PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets have already inquired about Manning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly enough, sportsinteraction.com (popular betting site in N.America, which is rare considering all of the S.American ones) has the KC Chiefs as the betting favorite for where Manning will go.

I can see Pioli @ KC having interest because Manning in Denver could kill KC's chance to win the weak AFCW

looks like hes not gonna sign with an nfc team, so itll prolly be miami or the jets

Interestingly enough, sportsinteraction.com (popular betting site in N.America, which is rare considering all of the S.American ones) has the KC Chiefs as the betting favorite for where Manning will go.

The Chiefs OL is in shambles.

Pioli would be throwing in the towel on Cassel too.

I think the point here is that Sanchez clearly doesnt have the support of many of his teammates, and the coaching staff, theorectically in order to fix that, has come out and said they stand 100% behind him, and he is their QB.
By pursuing Manning, the coaching staff is, again, showing its phonyness, and the factions in the lockerroom that are antiSanchez have more ammo in their argument.
It is a dysfunctional franchise, so adding more dysfunction cannot be good.
Of course if they sign Manning, Sanchez will be cut, so that point is moot (other than the coaching staff being proven disinenuous) but does anyone really think Peyton Manning is going to sign on to be part of that circus?

No
and that is why it is so blindingly stupid for the Jets org to state that they have interest. A franchise with intelligence above a gerbil would pursue Manning in stealth mode. There are 3-4 of the 12 Manning suitors doing just that. A wise strategy if you have a fragile ego QB and a locker room divided over him. When the 98% probability that Manning does not choose the Jets comes to pass, the Jets will have a self inflicted wound. I love it.

Jokeresque....everyday I just seethe that we have to share the planet with this green crud

The Chiefs OL is in shambles.

Pioli would be throwing in the towel on Cassel too.

So what about Matt? Only paid a 2nd for him and it was several yrs ago. BFD.

And if Pioli is any good as a GM he can fix the OL in FA and the draft.

looks like hes not gonna sign with an nfc team, so itll prolly be miami or the jets

KC, Denver and JAX say Hi!

My bet has been on Seattle if NFC or MIA if AFC

Actually Denver may make the most sense. The AFC West sucks. The Broncos have some building blocks for a good team if they could have a QB who puts up points. They have a great o-line, some good WRs, a good RB, and some playmakers on defense. The only downside is the backlash of the Tebowites who are fiercely loyal.

This is what i was thinking as well. Tebow to JAX, and the Broncos sign a decent backup.

Last edited:
So what about Matt? Only paid a 2nd for him and it was several yrs ago. BFD.

And if Pioli is any good as a GM he can fix the OL in FA and the draft.

So, after paying Cassel an average of 13+ mil a season, KC will just walk way? GTFO Cassel will only cost the KC 5.35 mil this season.

And, Im sure Manning wont mind playing behind a ragtag KC OL with his surgically repaired neck as it gets on the job training protecting him. LOLZ

Cassel and the Chiefs worked out a six-year deal that will pay him in excess of $10 million a season, according to a source. The contract will keep Cassel with the Chiefs until 2014. The deal is for $63 million, with $28 million guaranteed, according to a source. He's going to make $40.5 million in the first three years of his contract.

Last edited:
Manning would have to be an idiot to even consider the Jets. IMHO, the Jets have a better shot at finishing fourth in the AFCE then they do competing for the crown.

Their time was 2008 and 2009, now their time is is past. Their lines both Offensive and Defensive are a mess. Thry have three good O-linemen, but unfortunately you need at least five; and then someone to step in and play when others are dinged.

The DL has no pass rush, and outside of Pouha not even middling talent.

The LBs were going over the hill last season; and the Safeties are no prize, worse than the Pats, even.

Who catches the ball? Problem child who was booted off the Steelers; or the guy booted off the Steelers AND the Giants? Both/either are a Team wrecker.

Add Manning and they climb two positions in the AFCE to around .500 and not even within waving distance of the Pats. I'd give the Phish an even chance to match their record or surpass it, even with Manning wearing the Jets colors.

The only thing I see ahead for the Jets is... rebuilding....

Reminds me of the love affair with F-a-r-r--h- r-r-v-e

Most of what you said is spot on except ripping the defense and them rebuilding. They finished in the top 5 in most defensive categories last year despite having little 'star talent' outside of Revis and to some extent Harris. Our safeties sucked last year, and so did our OLB, yet our defense still excelled. Rex could put a bunch of JAGs out there and we'd still have a great defense, cause that's his bread and butter.

