PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joejuan Williams moving to safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't look bad for being a 'bust'

Last year the Patriots had the #1 defense in the NFL along with the #1 pass defense, I'm sure JoeJuan wasn't desperately needed last year.

Nonsensical, irrelevant post. You do know that smart NFL GMs draft for 2-3 years in the future, including high draft picks, right? Joejuan doesn't just have good size, he has RARE size, for both a CB and a safety, and that made the trade up in the second round worth for it the Pats, even if they knew that they would likely have to wait a year for him to contribute.
. 390A3F7C-2A14-4C9A-9BD7-0B65C46B0680.jpeg

Many posters here, myself included, saw Chung slowing down (age and injuries) and recognized that his effectiveness against athletic TEs was waning (I thought that he was good, not great, in that role, even in his prime). If we could see it, you can be certain that BB, Caserio and Steve B. did as well. His rookie year was basically a red shirt year, to learn the system and prepare to be able to play multiple roles (although he played well in his limited preseason and regular season reps). I'm sure that BB was fine with that.

Last edited:
Waste of a pick, bust... or Billy's Day 2 feck-up

Am I the only one reading this correctly as sarcasm ? Not sure why others try to convince Wozzy about Williams' worth. The person that should be talked to is the Captain who had not a single good thing to say about him since he was drafted.

Am I the only one reading this correctly as sarcasm ? Not sure why others try to convince Wozzy about Williams' worth. The person that should be talked to is the Captain who had not a single good thing to say about him since he was drafted.

At first I thought that he was making fun of Stoney but then I read his previous comments about Williams. The ability of some posters here to refuse that they were wrong, even in the face of overwhelming evidence, is incredible. #defendingthefreezingcoldtakewall

Where is the Captain, anyway? No "Slowjuan" comments for us today?

whether he turns out decent or not, it was the wrong pick at the time. You DO NOT pass up on a freak athletic talent like DK Metcalf in the 2nd round, whom possessed tools of a top 5 player.

Metcalf is making every team in the league, including the Seahawks, look bad for allowing him to drop into the late 2nd round. Based upon his performance yesterday, he looks primed for a big year again 2020. Having said that, his route tree is still fairly limited and, in my opinion, he will never be as impactful and difficult for defenses to consistently contain as guys like Thomas, Hopkins, Julio, Hill, Adams and Thielen. I'd take Kupp over him as well. Metcalf's ceiling is likely Dez and who here wants to go back and take Dez over McCourty?

IF Williams can show that he consistently shut down, or at least limit, Kittle/Kelce/Andrews/Ertz as well as the tall, physical WR2s (one of Gilmore and JC likely will be covering most WR1s for the next several years), I'll take that over Dez 2.0.

A DB or LB who can legitimately cover elite TEs is extremely rare but if you find one, that guy is probably more impactful than an elite WR, with very rare exceptions, especially in the playoffs in 20 degree weather. Williams is a long way from proving that he can be that type of difference maker but yesterday's performance was encouraging.

With Williams, Dugger and Uche, I'm excited about the potential for the Pats to be able to contain Kelce/Edwards-Helaire and Jackson/Andrews better than most teams (completely shutting all of those players down is not realistic) by the end of the season and for the next several years.

Last edited:
Metcalf is making every team in the league, including the Seahawks, look bad for allowing him to drop into the late 2nd round. Based upon his performance yesterday, he looks primed for a big year again 2020. Having said that, his route tree is still fairly limited and, in my opinion, he will never be as impactful and difficult for defenses to consistently contain as guys like Thomas, Hopkins, Julio, Hill, Adams and Thielen. I'd take Kupp over him as well. Metcalf's ceiling is likely Dez and who here wants to go back and take Dez over McCourty?

IF Williams can show that he consistently shut down, or at least limit, Kittle/Kelce/Andrews/Ertz as well as the tall, physical WR2s (one of Gilmore and JC likely will be covering most WR1s for the next several years), I'll take that over Dez 2.0.

A DB or LB who can legitimately cover elite TEs is extremely rare but if you find one, that guy is probably more impactful than an elite WR, with very rare exceptions, especially in the playoffs in 20 degree weather. Williams is a long way from proving that he can be that type of difference maker but yesterday's performance was encouraging.

