PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jimmy G interesting stuff

I was not a Cassel detractor like many here but Jimmy G >> Matt as a QB.
If your point is durability, I agree.
availability being the main reason. i know measurables and win/loss records favor Jimmy, but I believe its circumstance. I guess neither QB hasn't shown anything that has me wanting either of this point in their career. so i would lean towards availbility

I was not a Cassel detractor like many here but Jimmy G >> Matt as a QB.
If your point is durability, I agree.
yes, durability/availability being the main reason. Jimmy hasn't shown me thats he's a QB that can elevate the team. He's a game manager. Played for some great coaches/good D. So for me it comes down to availability

I'd say who cares to most of this. Right, in the NFC championship game JG went 6 for 8, which is bizarrely low in today's game...and sf scored like 40 points and won by 20.

It's not revisionist history to say that Shanahan played too conservatively at the end of the half in the Super Bowl, it's the truth.

Look, the guy's gotten hurt a fair bit, no way around that. And he didn't win the Super Bowl. But compared to what the Pats had last year, Garoppolo would seem like a freaking miracle worker back there. I'd love to have him back.
Shanahan played up to Jimmy strengths.

Jimmy will come back here because he is a cheap option and BB really didnt want to let him go. 2 - 3 years from now with no Super Bowls to show, it will be time to move on from Jimmy instead of moving on today. Being better than Cam is setting bar at ankle level. It is what it is.

Every thread about potential QBs is going to be full of naysaying, of course.

Who are the options? And seriously, after Brady, how many NFL QBs are going to cut it with NE fans out of the gate?

I mean, face it, the cupboard isn't overflowing.

Watson is the only blue-shipper who might be on the black - and it's going to cost a TON. A ton. And if Caserio isn't just blowing smoke and really would deal him, which I doubt there are teams with a lot more of that capital to pay than the Pats (Jets, for example).

Green Bay isn't moving Rogers. Stafford and Goff are off the board.

Mariotta and Jimmy and maybe Alex Smith are possibilities via trade or being cut. After that: Winston, Newton, Brissett, Trubisky, Fitzpatrick and who? Maybe Darnold gets dealt, but to he Pats? Highly doubt it, and there's no reason for the Jets to cut him even if they acquired Winston.

So after that, we're down to players like Minshew or Josh Rosen...

As for the draft, people say trade up, but man, that's going to be a lot of capital. if you go buy the point rating system, the Pats should be able to swap 15 and a mid-rounder to get up for one of the higher-rated QBs, but that's in theory - you have to believe that the true blue-chip prospects are all going to be gone when Carolina picks at what, 8?, if not before.

With all that in mind, figuring they aren't getting Watson, the best options to me look like:

1. Jimmy G (if they don't have to trade too much and can rework that contract, or via FA)
2. Trubisky, but he's going to be costing more than he's shown to be worth, likely, as other teams are supposedly showing interest.
3. Brissett
4. Fitzpatrick as a stopgap, whereas the first three could develop into more than that. Same with Smith, probably even less so.
5. Mariotta or Winston or Cam

Am I missing someone?

So, unless there's a QB in the draft they really love...I'd go with: try to get one of the top 3, draft a developmental guy in the second (Mac Jones if he's there, which I doubt) or 3rd/4th. If I had to bet on it, this is where I'd lean.

And this is all assuming they don't want Stidham, which I'm not as certain of as some posters here. There were plenty of other reasons they might have held him back this year, both involving a handshake deal with Cam Newton and/or a fear of throwing him in when he isn't ready - he's still only had one camp, after all.

yes, durability/availability being the main reason. Jimmy hasn't shown me thats he's a QB that can elevate the team. He's a game manager. Played for some great coaches/good D. So for me it comes down to availability

Per the OP

SF is 17-8 with Jimmy G and 6-17 without Jimmy G. Yet you think he doesn't "elevate" the team.

Seriously Ian, why are we attracting guys like this?

I would take Garoppolo as a short term solution until you develop someone else, but I wouldn't make him the QB of the future. The guy is too brittle and I question his toughness and decision making ability in tight spots.

Every thread about potential QBs is going to be full of naysaying, of course.

Who are the options? And seriously, after Brady, how many NFL QBs are going to cut it with NE fans out of the gate?

I mean, face it, the cupboard isn't overflowing.

Watson is the only blue-shipper who might be on the black - and it's going to cost a TON. A ton. And if Caserio isn't just blowing smoke and really would deal him, which I doubt there are teams with a lot more of that capital to pay than the Pats (Jets, for example).

Green Bay isn't moving Rogers. Stafford and Goff are off the board.

Mariotta and Jimmy and maybe Alex Smith are possibilities via trade or being cut. After that: Winston, Newton, Brissett, Trubisky, Fitzpatrick and who? Maybe Darnold gets dealt, but to he Pats? Highly doubt it, and there's no reason for the Jets to cut him even if they acquired Winston.

So after that, we're down to players like Minshew or Josh Rosen...

As for the draft, people say trade up, but man, that's going to be a lot of capital. if you go buy the point rating system, the Pats should be able to swap 15 and a mid-rounder to get up for one of the higher-rated QBs, but that's in theory - you have to believe that the true blue-chip prospects are all going to be gone when Carolina picks at what, 8?, if not before.

With all that in mind, figuring they aren't getting Watson, the best options to me look like:

1. Jimmy G (if they don't have to trade too much and can rework that contract, or via FA)
2. Trubisky, but he's going to be costing more than he's shown to be worth, likely, as other teams are supposedly showing interest.
3. Brissett
4. Fitzpatrick as a stopgap, whereas the first three could develop into more than that. Same with Smith, probably even less so.
5. Mariotta or Winston or Cam

Am I missing someone?

So, unless there's a QB in the draft they really love...I'd go with: try to get one of the top 3, draft a developmental guy in the second (Mac Jones if he's there, which I doubt) or 3rd/4th. If I had to bet on it, this is where I'd lean.

And this is all assuming they don't want Stidham, which I'm not as certain of as some posters here. There were plenty of other reasons they might have held him back this year, both involving a handshake deal with Cam Newton and/or a fear of throwing him in when he isn't ready - he's still only had one camp, after all.
I think you can add Wentz to that list of QBs available by trade. If they think he can be fixed, I’d put him at the top of the list with Garappalo.

Per the OP

SF is 17-8 with Jimmy G and 6-17 without Jimmy G. Yet you think he doesn't "elevate" the team.

Seriously Ian, why are we attracting guys like this?
yeah, why are you here? you're pretty useless and you just go and cry to the admin

you should consider availability rather than just record. If you look at things in a vacuum (when SF was just playing hot potato because a certain QB wasn't available) then you will make uneducated statements that look at just record. weird that SF wants to upgrade when he evelate the team......weird.

you're also discounting that Nick Bosa played a full season in 2019 and the defense was elite.

apart from that Jimmy G was 4-5 in 2018/2020. ELEVATING

If Newton is back here as the starter I will personally call the dementia police on belichick.
Belichick wants to win. He saw that he has the worst QB in the league. Despite having a penchant for making positive remarks about his players there is no way he repeats that clown show.
I certainly hope you're right.

I certainly hope you're right.
Belichick just had the worst season in 20 years. He has 60 million and probably the top 3 best draft capital he has had.
He watched the worst passing game in the NFL.
Explain to me how all of that could add up to “let’s just bring back can it’s too hard to find another qb. Sucking is fine, winning is overrated”.
He will go all in on fixing the passing game and has to do it NOW because he has the resources now.

yeah, why are you here? you're pretty useless and you just go and cry to the admin

you should consider availability rather than just record. If you look at things in a vacuum (when SF was just playing hot potato because a certain QB wasn't available) then you will make uneducated statements that look at just record. weird that SF wants to upgrade when he evelate the team......weird.

you're also discounting that Nick Bosa played a full season in 2019 and the defense was elite.

