PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets practice week news & opinions (including Brady's shoulder)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Start JimmyG.

It will help in 2 causes:
- Gives Brady an extended and necessary rest.
- Showcase JimmyG before the trade deadline in case some team decides to offer a kings ransom for him.
Trying to get the logic here...

Rest Brady because it is "necessary" to do so given his physical status, i.e., presumably "injured."
Then use this "necessary" rest to enhance the trade value, before the trade deadline, of the guy who would replace him if Brady ever got "injured" again.

I think you need to rethink that one.

Brady has already experienced ~ a 16 game season's worth of sacks.
We also forget that Brady, for all intents and purposes, played a 15 game season last year, with three Bye weeks.
Four games. Bye. Eight games. Bye. Two games. Bye. SB.

On the strip sack at 3:10 in the 3rd, Brady came down on his left shoulder. I bet it happened there.

Then find a better center. Andrews ain't getting it done

Also a new left tackle should be major priority next offseason

Mason thuney and Cannon are all solid
Cannon has allowed more sacks than anyone on the OL. I believe it's 4.5.

It's not just the O line. The play calling and (un)availability of quick throws has a lot to do with it too.

If he gets the rhythm back they had with Edelman, there's no time for a rush. That's why I want Mitchell back off IR.

It is something YOU might need to consider, not Belichick.

Possibly a blue chip player in a controlled cost for 5 years still in time to learn something from the GOAT. Also all time constraint problems are solved. Its something you have to consider.

Brady's on the injury list with a shoulder injury. This is hardly a novel occurrence.

Tom has spoken about how he's trained himself to fall on his left side. This injury isn't a surprise considering how and how often he has taken hits this year.

I’m sure Tom is banged up. He’s been getting smacked around all season. He should sue the O-line. And it doesn’t have to do with age, even someone 10-15 years younger would be banged up after all of those hits.

Yup. I think Brady's toughness is not discussed enough. He takes a beating back there and always gets back up and does his thing.

Then find a better center. Andrews ain't getting it done

Also a new left tackle should be major priority next offseason

Mason thuney and Cannon are all solid
Mason is still more comfortable - and better - at run-blocking than pass-blocking;

Thuney really isn't that solid, at all;

And Cannon is probably still hurting.

Let's face it: this OL is who we thought - or at least should have thought - they really are.

And the backups, aside from (maybe) Karras? Fuhgeddaboutit.

Mason is still more comfortable - and better - at run-blocking than pass-blocking;

Thuney really isn't that solid, at all;

And Cannon is probably still hurting.

Let's face it: this OL is who we thought - or at least should have thought - they really are.

And the backups, aside from (maybe) Karras? Fuhgeddaboutit.

I agree. The Super Bowl championship Offensive line is what we thought they were.

No time for overreacting. The only things we know for sure are:
Brady has proven his resilience time after time over the years.
He's also 40 and taking a lot of hits.
They have a credible backup.

Beyond that, things will just have to play themselves out.

Snap time is a meaningless stat unless you're looking at a rookie QB. Snap to throw time is a function of the receiver progression, coverage, and whether the QB needs time to let a downfield play develop. The Patriots are taking many more shots downfield with Cooks and Hogan this season. They need time to get off the line and into the their routes. That article is basically saying the Pats should go to "chuck and duck."

The article then quickly shifts gears to the protection, which is the main problem. In Scar we trust, but hey, let's pick up the pace here. The Jets front seven is a good place to begin.

Snap time is a meaningless stat unless you're looking at a rookie QB. Snap to throw time is a function of the receiver progression, coverage, and whether the QB needs time to let a downfield play develop. The Patriots are taking many more shots downfield with Cooks and Hogan this season. They need time to get off the line and into the their routes. That article is basically saying the Pats should go to "chuck and duck."

The article then quickly shifts gears to the protection, which is the main problem. In Scar we trust, but hey, let's pick up the pace here. The Jets front seven is a good place to begin.
Of course it is a function of many factors, all of which need improvement.

Brady is taking 2.56 seconds to attempt a pass this season, according to PFF. He’s taking 2.67 seconds to throw, which includes sacks and scrambles. He’s averaging 3.35 seconds to be sacked.

Last season, Brady took 2.39 seconds to attempt, 2.49 seconds to throw and he averaged 3.11 seconds to be sacked.

I believe more vertical O from the start of 2017 will get balanced in the course of the season and Brady's game of quick releases will return more and so will OL's “statistics“.

From the start of the yr back in March when they traded #32 for Cooks it seemed quite obvious they wanted to do two things: 1) add a “wrinkle“ of legitimate deep/outside threat offense 2) make everyone respect their deep threat (or maybe it was vice versa;)). Trade for Dorsett further confirmed the case.

They didn't forget how to play short pass despite loosing Jules, Im sure. They have good, versatile options for that. But there's no hurry. Put the deep threat on film as much as possible and adjust/build/apply the 'no Jules' short threat options in peace..

Of course it is a function of many factors, all of which need improvement.

Brady is taking 2.56 seconds to attempt a pass this season, according to PFF. He’s taking 2.67 seconds to throw, which includes sacks and scrambles. He’s averaging 3.35 seconds to be sacked.

Last season, Brady took 2.39 seconds to attempt, 2.49 seconds to throw and he averaged 3.11 seconds to be sacked.

As always the trouble with just #s alone is that you can derive stuff like...
Look! The 2017 OL is holding off DLs before he's sacked a quarter second longer than last year, an improvement in OL protection!

I do think most here agree that w/o the ground squirrel, the O has shifted to a longer pass attempt attack which exposes the QB more to the pass rush.

I look for Josh to exploit the Jetes lack of cover ability by their LBs by throwing shorter routes to the TEs (yes, we have more than one!) and especially the RBs. Maybe an easier day for Tom or his sidekick Robin if the shoulder is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back