PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joe Montana: Niners should've taken Mac Jones

Nothing a little baby blood transfusion can't help with.
The Keith Richards Special.

Fresh blood in.

Heroin, Coke, Scotch and stool softener out.

The Keith Richards Special.

Fresh blood in.

Heroin, Coke, Scotch and stool softener out.
Keith is the eighth wonder of the world. More lives than a cat. Thanks for the laugh, RW.

Keith is the eighth wonder of the world. More lives than a cat. Thanks for the laugh, RW.
He has absolutely no business being alive.

Nikki Sixx and David Crosby are two others.

Imagine thinking trey lance played in division 3. Kind of makes you lose a lot of credibility
I mistakenly thought he played in Div 3. My bad.

I’m sure you are right 100% of the time.

Imagine thinking trey lance played in division 3. Kind of makes you lose a lot of credibility

He played on a college team that ran the ball 70% of the time !! And only averaged 160 yards passing per game. Trey sucks.
Worst pick of the draft to take Trey Lance and give up 3 firsts for this guy. Lynch will be fired. Hard to top but worse than the Pats going with Harry, Wynn, and Michel in consecutive seasons.

...and he shouldn't feel that way at all.

Joe is deathly afraid of his football life reduced to being irrelevant.

It's kinda like that scene in Everyone's All American when an old Gavin Grey walks out on the field and he thinks the crowd is cheering for him but instead it was for the present day LSU team coming out of the tunnel.

He hasn't played a meaningful game since I was a senior in college for cripes sake but to him I bet it still feels like yesterday.

There is no doubt Joe Cool feels the NEED to be relevant. He needs to hear the fans still cheer for him and be admired, acknowledged, etc.

For older fans like me he is.....he's just no longer the GOAT.

It’s crazy how we don’t realize how much time has passed when we’re the ones living life.

Back in 1990, Joe Montana won his fourth and final Super Bowl….that was 34 years after Otto Graham won his third and final NFL championship (sixth overall).

In 2021, Tom Brady won his seventh Super Bowl...that was 31 years after Joe Montana won his fourth Super Bowl.

So if you thought Otto Graham was ancient, when people referenced him in 1990 and you were young, then Joe Montana would be almost that far in the past to young people now.

It’s crazy how we don’t realize how much time has passed when we’re the ones living life.

Back in 1990, Joe Montana won his fourth and final Super Bowl….that was 34 years after Otto Graham won his third and final NFL championship (sixth overall).

In 2021, Tom Brady won his seventh Super Bowl...that was 31 years after Joe Montana won his fourth Super Bowl.

So if you thought Otto Graham was ancient, when people referenced him in 1990 and you were young, then Joe Montana would be almost that far in the past to young people now.
You win the 2021 "Best Post With Perspective" award. :p

Picking Brady in the 1st round of 2001 would have been a huge "reach" based on what was known about him then -- and of course unnecessary.

Even after 2000 training camp, Brady was still the #4 QB on the team. More impressive than drafting him in the 6th round was keeping him as an unprecedented 4th QB.

Obviously, going with Brady over Drew and staying with him when Drew came back is much to BB's credit.

And almost no one credits Bill with going for the score with Tom at the end of the 2001 Superbowl. That was a controversial coaching decision, as John Madden indicated at the time.

While I agree that drafting Brady in the 6th round was mostly luck, all those other decisions were crucial ones made by BB.
Again, when Drew went down, you go to the backup, not the 4th guy, so obviously Brady moved up the ranks for some reason. Bb stayed with the Qb that we were winning with? So stay with younger less expensive guy that is winning. Amazing. BB went for the score? See again what people are missing here is that Bill does not do any of that unless he thinkgs Brady can do it. Hell he wont even let Jones throw the ball in the redzone. Players make coaches do things by their play, its not becuase they just have a hunch. Brady had one shot when Drew went down, if he played bad, he never sees the field again. He had one shot to make it. Top draft picks have years to prove they can do it, he didnt. Brady was given nothing.

Brady clearly was a talented, generational player who - depending on the franchise - would have found some level of success in this league.

Brady was the most undervalued, mis-evaluated player in professional sports history.

With that said it's obvious he hadn't physically matured when he left Michigan. If he was 225 and chiseled maybe he would have gone earlier. Who knows

Everyone was wrong.

Bill provided an environment and structure for Tom's talent to be developed to its fullest potential.

Was Bill lucky Tom was there at 199? Sure.

Was it luck BB drafted him? Yes but they thought enough to draft him because they scouted him.

Was it luck "Tom" became "TB12 the GOAT"? yes and no. No one projected Tom to become what he is but BB's program - with Tom's commitment to being the best made it possible. That is not luck. That is grinding every day and being committed.
I didnt really mean it was Luck he became what he did, he earned that. I said it was luck that the pats picked a guy that would become that. It was not lucky for him it was lucky for the pats. It does not matter what structure and environment is there, if you are not good you are not good. Brady had one shot and that was it, and he made the most of it. Nobody handed it to him. He could have easily started out bad and then that would have been it, they were not giving him years. Guys drafted high have years to show what they can do, brady had a couple games. According to belichick, Brady was showing that long before he got in a game.

Thats just great for trey lance isnt it lol the resident sports icon just said you shouldn’t be there. Then if youre jimmy g the team just said were using 3 firsts to replace you. Great place to be a QB!!

Thats just great for trey lance isnt it lol the resident sports icon just said you shouldn’t be there. Then if youre jimmy g the team just said were using 3 firsts to replace you. Great place to be a QB!!
meh, nobody can tell the future, it will either get him down or he will motivated by it to stuff it in peoples face.

Great comparison. I never see clips from those 80s Niners team anymore. They were shown non-stop in the 90s and even into the 00s. It's like Michael Jordan said, the passing of time deconstructs everyone's legacy one day at a time.

I mistakenly thought he played in Div 3. My bad.

I’m sure you are right 100% of the time.
Nope. As a matter of fact I thought Mac Jones would be a bust. Happy to be 100 percent wrong on that one to this point!

Phuck Joe Montana...phuck the 49ers and phuck what anybody thinks in San Franazzole

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back