Their core talent is all locked up for the foreseeable future (Mangold, Brick, Harris, Revis, Cro, hopefully Pouha follows). The Jets had a disappointing year last year, but did so winning 8 games. It's not a 4 win team. They have to plug in some big holes (RT, S, WR, OLB). If I see Wayne Hunter starting at RT next season I will kill someone.

Everything else you said is spot on. I personally can't see Peyton coming to us due to how volatile our organization is. My bet is still on Arizona, Seattle or Miami.

I personally can't see Peyton coming to us due to how volatile our organization is.

"Volatile"? Well, at least you got the last four letters right. It starts with F-U. ;)

Q:"how about that Jet defense?..."

A: "ELITE!!!! Ceiling Unlimited!!!!"

yup...JetsfaninPeace JetsfaninPeace 19

So, after paying Cassel an average of 13+ mil a season, KC will just walk way? GTFO Cassel will only cost the KC 5.35 mil this season.

And, Im sure Manning wont mind playing behind a ragtag KC OL with his surgically repaired neck as it gets on the job training protecting him. LOLZ

Cassel and the Chiefs worked out a six-year deal that will pay him in excess of $10 million a season, according to a source. The contract will keep Cassel with the Chiefs until 2014. The deal is for $63 million, with $28 million guaranteed, according to a source. He's going to make $40.5 million in the first three years of his contract.

What they've paid him is immaterial, that's sunk cost. Especially if his contract was structured (as it appears to have been) to absorb the bulk of that money up front. He had a roster rather than signing bonus in year 1, likely because the Chiefs had cap room as opposed to cash to spend. He got a $7.5M option bonus last season, but that would only create maybe $5M or so in dead cap, and that could be spread over two seasons if they were to trade him or cut him. Haley may have ruined him in his ill conceived tenure. And RAC seems to be in win now mode, as Pioli may be as a result. Deserate times result in desperate men taking desperate measures. And the possibility of Manning going to Denver may have them spooked to boot.

KC has tons of cap space to fix almost anything that ails them. Whether they will spend any cash remains the question because they haven't thus far in Pioli's tenure and the stadium refurbishing expenses excuse is getting pretty worn. The natives are restless and their targets of choice have always been Matt and Scott in that order for some reason. They loved the golf pro and they are pretty down with RAC...

the best fit for peyton in terms of what some of you people think he needs ( a dome) what everyone else thinks he needs ( a decent oline that excels with a quick release qb) and talent...is the saints

unfortunately they've got a qb already , albeit a pissed off qb

the best fit for peyton in terms of what some of you people think he needs ( a dome) what everyone else thinks he needs ( a decent oline that excels with a quick release qb) and talent...is the saints

That standoff with the pissed off QB is likely going to cost them a chunk of that OL and a couple of their talented WR. Besides, Manning would not co-opt Brees' squeeze play, and even if he would their shared agent, Tom Condon, wouldn't.

Not necessarily a dome, just decent/warm weather.

When it comes down to it, I'd bet anything that he goes to a team like MIA, ARZ, or SEA.

Of course another team can step in and offer more money, so anything's possible.

FWIW--ESPN did a story yesterday on Manning's winning percentage being barely over .500 outside in the months of Dec and Jan, so it's not just "us people." Even more compelling were the stats that showed a progressive downfall from the months of Sept--Jan, each and every month his winning percentage goes down a little further; thus proving that the colder it gets, the lousier he plays.

I'm sure he's very aware of his shortcomings in this matter. Whether or not more money can change his mind a bit remains to be seen.

Any team's O-line can be fixed up a bit in FA, and that's why they/he are promising to get the deal done before the start of FA on Tuesday afternoon; so they can make additional moves to better the team. There's also the draft in April, but you do make a good point that he should consider the offensive line too. I'm sure all sides of the matter will be looked at.

Last edited:
no shot the Jets get him, but u guys may still have to worry about him going to Miami

I'd love to see him in Miami, it would ratchet up the intensity in the east big time and Belcihik and Brady would be fired up for it, I think it would push the Patriots to a higher level and make the remainder of Brady's career even more interesting.

I don't see him going to the Jets. They don't have the money and they have a loudmouth coach and a lockerrooom in shambles.

If it is a bidding war Miami gets him, the Bidwell's won't outspend Ross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick