PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets seek permission to talk to Favre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm missing something, but that sounds like his upside is . . . Chad Pennington. :confused:

That said, I kinda wish Favre had joined Gang Green. All the Pats would have to do to guarantee a win is play Moss at deep safety. Favre would be so thrilled with the opportunity to throw to Moss, that the Pats would be guaranteed an easy 3-4 INTs a game. :rofl:

There's nothing wrong with an NFL team having a young Pennington on the roster. You can do alot worse. That type of Qb makes you a consistent playoff threat. More than half the teams in the NFl would gladly take one. Does that mean [if I'm right about Ainge] he will be a pro bowler or all-pro, or win a SB? No. But it saves a franchise from five years of disaster like the Dolphins have endured.

BTW, Ainge is 6'6'', pennington is 6'3'', Ainge excelled for 2 years in the SEC, Pennington in the MAC. If both players were entering the NFl today, I would give Ainge a better chance for success. Pennington bucked the odds through determination, grit heart and smarts. If Ainge possesses those in equal measure, he has more than a shot to succeed.

Just when you thought it was dead, ESPN Radio reporting the Pack want to send him to the Jets for a 3rd n 4th

haha

I don't even know what to say to that. How awesome would it be to see those to legendary QB's (ours and Favre) at Gillette? Favre getting the beatdown by the LB's, of course.

Think what we can do to further cement his INT record!

haha

I don't even know what to say to that. How awesome would it be to see those to legendary QB's (ours and Favre) at Gillette? Favre getting the beatdown by the LB's, of course.

Think what we can do to further cement his INT record!

These guys may have something to say about that

90799.jpg

I thought his royal highness wanted to go to a contender?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3504613

=====================================================

I have an issue with the thread title saying Jets have seeked permission to talk with Favre, because it has been reported that it is the Pack that approached the Jets, not a big deal, still.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3504613[/QUOTE]

Article says the Pack has approached several NFC and AFC teams about there desire to trade Favre.

These guys may have something to say about that

90799.jpg

Indeed they would:

"Nice hit!"
"Man, I should have blocked that guy"
"Brett, are you ok?"

Please do.

An immobile, wild, or as they say gunslinging, QB behind the Jets porous offensive line will only equate to confidence for our secondary.

The Jets porous offensive line? Do you still follow football in the offseason. Yeah, they had a turnstile at left guard last year in Adrien Clarke, but they replaced him with Allen Faneca. The Jets offensive line will be a strength of theirs this year. In fact they don't even have a weakness on their offensive line anymore.

I predicted when the Jets drafted Clemens that he was not a quality NFL talent, due to his height and pocket presence, as well as less than ideal arm strength.

So far the results are mixed, though through my Patriot colored glasses I tend to believe my initial eval was correct.

This Favre talk indicates to me that the Jets are reaching the same conclusions. I also understand that Pennington remains favored to win the job. IMO that would be a good move for the jets. they should win 8-10 games if Pennington stays healthy.

However, the lack of faith in Clemens IMO should have precipitated a move up in the draft to snag Matt Ryan. That was the only possible offseason move by the Jets that would have struck fear in me. Their other moves were not franchise altering moves for the better, over the long term IMO. Without an elite Qb, a team has no soul. With Pennington, at least it has some heart.

Thats a somewhat fair analysis, but Clemens actually has a very strong arm. The reason people thought his arm wasn't that strong in the draft, is because he broke his ankle his senior year, and as a result of that he had a poor showing at the combine. He wasn't making all the throws. Ill agree with you that his pocket presence last year was not good. He is also a little short, but so is Drew Brees. So yeah that is a hindrance, but it can be dealt with. With a lot stronger offensive line I'm hoping he will be better in the pocket this year.

The so called strength of the Jets line is Faneca and Mangold. Ferguson is a bust and Woody is unproven at right tackle.

The so called strength of the Jets line is Faneca and Mangold. Ferguson is a bust and Woody is unproven at right tackle.

Your right they are the strength, but Ferguson is not a bust and Woody played well at right tackle last year. Brandon Moore is solid at right guard. Therefore, as I said, the O Line doesn't have a weakness. I'm willing to admit their weaknesses, QB, game breaking receiver, a safety opposite Kerry Rhodes. But the offensive line just isn't one of them anymore.

Ferguson is an average LT, he can defend speed struggles with bull rush. Last year he looked phenomenal in spurts but other times he looked terrible. Having an average to above average LT in the NFL aint such a bad thing to have. It also does not help playing in your second year next to a guard who has no business being in football.

At worst Woody is still a massive upgrade over Clement and theres no way to spin that

Last edited:
I know Favre is better than anything that the Jets currently have. But right now, the Jets fans have no hope when it comes to the Pats-Jets rivalry. I think if they got Favre, theses fans would get a renewed confidence only to have it dashed to a million pieces once we blow them out. I guess what I'm saying is I want the Jets fans to suffer as much as possible.

Well you heard that the Packers want a 1st round pick for Favre right? What would be beautiful is if the Jets shipped out the 1st round pick, then they go something like 4-12 and end up shipping a top 10 draft choice to Green Bay, meanwhile their CAP is crushed by the weight of Lord Favre's contract. ;-)

Favre still has enough raw ability to be scary, but I think that his 'gunslinger' mentality will get him into a lot of trouble against the Pats bend but don't break secondary. IE Lotsa interceptions. The Pats improved LB corps should also make Favre less than comfortable. IE force more turnovers. With Favre in charge, the Jets might be slightly improved against other teams but I think they still lose to NE.

Well you heard that the Packers want a 1st round pick for Favre right? What would be beautiful is if the Jets shipped out the 1st round pick, then they go something like 4-12 and end up shipping a top 10 draft choice to Green Bay, meanwhile their CAP is crushed by the weight of Lord Favre's contract. ;-)

Favre still has enough raw ability to be scary, but I think that his 'gunslinger' mentality will get him into a lot of trouble against the Pats bend but don't break secondary. IE Lotsa interceptions. The Pats improved LB corps should also make Favre less than comfortable. IE force more turnovers. With Favre in charge, the Jets might be slightly improved against other teams but I think they still lose to NE.

ESPN Radio this morning reported they would take the Jets 3rd n 4th.

For where he was drafted, Ferguson is a bust and the worst LT in the AFC East, and Woody is a guard playing tackle who is is a few meals from being too massive. But you are right compared to the rest of the team it is a strength.

For where he was drafted, Ferguson is a bust and the worst LT in the AFC East, and Woody is a guard playing tackle who is is a few meals from being too massive. But you are right compared to the rest of the team it is a strength.

overall he is a solid player where he was drafted he is a bust. Being labeled the worst LT in a division with 2 pro bowl LT's and a NO. 1 overall pick is not exactly an insult. Even though how you put Long over him is beyond me.

Last edited:
At worst Woody is still a massive upgrade over Clement and theres no way to spin that

How can you say that when you haven't seen him play the position?

I believe that the number one draft pick is better than the number 4 draft pick who has proven his mediocrity. Ferguson is a lot closer to Gallery than Thomas in terms of high draft pick left tackles.

How can you say that when you haven't seen him play the position?

b/c I have seen Clement for two years and know there is no way Woody is not better. I understand its a 4 game sample but scouts said woody played pro bowl caliber in his limited time at RT last year. That alone is an improvement over Clement

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes