs some serious Talent on Offense BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News