PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jets give Sanchez 5-year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jets' next opportunity to be a good football team will be after Sanchez is jettisoned and they theoretically manage to bring in a good NFL quarterback. This contract just delayed the possibility of that happening by at least two more years.

Dunno how any Jets fan can spin that as a good thing, but I'm sure they've found a way. It's likely tied to denial of the fact that Sanchez isn't going to suddenly become good.

The Jets fans have hitched their wagons to the "Sanchez = Eli" theory.

Shouldn't this thread be named " Why the Jets suck in 2012-2017 (again)".

The Jets fans have hitched their wagons to the "Sanchez = Eli" theory.

Yep. Big time.

Two thoughts.

The most disturbing part of this for Jets' fans should be Sanchez' reaction. He's saying things like (paraphrased) "now everybody on the team knows that the organization is committed to me and I am the leader." That's kind of like trying to be "Teacher's Pet" in an NFL locker room. NOT!

The not-so-small print of the deal shows that all the Jets did was restructure his contract to lower their cap hit this year, but with no guaranteed money after the 2013 season. So, it's really just a one year extension and a few extra bucks. Sanchez is playing for his job this season because he won't want to go into 2013 without a guarantee on the last three years.

Last edited:
tumblr_m0tymvZXVI1qclcbeo1_500.jpg

props for photo go to lolpats

Also, the Jets have re-signed NT Sione Pouha to a 3-year deal; $15 million with $9.5 million in guaranteed money. Smart move to lock him up but they're starting to run low on cap space. The $1.6 million teams got from the Washington & Dallas 2011 cap manipulations gave them $15.1 in cap space; this signing brings them down to about $9 or $10 million. With $5 million needed to sign rookies, that only leaves them with about $4 to $5 million in available cap space for free agents.

Last edited:
tumblr_m0tymvZXVI1qclcbeo1_500.jpg

props for photo go to lolpats

Also, the Jets have re-signed NT Sione Pouha to a 3-year deal; $15 million with $9.5 million in guaranteed money. Smart move to lock him up but they're starting to run low on cap space. The $1.6 million teams got from the Washington & Dallas 2011 cap manipulations gave them $15.1 in cap space; this signing brings them down to about $9 or $10 million. With $5 million needed to sign rookies, that only leaves them with about $4 to $5 million in available cap space for free agents.

Lol no. His cap hit for 2012 is not $5 million. It's around $1.5 million. They still have about $13-14 mil in cap space excluding rookies and a reserve fund for rookies.

Last edited:
Lol no. His cap hit for 2012 is not $5 million. It's around $1.5 million. They still have about $13-14 mil in cap space excluding rookies and a reserve fund for rookies.

Help me out.

Perhaps I am wrong, but considering the 30% rule, could you please explain to me how a 3-year $15 million deal could only have a $1.5 million cap hit? Was Pouha gullible enough to agree to a $10 million roster bonus in 2014?

The Jets had $13.4 million in cap space before Pouha resigned and the Jets tendered Maybin and other RFAs. The Jets do not have $13-14 million in space anymore. It is probably under $10 million. Jason at NYJetscap had the Jets at about $11 million (look at his math and not the number at the top because he never factored Maybin into that cap #) after tendering Maybin and before tendering anyone else or giving a contract to Pouha.

Give up hope now and save what's left of your sanity (if any). Your team is a putrid mess and no personnel moves can or will transcend that.

My favorite tweet of the day:

RichCimini Rich Cimini
Jets owner Woody Johnson said they "passed on" Peyton Manning.

Give up hope now and save what's left of your sanity (if any). Your team is a putrid mess and no personnel moves can or will transcend that.

you should be a monk with an "End Is Near!" green placard in your hand...maybe you can get them to convert...

you should be a monk with an "End Is Near!" green placard in your hand...maybe you can get them to convert...

They wouldn't understand. They have no perspective or reference points to navigate by. They wander aimlessly in a perpetual state of football purgatory with occasional stops in hell, of varying length and severity.

here's Woody in a snappy green Jet general outfit...

iraqinuke.jpg

Pretty much about my team. Can I say the same about your defense though?

Yep. Big time.

Two thoughts.

The most disturbing part of this for Jets' fans should be Sanchez' reaction. He's saying things like (paraphrased) "now everybody on the team knows that the organization is committed to me and I am the leader." That's kind of like trying to be "Teacher's Pet" in an NFL locker room. NOT!

The not-so-small print of the deal shows that all the Jets did was restructure his contract to lower their cap hit this year, but with no guaranteed money after the 2013 season. So, it's really just a one year extension and a few extra bucks. Sanchez is playing for his job this season because he won't want to go into 2013 without a guarantee on the last three years.

Yup spot on. It was the biggest window dressing extension ever. He got a $2.75 million guaranteed raise. Those last 3 years are not guaranteed at all. He has 1 year to prove himself or he'll be cut in 2013 with minimal cap hit. If he somehow turns out to be average to slightly above average QB he'll be a bargain for those last 3 years. The Jets are taking a risk he'll be the starting QB in 2013.

I'm not Sanchez's biggest supporter at all. I think as of now he's average at best and would rank him in the 16-20 range of QBs when you factor in playoff performances. With that said the extension made perfect sense and had to be done to give us cap flexibility for this year.

Pure Woody Johnson propaganda:

Woody Johnson is saying the Jets “passed on” Peyton Manning | ProFootballTalk

Joseph Goebbels would have been proud of such blasphemy.

Cmon, what Woody said is true. After Peyton told the Jets that he didn't want play in NY, the Jets brass decided that they didn't want Peyton over Sanchez. It was a decision they were always going to make, but Peyton turned them down before they could discuss the fact they had no interest in Peyton.

Yup spot on. It was the biggest window dressing extension ever. He got a $2.75 million guaranteed raise. Those last 3 years are not guaranteed at all. He has 1 year to prove himself or he'll be cut in 2013 with minimal cap hit. If he somehow turns out to be average to slightly above average QB he'll be a bargain for those last 3 years. The Jets are taking a risk he'll be the starting QB in 2013.

I'm not Sanchez's biggest supporter at all. I think as of now he's average at best and would rank him in the 16-20 range of QBs when you factor in playoff performances. With that said the extension made perfect sense and had to be done to give us cap flexibility for this year.

1.) You're stuck with him for an extra year because of the extension. The extension means that Rex and Tanny have 2 years to progress enough to please Woody or it's housecleaning time.

2.) Sanchez aspires to be in the 16-20 range. Unfortunately for him, and for Jets fans, he's been a bottom 10 QB all 3 years of his NFL career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3