PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

JJ Watt might be on the block

How do we know Gronk wants $10m? Assumption? Did he say?

Assumption. All of the projected salaries shown are assumptions. Gronk made $10m last year and the argument is the same as JJ, he is not going to come back for $5M. The poster said that Tampa could restructure and create $50M in cap space, and my point is that Tampa has a whole bunch of guys coming due for new, high dollar contracts. Gronk, Barrett, David, Suh, AB, Godwin, etc. Barrett has already said that he wants top dollar, which I think he should get. Then posters say that JJ Watt might go to Tampa to chase a ring. I doubt that, players primarily chase money, as they should, it is their job. And Tampa is not going to pay JJ before they sign their own guys. But we will see, maybe JJ will sign for $5M. People always say players want to chase a ring but that is usually in a few years past where JJ is.

Assumption. All of the projected salaries shown are assumptions. Gronk made $10m last year and the argument is the same as JJ, he is not going to come back for $5M. The poster said that Tampa could restructure and create $50M in cap space, and my point is that Tampa has a whole bunch of guys coming due for new, high dollar contracts. Gronk, Barrett, David, Suh, AB, Godwin, etc. Barrett has already said that he wants top dollar, which I think he should get. Then posters say that JJ Watt might go to Tampa to chase a ring. I doubt that, players primarily chase money, as they should, it is their job. And Tampa is not going to pay JJ before they sign their own guys. But we will see, maybe JJ will sign for $5M. People always say players want to chase a ring but that is usually in a few years past where JJ is.
I dunno. I think with the lifestyle, health, playing with Tom on a SB team I think Gronk will test the market to keep TB honest but I see him coming back for less than $10m.

I dunno. I think with the lifestyle, health, playing with Tom on a SB team I think Gronk will test the market to keep TB honest but I see him coming back for less than $10m.

Not exactly a daring, "way out on a limb" take there. ;) I agree - less than $10M is likely. :)

I didn't realize both brothers are on the Steelers. If he's willing to sign for a reduced role, it's a no brainer.

My favorites are Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Buffalo, LA Rams, KC, SF and even Tampa Bay.

Not exactly a daring, "way out on a limb" take there. ;) I agree - less than $10M is likely. :)
I don't think he's going to war for a top of the market deal that's all. That means he'll take less. $7m feels right

Watt will go to a Bay...either one is my guess. I think he'd prefer his home Bay in Wisconsin but Brady, Gronk et al with THAT DL would have to be very tempting.

Watt was going to make over 17m next year. He's not taking a pay cut. We have no chance

I don't think he's going to war for a top of the market deal that's all. That means he'll take less. $7m feels right

A $5M deal signed in late October would seem to satisfy everyone involved.

If you want a ring you don’t go to a team that doesn’t have a QB. I don’t know what their cap situation is but I think Tennessee will have a very good shot at getting, as Vrabel was one of his coaches in Houston, and they need more pass rush.

Maybe in 2023 when the Patriots are contending for another Super Bowl, Watt will be interesting as an Andre Carter type third down pass rusher for veteran minimum.
Yeah. Fred Dean was supposed to be washed up when Walsh got him.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back