SOURCE:Providence Journal

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Panthers
Fri
Aug 24th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Another Strong Showing
After Tom Brady went out and played Brady-esque, the Patriots defense stole the show again on Thursday night in their win over Philadelphia.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

JOSH IS STAYING!!

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Joey007, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +11,969
    The guys hired are all Ballard's guys. The hires appear to be Ballard's hires, narrowed from a larger list based on Josh's input.

The next coach will have to agree to work with them.

Let's hope they get a doozy and keep the deflategate curse rolling on!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1

2. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club

Ratings:
    +50,116
    • Like Like x 7
  3. Danny

Danny Generally aware PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,610
    The next coach will have to work with them but I bet Ballard allows him to bring in some of his own guys. Someone like Jeff Fisher will get to hire 7-9 assistants.

• Funny Funny x 4
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,918
    So I liked the Peter King piece, even though there's a lot of "I was told" and "A source told me." Here's one quote. Take it for what it's worth:

A source close to the story said late Tuesday night that, as part of his agreement to stay in New England, McDaniels got no written assurance that he will succeed the 65-year-old Belichick when he walks away from the job. No one knows when that will be. Belichick will coach at least this year, and at the Super Bowl last week, one longtime Belichick acquaintance said he thought Belichick would coach multiple years in New England, despite the reports of discord between him and Kraft.​

He also said Josh is being very picky: Has to be the right situation, not just any head coaching job. (i.e., the right assistants, the right understanding w/owner, etc.) Once again, according to "sources," which could be code for "me."

Even though it's just a story that I like, I know the reason that I like it: He identifies the unknowns of the length of time Bill is in New England, whether Josh got a commitment, etc. He does claim a lot of "a source told me" stuff. But if Bill leaves next week, that source could just have been "wrong." But this also leaves room for Bill to be there for 10 years.

Que sera sera. It is fun to follow. But I still don't know when BB will retire. I still don't know if McDaniels is the heir apparent or just has the inside track. I know exactly what I know: McDaniels isn't going to the Colts. I'll buy that he went to Gillette to get his stuff, and they convinced him.

Unlike our GDT savants, I don't get bored of successful playcalling (Around here, one constant refrain about McDaniels, is how crappy his playcalling is. I don't know what that means, actually. I think it means that on a play where you wanted success, you did not get it. That's all plays, and nobody bats 1.000.) It's a cheap and easy way to vent spleen when you get stomped for critiquing the head coach and stomped for critiquing execution (e.g. by Brady). Truth is, you just don't always get the outcome you want and we're spoiled. Not that Josh can suddenly do no wrong... I'm just tired of the normal challenges of football being instant fodder for the "I could do it better" guys. I mean, then why don't you work in the NFL?

Sorry, rant over. Good article, at least he's got the humility to say a source said things, rather than just saying "this is true a priori."

Unfortunately, I don't trust "sources say" much these days either. That's why I say this is an opaque world... BB is especially conscious of letting info out of the house. So we just don't know many things.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. JackBauer

JackBauer Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +6,039
    Not sure why this matters? He basically just won the equivalent of the NFLHC Powerball.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,574
    I'm a real estate agent. What's your issue with me? I've never lied or cheated anyone and I have a code of ethics I follow. So why the **** would you compare me to this tool?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Soliel

Soliel In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,318
    The worse the colta feels the better

8. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,292
    Breer on BST ripping McDaniels. He looks like he's gonna cry.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +11,969
    The Colts are playing dumb and people are eating it up like candy.

The Colts knew that Josh was a Patriots employee until the moment he resigned,

they should have known the the Patriots would push hard to protect their assets and retain Josh,

and they should have know Josh was having cold feet (PFT reported this, on Saturday IIRC).

Lots of coaches in all sports and at all levels have had last-second concerns and have backed out of deals.

Did I expect it? No. Should the Colts have considered that it was possible? Yes.

It was not even unethical. The Patriots made counter-proposals to retain their own employee, within 48 hours of when he was first legally allowed to make a binding decision. A Patriots employee chose the deal best for his future.

This need not be so complicated.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12,292
    Ballard made a fool of himself at his presser today by saying the rivalry is back. The best part was the approval guffawing by the single-toothed, cretinous, inbred offspring media members who were present. " Yeah!!! We'll show 'em!!!". Sure you will...;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ras-IR Dowling

Ras-IR Dowling In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,711
    Never mind that he also Ballard’s agent. Sort of a conflict of interest given the situation. Easier to dump mcdaniels seeing how this played out

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16,625
    It’s good to know that the people of Indy didn’t take us seriously and no longer found the NEP organization relevant, prior to this morning. :D

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jlaff

Jlaff In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,210
    No offense, but I've always kind of despised real estate agents, if only because I feel like they demand way too high a rate for the skill and work involved. And I guess I find it a bit ridiculous they drive around in 6 year old Range Rovers wearing a suit. I always thought the only easier way to wear a suit to work was to sell cell phones at the mall.

14. Ivan

Ivan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +21,372

Just a quick correction, the Colts don’t “play” dumb..

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Ivan

Ivan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +21,372
    Turning down a lifetime supply of meth had to be really hard.

16. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +39,837
    Unlike you, I actually did provide facts as, for example, I noted the fact that some coaches were already signed, and named them. Also, it wouldn't have taken you much digging to find things like this:

and earlier reports such as this:

But, instead, you chose baseless speculation and lousy retorts.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  17. mihap

mihap Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +866
    dont like mcdaniels back

18. BradyMoss812

BradyMoss812 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +353
    I haven't read through this thread completely so this may have been discussed already, but what was the process for the Krafts and Belichick to know that McDaniels was leaving and only NOW were they trying to persuade him to stay in New England?

Why did it get to this stage when the Colts had announced he was taking the job there to suddenly try to talk him into staying? They knew he was going for awhile now!

I'm pleased he's staying only for the stability it will bring to the offense & Brady, but why did it get to the last minute before trying to keep him was now so important?

In recent days there have been some questionable decisions being made by the Patriots executives & coaching staff.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +18,246
    Maybe this entire clusterfuck will make the NFL rethink the entire hiring process and its stipulations a bit. If you allow playoff coaches to interview during the postseason maybe you can also allow for them to sign legally binding documents so both the coach and the organization has clarity and doesnt have to do this stupid dance until a team is out of the playoffs or wins the SB.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,574
    No offense, but to me you sound like someone who has no idea what they are talking about. If you despise how I support my wife and sons, that sounds like more of a you problem than a me problem.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018