With Williams, Dugger and Uche, I'm excited about the potential for the Pats to be able to contain Kelce/Edwards-Helaire and Jackson/Andrews better than most teams (completely shutting all of those players down is not realistic) by the end of the season and for the next several years.

I would never take Dez over McCourty, but we didn't take the second coming of DMac over Metcalf. We took Harry. I can't claim to have been right about this all along though--I absolutely hated Metcalf as a prospect.

I would never take Dez over McCourty, but we didn't take the second coming of DMac over Metcalf. We took Harry. I can't claim to have been right about this all along though--I absolutely hated Metcalf as a prospect.

Agree Harry over Metcalf looks like a big mistake so far but I was responding to the poster's comment that taking Williams over Metcalf was a mistake. My main point was that Williams will prove to be the smart choice IF he becomes an elite coverage safety, because that is more valuable than a top 6-10 WR.

I'm not saying Metcalf isn't good because he is, but he looks better than he is because Wilson throws the best deep ball in the NFL.

Waste of a pick, bust... or Billy's Day 2 feck-up

JC's INT was the result of Blatant DPI, from a clueless SloJuan, that simply wasn't called...

Kneal Harry & SloJuan...Still clueless, still sucking...

Nonsensical, irrelevant post. You do know that smart NFL GMs draft for 2-3 years in the future, including high draft picks, right? Joejuan doesn't just have good size, he has RARE size, for both a CB and a safety, and that made the trade up in the second round worth for it the Pats, even if they knew that they would likely have to wait a year for him to contribute.
. View attachment 28595

Many posters here, myself included, saw Chung slowing down (age and injuries) and recognized that his effectiveness against athletic TEs was waning (I thought that he was good, not great, in that role, even in his prime). If we could see it, you can be certain that BB, Caserio and Steve B. did as well. His rookie year was basically a red shirt year, to learn the system and prepare to be able to play multiple roles (although he played well in his limited preseason and regular season reps). I'm sure that BB was fine with that.

I think you're way off here. Patrick Chung has 3 rings for a reason and has been one of the most valuable players on the entire team. It's extremely rare to be able to guard TEs as a DB but also play elite run defense in the box as basically a linebacker. I agree Chung is aging but it's been a stark difference during Superbowl seasons, when Chung's skills are off the field compared to on. So, all your IF posts about JuJuan at SS basically validate that Chung has been extremely valuable by actually being that rare special guy.

Last edited:
I think you're way off here. Patrick Chung has 3 rings for a reason and has been one of the most valuable players on the entire team. It's extremely rare to be able to guard TEs as a DB but also play elite run defense in the box as basically a linebacker. I agree Chung is aging but it's been a stark difference during Superbowl seasons, when Chung's skills are off the field compared to on. So, all your IF posts about JuJuan at SS basically validate that Chung has been extremely by actually being that rare special guy.

I love Chung and I was not trying to intimate that Williams will be a better player than he is in time or that Chung would not have been a valuable player on and off the field this year. I am referring specifically to his ability to cover athletic tight ends. I don't think that he can keep up with the top guys anymore, at his age and with a lot of hard miles on his body, given his physical style of play.

I dont onow why some people are patiots fans. They hate on the young players so much.

I remember hating Kevin fumbles faulk. Then I loved him. People need to chill the faulk out

. View attachment 28595

I think you're confused on my position here.

Yeah... it was blantantly obvious sarcasm... or so I thought.

JC's INT was the result of Blatant DPI, from a clueless SloJuan, that simply wasn't called...

Kneal Harry & SloJuan...Still clueless, still sucking...
Health and time will continue to expose just how crappy these takes are.

Trying to rationalize yet another of Billy's Day 2 feck-ups...it is to laugh...

Many people including DMac are praising JJ today -- are they all part of a conspiracy protecting BB's drafting?

That whole draft class is looking much better if yesterday is any indicator
Think most of the 18-20 draft classes will actually come along as at least solid contributors over the next couple years here, it just taking longer than some are comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes