PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets hire Todd Bowles as new HC

I think both hires are the right kind of moves for the Jets. Too early to say if they'll be the right call for them, but if I was a Jets fan I would be cautiously optimistic.

The Jets job is so unattractive that it would be near impossible for them to land established, sought-after guys. They did the smart thing and went out and got lesser-known up-and-comers. I hate to admit this, but given the situation, I think Casserly made some pretty good choices. Sure it still has a good chance to blow up, but when you consider how unattractive the Jets jobs were, those are some pretty good hires.

With Rex going to Buffalo, the AFC East may be getting even more competitive.
Who is an established, sought after coach who was available?

Last edited:
Personally I think this might be a great hire by the Jets (damn it). I would have much rather had Rex still there. It looks like now the Jets might be much more professionally run organization. The clown car has officially moved north.

You have to be impressed with the job Bowles did with the AZ defense. Its one thing to win games after all the disastrous injuries his D had to deal with. Its another to keep winning when you have to play D over half the year without a QB on the other side......and still keep winning. He also seems to have universal respect around the league as a leader (you have to hate that). and some time working a really good HC in Bruce Arians

I don't know much about the GM, except he's a respected personnel guy, but there's more to being GM, than just personnel. So the jury is obviously out on both of them. IMHO based on nothing, I think the Jets just upgraded their FO and HC. To what degree, I have no idea.

BTW- I just caught an ESPN blurb talking about the official announcement of Rex Ryan and the Buffalo HC. Rodak the Bills' beat guy was there talking about how Jim Kelly is embracing the hire, and mentioning what former assistants will be coming with him (evidently most of his defensive staff). All pretty predictable and nondescript stuff until..,.,,. He talked about what Rex might say to the Buffalo masses to get them fired up. One thing he opined was that he might make reference to reversing the Bills' fortunes with the Pats, since he recently had "tormented the Pats" while HC of the Jets. :eek: Evidently Rodak missed the memo that points out that 1-7 record the last 4 years. :rolleyes: Once again Rex managed to get credit for losing close games in a league where close games are the norm.

He's gonna make Rex Ryan's defense look conservative by the amount of times he blitzes.

never to early to get scared out of your CL minds on this board....how about you give it a few games into the season before anointing Bowels the next coming of Amos Alonzo Stagg Lombardi...:rolleyes:

Well since Brady usually handles blitzes well. Jets should be easy to beat with Tom

Bowles To Jets:
R-E-L-A-X
More Like: E-X-L-A-X!

Well...it's better than Jack del Rio to the Raiders (poor, poor Raiders fans).

The circus may have moved up the NYS Thruway, but as long as Woody Johnson owns the JEST...they'll still be the JEST. I.e., they will still be doing colossally stupid things.

And they still won't have an offense.

Can Bowles straighten out qb smith after the torture smith endured under Ryan?

Smith could be huge for the jets if his head is straightened out.

Can Bowles straighten out qb smith after the torture smith endured under Ryan?

Smith could be huge for the jets if his head is straightened out.

Smith was a lousy prospect before he was drafted by the Jets.

You can't improve on stupid. You must delete it and try again.

The circus may have moved up the NYS Thruway, but as long as Woody Johnson owns the JEST...they'll still be the JEST. I.e., they will still be doing colossally stupid things.

Like hiring a rookie GM and a few hours later hiring a rookie HC and then chasing after an OC who's a senior citizen? All this after knowing you were going to fire your GM and coaching staff for weeks now? LOL, SOFJ!

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back