4-5 with him 6-17 without him.
Competitive team with him pretty much worst in the league without him

There is just no argument that since he went to SF they are a good team with him playing and a crappy team without him. You might as well argue the sky is purple.

4-5 with him 6-17 without him.
Competitive team with him pretty much worst in the league without him

There is just no argument that since he went to SF they are a good team with him playing and a crappy team without him. You might as well argue the sky is purple.
lol, the sky isn't purple?

are we sure we know what we're arguing? food for thought, in 2020
Jimmy G was 3-3 as a starter (beating the Jets, Rams, and Our beloved Patriots)
CJ Beathard was also 0.500 (1-1)

so looking at purely the record, Jimmy G = CJ Beathard? since after all they led the same team in the same year...

additionally, the only win Jimmy G had vs a playoff team (Rams) were also beat by Nick Mullens. 6 of the non-JimmyG losses were against playoff teams. as I said, just looking at record doesn't tell the full story

My point was just JimmyG doesn't elevate a team where he adds any additional value over an average replacement.

True, but of JG and Kyle Shanahan, we saw one of them turn scared on play calling when they thought they had a Super Bowl wrapped up for the Falcons. I don’t think JG should get the majority of the blame for the end of this Super Bowl loss either.
I saw a pretty good analysis here of the end of that SB showing how Shanahan had Kittle, JG's best option, staying in the backfield to block on key downs at the end.

If Newton is back here as the starter I will personally call the dementia police on belichick.
Belichick wants to win. He saw that he has the worst QB in the league. Despite having a penchant for making positive remarks about his players there is no way he repeats that clown show.
If people think Bill is getting too much heat now, it'll be nothing compared to how much he'll get if he brings back Cant Newton as the starter.

lol, the sky isn't purple?

are we sure we know what we're arguing? food for thought, in 2020
Jimmy G was 3-3 as a starter (beating the Jets, Rams, and Our beloved Patriots)
CJ Beathard was also 0.500 (1-1)

so looking at purely the record, Jimmy G = CJ Beathard? since after all they led the same team in the same year...

additionally, the only win Jimmy G had vs a playoff team (Rams) were also beat by Nick Mullens. 6 of the non-JimmyG losses were against playoff teams. as I said, just looking at record doesn't tell the full story

My point was just JimmyG doesn't elevate a team where he adds any additional value over an average replacement.
I compared his entire 49er career. Your retort is 1-1? Just stop. Every fact disagrees with your conclusion.

Here's the thing, Jimmy is an above average QB. Is he brady? No. That doesn't mean the Patriots can't win with him though. They went 7-9 with a QB who couldn't throw and a tough schedule.

Could they go 10-6 or 11-5 with Jimmy? Why not. Especially if Bill is going to improve the offense around him

Shanahan played up to Jimmy strengths.

Jimmy will come back here because he is a cheap option and BB really didn't want to let him go. 2 - 3 years from now with no Super Bowls to show, it will be time to move on from Jimmy instead of moving on today. Being better than Cam is setting bar at ankle level. It is what it is.
He isn't a cheap option right now unless he is released and can then be signed to a lower figure...I would not trade for his current contract.

I compared his entire 49er career. Your retort is 1-1? Just stop. Every fact disagrees with your conclusion.
Look - you're fixated on a cherry picked piece of information without context. So I also presented a cherry picked piece of information. You clearly are in favor of JimmyG and that's fine. That wasn't my point in all of this

I'll make it simple...JimmyG won't win us a Super Bowl. Isn't that the ultimate goal? or has that changed?

If people think Bill is getting too much heat now, it'll be nothing compared to how much he'll get if he brings back Cant Newton as the starter.
My god.

So your theory is if I ignore the games he wins and only consider the games he loses..........he has a worse record.

How' bout that.

Just because you told yourself that this is true..........doesn't make this expert opinion.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back